PDA

View Full Version : 3D-bryce glass object

lemonbird
06-07-2004, 10:39 PM
Thank you all for such a nice welcome here! :) You've encouraged me and I started doodling in Bryce again. First time in a loooong time, so I'm having to relearn *again* all the stuff. :rolleyes: But I'm enjoying it. :) This is another boolean practice using glass. I must say I have forgotten just how long it takes to render these images...even simple ones. I really need to get my old puter hooked up to my network so it can chug away at the renders while I surf the net. :cool:

kptad2
06-07-2004, 11:06 PM
hi dragon fly.. nt sure if welcomed you in the other thread.. here it is now.. WELCOME :clap:

love your piece here.. whats the program that you are using??? and where can i get it .. :D :D :D :D :D im curious to see if i can try my hand at it .. again nice piece.kim

Michael
06-07-2004, 11:31 PM
OOOOOOoooo....I like...Something else for me to try my hand at now...Thanks April! :D

themanda
06-08-2004, 12:36 AM
wow, that's purty. :)

i can't even imagine how long that must take, or the steps that must be involved. i like it, though!!!

Jet
06-08-2004, 01:03 AM
April,
Now you're cooking jack !
That's more like it !

These kind of renditions really tax the cpu if there's not a powerful G-card present, which card you got, btw ?

Excellent look !

Regards

Andrew Rance
06-08-2004, 05:40 AM
Interesting piece! Is Bryce similar to Povray? (I've messed about with the latter, which is a ray tracing programme, and know how complicated these pieces are to do - and how long they take to render).

lemonbird
06-08-2004, 10:44 AM
kptad2: Thanks. :) It's called Bryce, it's version 5 and you can get it from www.corel.com It is a lot cheaper now than it was a few years back when I bought it.

Red: Thank you. :) You should try it, it's fun! :D

themanda: Thank you too. :) It is not as hard as it looks, but I am having to start all over again as it's been a while since I've played with it.

Jet Liera: Thanks. :) I've got a pretty good graphics card. It's an ATI Radeon. I believe it is in the 9000 series, but I do not remember offhand the exact model number. I'm at work, so I can't check it right now.

Andrew Rance: Thanks. :) I've never worked with PovRay, but Bryce is a ray tracing program so it does sound very similar. Yes, they do take a while to render. Especially if they're more reflective or volumetric (like volumetric water). That really slows things down. Of course, that is the effect I like the most. :)

JulieBoyles
06-08-2004, 10:53 AM
Hi April and Welcome!

I really love this image and the last one you posted was cool too! I'm not very familiar with 3-D, but I love to look at it! :clap: :clap: The blues in this piece are very soothing . I like it very much!!

Congrats,

Julie

lemonbird
06-08-2004, 10:55 AM
Julie:
Thank you. :)

Jet
06-08-2004, 02:58 PM
kptad2: Thanks. :)
Jet Liera: Thanks. :) I've got a pretty good graphics card. It's an ATI Radeon. I believe it is in the 9000 series, but I do not remember offhand the exact model number. I'm at work, so I can't check it right now.

That's quite a card..
ATI cards rock, not so expensive than "other" cards and yet, pretty fast and compact.

Kool ..keep 'em coming :)
:cool:

lemonbird
06-08-2004, 03:58 PM
:D Thanks. I made a point to have an ATI Radeon card when I bought my new computer. :evil: I had been drooling over it for a looooong time.

sundiver
06-08-2004, 06:21 PM
I don't understand any of the technical talk, and I know this sounds lame, but....wow! Awesome!

Michael
06-08-2004, 06:55 PM
No worries SunDiver,

Never any reason to talk too technical...LOL

After all, We are here to learn, observe, critique, compliment and ENJOY each others work!

lemonbird
06-08-2004, 07:03 PM
No worries SunDiver,

Never any reason to talk too technical...LOL

After all, We are here to learn, observe, critique, compliment and ENJOY each others work!
Yep. :) Thank you, SunDiver. :)

Michael
06-08-2004, 07:07 PM
Are there any demo programs out there that anyone may know of?

lemonbird
06-08-2004, 07:15 PM
Not from Corel. I checked. However, I did find a link to download the Bryce 4 demo version from here:

http://www.gentrycitylimits.com/DemoSoftwareA.htm

Bryce 4 is one version back, but will have most of the same features. There won't be metaballs or trees (I believe), but you should be able to get a good idea of how it works. Can't testify to the quality of the site I listed, but it looks like the download button still works. They've broken it up into pieces so that it would be easier to download (for slower connections). IT's around 19MB. Hope it works for you! :D

Chiers
06-08-2004, 07:40 PM
Cool image! I know nothing about 3d rendering but it seems difficult. I d/l a free progam a long time ago and played with it for about 15 min and havent been back...

Michael Amabilis 3d canvas is free. I don't even know what all can be done with it but you might want to check it out.

lemonbird
06-08-2004, 07:57 PM
Sherry, Thanks!! :)

Michael
06-08-2004, 08:09 PM
April,
You're dream..Thank you!!

Sherry,

You are the other dream...Gonna be trying that too!

lemonbird
06-08-2004, 08:37 PM
No prob. :D Always happy to see someone else delving into the realm of 3D.

Lactobeezor
06-08-2004, 09:08 PM
For a bryce demo goto:

http://www.mulawa.net/bryce/

This page has a several tutorals. These kind of programs are very addictive and fun to use. There are several examples of work at the bottom of the page. My preference is a program called "Carrara 3" and a demo for it is at:

http://www.eovia.com/carrara/demo_car.jsp

It is a more expensive but can do anything you can imagine. Well for programs under $1000.00. These programs are very fun to work with and PS and PSP programs can be used in adjunct with them.

And you do not need a high end video card to work with them. Almost any 2-d card is OK since the image is a still image. 3-D cards are required when your machine is rendering many of them in motion as in gaming.

lemonbird
06-08-2004, 09:11 PM
Yes, I just bought Carrara 3. :D :D :D :clap: :clap: :clap: I am eagerly awaiting it to arrive in the mail. I can't wait to use it. I plan on using it and Bryce together to render complex scenes. Have you used Carrara? It looks wonderful.

Michael
06-08-2004, 09:13 PM
Thanks Lacto!!

It is great to see you over here!!!!!!! :D :clap:

Chiers
06-08-2004, 09:36 PM
April, your welcome.

Michael u 2. I did manage to make a cool marble looking egg like shape and make a lil animation of it moving away and back but could never figure out how to post it. I think that 3d canvas might have lots of possibilities if one can figure it out. LOL

Cronious
06-09-2004, 05:56 AM
Great work April,

I tried 3D many years ago, but just couldn't get it to work for me.

You have done a exellent job with Bryce. I love the colours you have used.

lemonbird
06-09-2004, 08:19 AM
Cronius,

Thank you. :)

Freedom's poet
06-09-2004, 09:38 AM
I am a new member too!! This is awesome April. I keep looking and it and my eyes are drawn around by the glass. I have heard Bryce mentioned but really have no idea how it works. I do like what you have accomplished with it. :clap:

Susan

lemonbird
06-09-2004, 10:40 AM
Susan,

thanks! :)

BTW, I just noticed I have one star now! :D Yay for me!

Bryce is really meant to render landscape scenes. However, working with the basic shapes you can create all sorts of intersting objects in all sorts of materials. The shapes are things like spheres, cubes, cones etc. The idea is to take one object (i.e. a sphere) and make it a 'positive' shape. Then take a second object and make it a 'negative' shape. When positive and negative shapes overlap, the negative shape takes a "bite" out of the positive shape leaving a new shape. Hope that helps give you a little bit of an idea how things work. :)

Michael
06-09-2004, 12:24 PM
Congrats April!!! :clap:

Notice how nice I am to say that...even though I am mad at you? :mad:

I actually have to read and learn something now!!!!

LOL...Love this stuff....I am trying...Patiently....To learn this program well enough to save something...Soon maybe!!

Congrats Member! :D

themanda
06-09-2004, 12:43 PM
hi, lacto!!!! long time no see! um...type. whatever.

now, for some reason i've got bryce and poser tied together in my head. i know that poser is generally (always?) used to create people...is bryce the landscape version of that? i've looked at poser before, but it seems that everything i saw was template based. i know it's waaaay more complicated than all of that, but i didn't spend enough time to really even figure out what the proggy did. i like the work other people do.

at any rate, i still stand by my original assertion that this is fantastic and i'd like to see more.

lemonbird
06-09-2004, 12:48 PM
:D Thanks for the congrats. :)

Yes, it is fun, but does require some reading on how to make the darn thing work! :evil: Sorry 'bout that.

Can't wait to see what you create. If you decide to really make some complex scenes be warned it can takes DAYS to render. There is a way to 'pause' rendering so that you can save the render in stages in case you'd like to:

1. turn off the computer
2. save it in case your computer decides to gack up a hairball and reboots itself.
3. like to do something other than watch the darn thing render and render and render and ..... you get the point.

Then you can load the partially rendered scene and start the rendering process from there. I know of a person who had an extremely complex scence that took about 30 DAYS to render. 720 hours of rendering! She's the one who explained how to pause the rendering to me. :) (I was running win98 on a 300MHz puter back then and I knew my computer probably couldn't do 24 hours of continuous rendering time w/o rebooting or freezing up on me. )

I'll look it up when I get home and have access to Bryce again.

lemonbird
06-09-2004, 12:53 PM
Amanda,

Thanks. :) I will post more as I have time to render more. Looks like Red will be posting some soon too. :)

Yes, Poser creates 3D people and other 3D critters to put into your 3D scene. You can import them into the Bryce as a wire frame and render them in the scene so they have proper lighting etc applied to them. I don't have Poser so I can't give a more detailed explanation. Yes, Bryce is the sort of landscape version of that. You can create buildings and other 3D objects in Bryce too so that your person has something to live in, sit on etc. :)

Michael
06-09-2004, 12:54 PM
Days?...Good Grief!!!

LOL...Well...Funny thing about computers. We seem to complain about how they are working or how slow they are doing something, yet there we are....six inches in front of the screen, staring, mesmerized...in a hypnotic trance, watching the progress indicator creep inexorably onward. On and On until we are in a zone, no longer in touch with reality...focused only on the Final outcome!!!

Well...Either that or read while we wait :D

lemonbird
06-09-2004, 12:59 PM
:D lol, Yep. Either that or have a second puter doing the rendering... :evil:

That Bryce rendering I spoke of was from a few years ago. The artist was probably running it on a 500MHz machine. With computers now it might only take half of the time. :confused: But still that's 15 days!

Cronious
06-09-2004, 01:26 PM
Okay, ya got me i wanta have another go. I have been to the download site but the files are currupt and I can't get them to run :(

Anyone know where I can get a demo, or am I just gonna have to spend pennies to try this out?

Please help

Michael
06-09-2004, 01:29 PM
I dunno Clare,

I took them of the D/L sight..so I am at a loss now :(

lemonbird
06-09-2004, 01:36 PM
Clare,

Try and do a google search for "Bryce Demo". You really don't want the Bryce 3D demo as that is a VERY old version. You want a Bryce 4 or a Bryce 5 demo.

Cronious
06-09-2004, 02:33 PM
Ohh, I found one

This is a bryce 5 demo, but it ahs down loaded okay, I just need to restart my putter to check it works okay.

Thanks all, but I have to get to grips with it before I will be ready to post anything :rolleyes:

edit forgot the link DOH

EDIT AGAIN......I have removed the link as it gives you a trial version that has expired :rolleyes:

Going to just pay pennies I fear................ :(

Lactobeezor
06-09-2004, 06:03 PM
April;

I think you will find you like carrara much better, Even though you have learned on bryce and are going to have to overcome that you will like carrara better. There are some great sites out there for it and forums. Search Antione Clappier enclosed is one of his images.

lemonbird
06-09-2004, 10:41 PM
I saw that pic, it is phenom! The car pic of the silver car is what sold me. I cannot tell it is a render. It looks so real to me.

http://www.eovia.com//images/carrara/showcase/Car.jpg

Thanks for the advice. I will search on his name to find more tutorials. :)

lemonbird
06-09-2004, 10:46 PM
Cronius,

Found a Bryce 4 demo:

http://www.mulawa.net/bryce/

I clicked on it and it started to download so it looks like a working link. :) HOpe it works for you, let me know... :)

Also has a lot of tuts for those who are interested. :)

LadyAlba
06-09-2004, 11:33 PM
Wow! I like this makes me want to reinstall Bryce :clap:

Cronious
06-10-2004, 05:06 AM
Thanks April, I am down loading this one to try, I am also downloading the trial of the other program Carrara..........

Lets see what sort of mess I can make with these :evil:

justjean
06-10-2004, 08:07 AM
Great work Dragon Fly, Bryce is hard :)

lemonbird
06-10-2004, 08:44 AM
LadyAlba, thanks! :)

JustJean: Thanks to you too! :)

Cronius,
Great! I will be getting Carrara very soon. Any day now I would expect. :) I have no expereince in it yet, so I won't be able to help for a while, but it looks very cool. I'm excited about trying it. :) Can't wait to see what you come up with. :)

kyrospeare
06-14-2004, 08:52 PM
Hi April,

Your work is awesome! I was wondering if you have ever explored Maya. I believe you would like this program (although its pretty expensive) :(

Take Care :) ,

Kyro

kyrospeare
06-14-2004, 09:05 PM
oops, here's the link:

http://www.alias.com/eng/products-services/index.shtml

lemonbird
06-14-2004, 09:05 PM
Aww... thanks! :)

Yes, I would LOVE maya! However, it is WAY too expensive for me. :( I just bought Carrara Studio 3 and that has some very cool potential, I'm looking forward to learning it. Having some problems with my hand lately though so I'm trying to keep it immobalized as much as possible. Of course its my right hand... the one I use for everything! :rolleyes: So, I'm just going to have to be satisfied with reading the book for now and actually doing the work in a few days. :) **impatiently flips through book** :D

kyrospeare
06-14-2004, 09:18 PM
sorry to hear about your hand...hopefully nothing serious!!!

lemonbird
06-14-2004, 09:20 PM
Me too! :D I think just not using it for a few days will help. :)

Michael
06-14-2004, 09:20 PM
Everything? Hmmmm :p

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2004/31740-this.jpg

lemonbird
06-14-2004, 09:22 PM
:D heehee :evil:

Woof-a-Doof
06-15-2004, 11:40 AM
Good to see another Brycer! (and another Floridian + Aries)

One of the things I like to do when creating sculpture like things, such as your glass object, is to scrap the water/ground plane and take the sky and go to all black, or all white. What this does is removes the tell tale "horizon line" from the image, which immediately says "This image created in Bryce". Removing the water plane also removes any distraction from your sculpture.

Attached are images showing the "Black Ground" & "White Ground"

lemonbird
06-15-2004, 12:30 PM
Cool idea! :) Yes, it does have that trademark "made in Bryce" feel to it with the skyline. I really like the effect of not having the background and just having a plain color. I'm definately going to have to try that. :D I really like your pics. :) Thanks for the tip!

Michael
06-15-2004, 01:48 PM
Another Floridian Aries?.....Right On!! WE WILL CONQUER :evil:

Or something :rolleyes:

lemonbird
06-15-2004, 08:05 PM
Another Floridian Aries?.....Right On!! WE WILL CONQUER :evil:

Or something :rolleyes:

:cool: