PDA

View Full Version : Flapper

themanda
06-07-2004, 05:44 PM
i started this a week or two ago, and just was never pleased with it. first it looked too much like lara flynn boyle, then i didn't like the hair and she looked like she was going swimming in an ester williams movie. then she looked very, very angry (perhaps she was mad that i took her swimming bonnet away???) now she just looks marginally annoyed and marginally like lara flynn boyle.

ever have a piece that just WON'T work, no matter what you seem to do? i was just glad to reach a point where i could say this was done enough to walk away from it.

i do like the jewel in her hat, though. that was fun. :)

Chiers
06-07-2004, 07:43 PM
I like your flapper Amanda. The hat is too coool. She could use a bit of deeper shading and highlights to better define her features.

Michael
06-07-2004, 07:49 PM
I agree with the shading Sherry mentioned...and yes, the jewell is awsome...But the eye color is superb!!!..That is what I was really drawn to...Well done.

Jet
06-07-2004, 07:50 PM
Amanda , she has her own style...
try to think what botheres you of it and correct just that..
..i'm not that patient, if after a while she still doesn't behave , just paint some moustache on her and place a cowboy hat, so you can paint some dirt and sweat over...i believe if she hears what you're about to do, she will behave from then on.... :mad:....... ;)

Don't try too hard ...

Regards

Andrew Rance
06-07-2004, 08:20 PM
She's very cool!

JulieBoyles
06-07-2004, 08:22 PM
This is really great Amanda! :clap: :clap: Your sense of color in your skin tones is developing more with each painting you do! I really like the choices you made in this one. On your next one, be brave and go darker in your shadowed areas! ;) :D I have a lot of trouble in this area myself so I know how it feels! You're doing great, keep up the good work!! :D

Congrats,

Julie

janettbea
06-07-2004, 11:00 PM
Hi--She looks very authentic....even has that "bee stung" mouth , nana often told me about. Very good work....

Janet B.

themanda
06-08-2004, 12:27 AM
i'm afraid of the dark!!!! whenever i try to go deep into those shadows, all my ladies start looking like drag queens.

i've been painting women mostly because you can emulate makeup and smooth skin, and it's just easier. i think i've reached a point where i've got to start taking some risks and pushing it and paint with some real texture to the skin. yeah...that's it. craggy. pocked. that sort of thing.

thanks for the comments. jorge, if she gets out of line again, i'll take her hooch away. :)

Yako
06-13-2004, 01:17 PM
She looks like a lady of the forties. I agree with you about keeping the jewel it adds something interesting to the picture.... :)

nytefall
06-14-2004, 10:18 AM
she looks great :) really nice skintones, and that hat looks like it was a real pain to paint.

i would like to see more shadows (im sort of nitpicky about that), but i know they are very intimdating!

shes beautiful, regardless :)

justjean
06-14-2004, 07:33 PM
Definitely a flapper Amanda, love the colouring on that hat :clap: