PDA

View Full Version : 6/5 WDE-Tomatoes - FINAL

purplelizard
06-07-2004, 02:46 PM
YAHOO! It's done - my wireless internet has been down for the day and I couldn't update as promised yesterday. Thank you for all the praise and adoration :) -y'all are making me blush! :o All I did was deepen a few shadows and refine/blend some of the highlights. I really didn't do too much.

...and I've got TWO people that think they want to buy it. Mmm...I'll believe it when they "show me the money"! :p b What's a beginner pastel, 13" x 18" go for? I know how I price my oil paintings, but I get pastels done a lot faster. Thoughts??

So, I'm sitting at a wireless internet cafe, drinking my coffee...time to catch up on all of those threads I promised to look back in on! Ahhh! I'm so way behind!

Thanks again for all feedback!

sundiver
06-07-2004, 03:08 PM
...and I've got TWO people that think they want to buy it.

Woo-Hoo! Another WDE money-maker! :clap: I can see why, too, they're so juicy and ripe-looking.

artbyjune
06-07-2004, 03:11 PM
Very yummy!!

FriendCarol
06-07-2004, 03:55 PM
Oh, yes! The tomato I bought this morning is a complete nonentity compared with these lovely globes; however, your painting inspires me to make a (very late) sandwich for lunch as soon as I've posted this! They really do look deliciously appealing, almost glowing from within!

About pricing... My "online PC" was off for a week after I mentioned I'd sorta priced my WDE watercolor according to how long I spent on it -- so I've never been back to check that thread. (But I will, I will!) Do artists price according to how long something takes (or what it costs, when canvas and more expensive raw materials are being used)? For a beginner like me, I felt $10/hour for a watercolor was very reasonable, but I know I tend to price my skills too low. But you're accomplished (no matter how long you've been working), while my work is still pretty amateurish.

As a writer, when I'm not working for free, I get $60 an hour. Others who do my sort of work (often far less effectively!) charge quite a bit more... but I feel that would be unjust in a society where minimum wage is about $6. On the other hand, it's also about demand, isn't it -- if I could work as writer any time I chose, I doubt I'd charge as much as $60/hr for my grant-writing, technical writing, etc. So to be fair, artists probably should also charge enough to make up for the fact that they don't sell that many pieces in a week or month.

Maybe an artist ran a poll on pricing on this site somewhere? Or we should start one? :)

Celia
06-07-2004, 09:15 PM
Your piece turned out beautifully........ I would think that you could name your price as a gallery would....... when I have people ask me to draw portraits of them, I ask enough that I can cheerfully spend the time to do a good job on something that I otherwise wouldn't have chosen to draw ....... if I dont get paid well enough, I decline, and I choose my own subjects to draw...... $350.00 for an 11" x 14" graphite vignette seems reasonable to me...... it takes me a week or so to get it to a finished condition....... sometimes longer...... and if it's more than one person, the price is higher........ of course, if it's something that I really want to do, then I may do it for free........ if it's stuff you already have lying around and don't have a real sentimental interest in it, then you can just go with the flow...... good luck........

celia

Yokovich
06-07-2004, 09:22 PM
nice myriad of unique color!!! nicely done!! :clap:

ctmobitz
06-07-2004, 10:59 PM
Gotta love them TOMATOES!

Claude

dabblerdot
06-08-2004, 03:54 AM
Congrats on the two interested parties ! Hope one of them antes up the money soon ! This has really developed into a luscious painting indeed ! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Pricing is tricky- you have to make back the price of frame, mats, glass, canvas, paints, mounting materials etc. and still be paid fairly for your work. Is original thought worth more or less than a repetative job ? I thought so but haven't seen it borne out in real life.
Owner of my local art supply shop said one needs to have 50 + pieces sold out in the real world before you can expect to ask for an increased value (ie not minimum wage) per piece.
If you use a gallery to sell your work, it generally charges double the amount you receive back, as they keep approximately 50% for providing a venue for you. Then it gets more complicated because if a client comes directly to you (instead of a gallery) hoping for a lower price since the middleman is eliminated, you really shouldn't directly sell a painting for half the amount the gallery expects, because they then feel you are undermining them and get angry. (As in telling you to 'get lost')
A well-known artist near here charges about $1.25 per square inch of canvas painted (oils and acrylics) excluding framing- he works big canvases, like 24x36 and up, and just finished a 50"x60".
I can tell you for sure that pricing a painting because it's emotionally important to you is a mistake- others rarely have the same connection and won't pay what you may feel its worth.
Sorry to be so long-winded on this- you can tell it's a sensitive subject :D :D

Charlie's Mum
06-08-2004, 07:21 AM
A beautiful painting, lively and luscious!
Sympathise with the pricing difficulty, but remember, you're only a 'beginner' at pastel work, all the other learning and experience are in place already.
My husband thinks it's better to price a little lower and sell than try the true worth and not sell! Valid argument.
Try an auction with the interested parties, with a reserve price set by you!
Good luck - hope you sell, it's good! :) :clap: :clap:

purplelizard
06-08-2004, 09:20 AM
Dabblerdot and Charlie's Mum - thank you for your pricing advice. I guess the longer I do this, the less "attached" I'll get - some pieces feel like a part of me and you want them to go to a good home, like a puppy or kitten! I may solve the tomato issue by just keeping it and giving it to my in-laws as part of their 50th anniversary gift this fall - they have this thing about home-grown tomatoes - my mother-in-law will go to (embarassing) extremes to secure tomatoes from local gardeners. (She just walks up to their doors and asks if she could buy some.....for starters).

I, too, price my oil paintings by the inch, which works ok. No where near a $1.25 though!

As far as auctions (ie, Ebay) - for now, I will steer away from that. I've read too much negative here on WC about problems with ebay and other sellers not following the rules.....I'd get eaten alive! Currently, I am working on my own website, which will be a good start.

Off to entire day's worth of errands - in the rain! :rolleyes:

Thanks for everyone's input - it is SO helpful!

Kristen

stonewhiteclown
06-10-2004, 06:36 AM
Ah! Tomatoes!

:music: (by Genesis)
Turn and run!
Nothing can stop them!
Around every river and canal their power is growing.
Stamp them out!
We must destroy them!
They infiltrate each city with their thick dark warning odour.

They are invincible.
They are immune to all our herbicidal battering. :music:

:evil: I'm kidding! :D
Good job! :clap:
When I've shown my mum refs on Sunday she admitted tomatoes from her garden are much nicer (albeit it's couple of months early :D)
But artist like you can make perfect painting from any subject!

purplelizard
06-10-2004, 12:27 PM
Alex, i was laughing so hard you nearly made my coffee come out my nose!
(eeeeeewwwwwwww!)

thanks for the laugh - and sinus work!(LOL) :D ;)

theIsland
06-12-2004, 10:03 AM
Kristen, I'm delighted to hear about your possible buyers. This piece would also make a great gift. Such decisions! Me, I'm enough of a mercenary that I'd just do another one, save the best one for the anniversary gift, and sell the other one. :) (Oh, and don't let a few negative remarks about eBay scare you away, if you should ever get the auction bug. Different people have different experiences on eBay, and those who have negative experiences speak the loudest.)

Your tomatoes look very dramatic! I like how you've used warm and cool light. I can actually look at this pastel and remember how most of the light in the kitchen was coming in through a southern window in mid-afternoon, bathing one side in a golden glow, but cooler light came through the east-facing windows. You've captured that very well. I really how you've packed a lot of color in these little guys. Nice job!

Noma