PDA

View Full Version : WDE 6 June- Brown realism horse-2nd

artbyjune
06-07-2004, 01:15 PM
After the fantasy, I decided to try a realistic rendering of the horse.
Same materials- gouache, on paper.

I loved doing the 2 different versions of the horse. I am in the mood to do more horses. They are very interesting to paint.

Oh forgot to say this took about 3 hours. The fantasy version took a lot less.

Jet
06-07-2004, 01:20 PM
...A warm realistic look with a twist !

Looks very well done...
...my horses look like tall dogs .. :mad:

Regards

artbyjune
06-07-2004, 01:32 PM
I think my brown horse looks a bit glum actually!! Must have been because I was concentrating too hard....

dragonlady
06-07-2004, 01:53 PM
I'm so glad you did a second one. This is lovely, he looks as if he's yearning for whatever's on the other side of the wall.

Celia
06-07-2004, 02:13 PM
I love your horse portrait....... it is classy and very warm and realistic........ nicely done.......

celia

artbyjune
06-07-2004, 02:23 PM
Thank you- Dragon lady and Celia.
I wonder, though, if the picture might look better cropped to a horizontal format??

hopefulbucky
06-07-2004, 02:42 PM
Wow, stump , must say I really enjoy this realistic rendering of the horse. His coat and mane are wonderful and that sparkle in his eye. You did a fantastic job. You got to both render your imagination and realism in one WDE great job.

purplelizard
06-07-2004, 03:46 PM
Hi stump! Loved your psychadelic horse, but this one is even more fabulous. And just my opinion, I like the cropped version. The wall in #1 occupies as much space as the horse, and for some reason, it works better in version #2. only an opinion.

Lovely - and he's not glum - he wants the grass that is always greener on the other side...... :D

kristen

dabblerdot
06-07-2004, 07:05 PM
This has turned out so rich and realisticly (is that a real word?) ,he's beautiful. :clap: For what it's worth, I prefer the uncropped version- like I said in the fantasy version, I like the story being told when seeing his environment. :)

Chiers
06-07-2004, 07:11 PM
This is beautiful! Very nice job. :clap:

I love to paint horses too but haven't done one that wasn't digital in a long time. And I have a gouche set but have never tried to paint an entire picture with it, just touched up the occasional watercolor. I guess I will have to find them and give it a try. You do very well with it.

Deano
06-07-2004, 08:08 PM
Hi, June...I really like this version. The muscles are well defined and the purple shading adds interest. :clap: :clap:

Yokovich
06-07-2004, 09:38 PM
I love the tilted wall in the first version---the cropped one doesn't have that GREAT wall that seems to add alot to the piece. A really nicely done horse and I so enjoy the surroundings you gave him--superb work you must be really proud of this--I would be!!

artbyjune
06-08-2004, 02:56 AM
Many thanks for the comments. I will leave the wall in the picture for now. Gouache paints are rather good to use for a painting Chiers, you should get them out and use them...simple technically, which gives you freedom.

Ta all, your comments made my day. ;)

June

Charlie's Mum
06-08-2004, 07:26 AM
He's lovely June - liked your fantasy work too, but this is smashing!
Reminds me of some of the illustrations from annual books way back in the dark ages when I was a girl!!!!!! :D

artbyjune
06-08-2004, 02:10 PM
Thanks Charlies mum (Maureen). He does have that old-fashioned chidren's book illustration feel about him. Maybe its the gouache- because that's a popular medium for kids books, I think. :)

theIsland
06-12-2004, 10:35 AM
Yikes! You're versatile! Hard to believe the same person did this version, and the fantasy version. Both are wonderful. You've done a great job on both the background, and the horse. Your drawing is accurate, and your colors pleasing. He looks a lot friendlier in your version. :)

Noma