PDA

View Full Version : Wacom tablets

Aqua Artist
06-07-2004, 08:44 AM
I have been fooling around with digital photography for a few years now and my artistic leaning is taking over and I find that I cannot leave a photo be, it has to be creative or I get bored! I have been reading that these wacom tablets are a must for this kind of work, but I must count my pennies and can only purchase what is really a 'can't do without' item. Would like to hear from those of you who recommend them and why! Thanks so much!
I mostly work in Photoshop, I have illustrator, but have not figured it out yet!'

This peice is called "The Unquiet Mind' and represents the bombardment of negative messages and our attempts to silence them so that we might hear the quiet whisper of our more abundant blessings..

Michael
06-07-2004, 09:14 AM
WACOM graphire3. That is the way to go...and the general consensus here :D

As a plus, it comes with Classic Painter and is $99 US.

Love the work you did on this...Nice compisition and flow to the piece!

Welcome to the Digital Arts forum!!!!

Drop on by The Asylum one day and look at the work there too.
JUST CLICK HERE. (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=96)

Elvira
06-07-2004, 09:20 AM
A Wacom Tablet is a must for having fun and the best result with Digital Art of any kind, the Intous 2 is probably my first choice but if the cash isn't there the Graphir is an excelent choice it size will be fine for you as well largere tablets are not a muxt some one who is use to to drawing with large stroke may find them of use ut generaly because the pad is mapped to your screen and once you are use to the pad and stylus you don't pay alot of attention to it but consentrate on the action happening on the screen.

The advantage of the Intous is that it has higher pressure sensitivity and other control functions such as tilt etc. and there are specialized stylus avaiable that simulate the feel and action of for instance an airbursh with wheel or the touch sensitivity of a paint brush.

I started with the Pen Partner the forrunner of the Graphir and found it quite satisfactory and would probably be still using it if some one hadn't given me their old Intous 2 with the same pad size.

You can often get a recoditioned one from Wacom at a good price. When you get a new one Painter Classic comes bundled with it and I think it is a program that once you got use to it you would also love as an adjunct to PhotoShop but be warned it is addictive and soon you would want the whoe program Painter 8 or perhaps 9 by the time you could get it LOL.

The result you are getting with a mouse it fantastic but with a stylus and pad your hand will be forever gratful and the result Wow!
Edie

Aqua Artist
06-07-2004, 09:26 AM
Thank you so much for your quick replies, very informative! I will check out your suggestions!
(Thanks for the compliments and encouragement as well!)
Susi

lemonbird
06-07-2004, 11:11 AM
I have an Intuous 2 and it's wonderful. :) Check ebay... you might luck into a good deal. :)

Andrew Rance
06-07-2004, 11:44 AM
Susi, I'm amazed that you did this with a mouse - I'm sure you will find the whole process so much easier (and more fun) with a Wacom. I have the smallest one, and the initial learning curve was fairly steep (I am from the old-fashioned pen and ink fraternity, so found the comparitive lack of response offputting at first). But I have since learned to love my Wacom!! You won't be disappointed.

Jin
06-07-2004, 12:04 PM
Hi,

Some of what I'll say below Elvira's already mentioned, but I'll try to put my comments and hers all together in one message to hopefully cover all of the important things:

Wacom is a very good company, they make solid products, their tech support is free, and they're always friendly and helpful. I usually call them since I don't like waiting for e-mail and also prefer to talk "live" with them as things can come up in a phone conversation that are more easily answered that way.

Wacom sells refurbished tablets that come all of the same software that's bundled with their new tablets, plus a one year warranty.

You can keep an eye on this page as the list of available refurbished tablets changes frequently as do, if I remember correctly, the prices:

http://wacomdirect.wacom.com/wacomdirect/reftablet.asp?

I'd suggest buying a USB tablet rather than a Serial tablet as I've heard that USB is the newer connection method.

Graphire tablets have 512 levels of pressure sensitivity and do not support Tilt.

Intuos 2 tablets have 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity a do support Tilt, meaning you can set the brush variant to respond to the angle at which your stylus (or pen) is held while painting.

6 x 8 inch tablets seem to be the most popular size. That is, a 6 x 8 inch working area. The actual Intuos 2 - 6 x 8 inch tablet's "footprint" is about 13 x 10 inches.

When I decided to upgrade from my very old (8 or 9 years without a single problem) 6 x 8 inch ArtZ II tablet.. the rough equivalent of today's Graphire tablets.. I purchased a 9 x 12 Intuos 2.

After getting it home and seeing how much desk surface it consumed, I returned it for the less expensive, and much more manageable 6 x 8 inch Intuos 2. It provides plenty of space for me to paint and draw and I can keep the tablet next to my keyboard to switch back and forth (or use both at the same time stylus in right hand, making keyboard shortcuts with my left hand) easily and comfortably.

If you buy a Graphire tablet, it'll be fine and I think you'll be very happy you did. Later, if you can afford and feel the need, you can always buy an Intuos 2 tablet (or whatever model it may be at the time).

As others have said, using a tablet and stylus is also good for relieving repetitive stress on wrist, hand, and fingers. This can be a big deal, especially if you work long hours clicking a mouse (oh how that can hurt)!

Good luck! :)

avian
06-07-2004, 02:10 PM
I use the wacom tablet with painter classic...
I can't say more because I don't speak well english...you can see my draws ...
ciao, André

Michael
06-07-2004, 02:17 PM
Andre..you speak english very good...So type away :D

Aqua Artist
06-07-2004, 02:26 PM
Andre..you speak english very good...So type away :D

Thank you for all the great info. I am thinking I should save for the intuos 2 if that is the best. I have had horrible problems from the mouse which resulted in shoulder sugery from 'fozen shoulder' so this sounds medically sensible also!

peoplepainter
06-07-2004, 03:07 PM
Ohhhhhh Yeah!

I started with Pen Partner and broke it trying to replace the tip. Moved to the Graphire 2 I think. Loved it. Broke it too.
Now I have the Intuos 2 and didn't realize what I was missing. It is great. I have the 6 X 8. I got mine at a school for much cheaper and they didn't require you to be a student.
You will never use a mouse again for anything.

Aqua Artist
06-07-2004, 03:55 PM
I am a student and a teacher so perhaps I can get a discount!!!