PDA

View Full Version : WDE June 6:Tempting the Tastebuds WIP

Charlie's Mum
06-07-2004, 07:56 AM
Don't know when I'll finish this so thought I'd post to let you know I AM working on it!!!!!
OPs, approx 25x18cms, on an acrylic, canvas textured paper, 50mins so far.
Thanks for looking and I'll be back to see everyone else's work later - promise! :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2004/30494-Tomatoes_WIP.jpg

cmwynn
06-07-2004, 11:17 AM
Good colors on this so far. It must be summer, this photo is so popular. Would it be that much a favorite in winter?
Connie

FriendCarol
06-07-2004, 12:12 PM
It looks promising so far -- I'll try to return later this week to see your progress. The tomatoes you've done so far are very nicely rounded (modeled)! I see you used yellow to draw the preliminary outline; I used to 'draw' with yellow (with a brush) sometimes, when starting a tricky watercolor landscape (a rounded bridge made of stones, for example). With OP's, do you usually draw in the main hue of the item, or do you always use yellow and plan to cover it?

Those tomatoes were certainly one of this week's most popular images. I just bought one in a store, but it's nowhere near as tempting as those pictured (in anyone's picture). :(

artbyjune
06-07-2004, 01:38 PM
Very nice so far.

Yokovich
06-07-2004, 02:04 PM
a lovely beginning!!

Celia
06-07-2004, 02:10 PM
These are beautiful, luscious, believable tomatoes....... nicely done......

celia

hopefulbucky
06-07-2004, 02:43 PM
Maureen, different feel than the others but very very nice. I like this. Will check back to see how it is going.

purplelizard
06-07-2004, 03:42 PM
Deliciously good looking thus far! Will check back later! :clap:

dabblerdot
06-07-2004, 06:59 PM
I'm glad you posted even at this early stage- great start- that's gorgeous fabric texture happening on the right already :)

Deano
06-07-2004, 08:24 PM
Heck of a nice start. Everything you've done is pretty nailed down immediately. It's going to be great.

Charlie's Mum
06-08-2004, 08:05 AM
Just like to say 'thank you' to you all - have tried to see some others and will be back later. :)

Charlie's Mum
06-08-2004, 04:49 PM
Update after a further hour - still unfinished, probably another hour to go I think. I'm having difficulties with the darks because of my limited range of OPs - must get more!
I like the soft, buttery feeling as they warm up but I've so many layers in places that I think this needs to rest and harden - OPers, is this what happens?
F/carol - I don't 'usually' do anything as a rule with OPs - not enough experience with the medium yet; I chose the yellow for the drawing as the lightest in the scheme and, therefore, the easiest to cover! :)

WIP after 2 hrs.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2004/30494-Tomatoes_WIP2.jpg

stonewhiteclown
06-09-2004, 06:24 AM
Very believable tomatoes, and plenty :D! There is sense of strong daylight... Coming along good! :clap:
Yes, OP'ers say OPs harden rested. They aslo say putting piece into fridge helps when layering gets tough :D

Charlie's Mum
06-09-2004, 11:37 AM
Very believable tomatoes, and plenty :D! There is sense of strong daylight... Coming along good! :clap:
Yes, OP'ers say OPs harden rested. They aslo say putting piece into fridge helps when layering gets tough :D

Thanks for the tip Alex - and the nice comment! :)
Have finished now - for better or worse! - so here's the completed basket of fruit. :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2004/30494-Tomatoes_-_finished.jpg

For some reason it seems to scan darker than IRL, but wasn't happy with attempts to brighten, so I've left it alone!

theIsland
06-09-2004, 01:11 PM
Beautiful! Great texture, color, and dimension on these little guys. Your directional strokes really help define the shape of the tomatoes. I'll have to print all the tomato pics and show them to the guy who grew these tomatoes - he'll be so proud. :)

Noma

Charlie's Mum
06-09-2004, 02:20 PM
Beautiful! Great texture, color, and dimension on these little guys. Your directional strokes really help define the shape of the tomatoes. I'll have to print all the tomato pics and show them to the guy who grew these tomatoes - he'll be so proud. :)

Noma
Thank you Noma - I really appreciate your comment - and the proper toms were a super bunch, so please say 'thanks' to the grower too! :)

sundiver
06-09-2004, 04:36 PM
I like the soft, buttery feeling as they warm up but I've so many layers in places that I think this needs to rest and harden - OPers, is this what happens?

Yes. I have occasionally stuck mine in the fridge for half an hour if I was in a hurry; otherwise I leave it overnight.
And this turned out lovely! My favorites are the two in the very front..yum!

purplelizard
06-09-2004, 06:10 PM
Oh, Maureen, these look positively DELICIOUS! Wonderful colors and very appealing! Wow! :clap:

katju
06-09-2004, 07:37 PM
Your tomatoes turned out totally terrific!!! :D

Kathy

Charlie's Mum
06-12-2004, 12:44 PM
Late 'thank yous' - so busy using time to look at all the other super works!
Thanks Wendy for your comment and the tip about the fridge! :)
Thank you also Kristen and Kathy - if we put all our toms together we could make a huge pan of tom. soup for the rest! :D

lorna12
06-12-2004, 02:46 PM
You did a fabulous job on these tomatoes....op's are interesting to work with aren't they? You make it look easy....your color choices are wonderful and really give the subject life!

Everyone who did the tomatoes in all the mediums did a great job....It was this one or the cherries for me and the cherries won, but now I'm itchin to do these.

Charlie's Mum
06-12-2004, 03:13 PM
Thank you so much Lorna, your comment is much appreciated!
I have the cherries, the Truck Stop pic and the pink roses lined up - with wall space waiting! But they are for after this week's WDE! :)