PDA

View Full Version : WDE June 5 red truck WIP

stonewhiteclown
06-07-2004, 06:21 AM
Noma, your images are awesome! Many thanks!

So here it comes... all time low.., When pencil outlines were ready I found out I used wrong (smooth) side of a paper :eek: The rest was going in similar silly way. This is 2 hrs progress. Will try to finish it tonight, but I think it's a big flop anyway.
Oil pastels 9x12". Comments are welcome, suggestions too.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2004/30926-redwinestart.jpg

Deano
06-07-2004, 10:24 AM
Hi, Alex. Looks like a good start to me...here's why: precision drawing of all the elements, good value range, use of warm and cool colors. I've done that too. Accidentally do a detailed drawing on the wrong side. :rolleyes: Just hang in there with it and you will make new discoveries.

cmwynn
06-07-2004, 11:00 AM
Good drawing and colors. Isn't it nice to have an excuse when something doesn't turn out the way you think it should? We wouldn't have known if you hadn't said, but it was probably harder to get the texture you wanted.
Connie

dabblerdot
06-07-2004, 12:39 PM
Hey, Alex, take a few deep breaths, relax, and maybe have a sip of that wine. Be patient :cool: :) - it's going really well and is just at that'ugly duckling' stage that nearly all (certainly all of mine!) go through. This very good foundation will come together with some more time and those final highlights (and lowlights) and I expect you'll have something to be very pleased with ! I'm finding it frustrating :( now to NOT get things done in the 2 hour time window, but I'm also finding that it's OK when the project takes longer ! Everything has it's time and place ! My hat's off to you for tackling OP's , and boy do you ever have my agreement for what a tough taskmaster they are ! :clap:

FriendCarol
06-07-2004, 03:31 PM
How odd. This is the smooth side, and it looks as if crayons were used instead of OP; I would have thought one would get more of those white sparkly bits on the rough side!

Anyway, aside from the fact that it looks a bit "crayony" (does what I said make any sense at all?!), it seems to be coming along nicely. (And maybe some folks will like the "crayony" look.) The drawing has a very nice perspective... Bottoms of glasses seem too small, but I suspect that's the fault of the glass blower rather than the artist! I also like the way the light comes through the leaves and onto the tablecloth <scrolls down again quickly to check that it's a cloth>... Yes, nice lighting effect on the cloth or straw mat or whatever it is! :)

purplelizard
06-07-2004, 03:39 PM
I learn something new everyday - I thought OP's were supposed to be used on smooth paper! silly me! I guess I've been struggling all along and didn't know it! :rolleyes: :D Ah, well, Alex this looks wonderful at the stage its in - please post your progress. The colors are rich and I like your textures!

Keep going! Don't let the paper win!:p

stonewhiteclown
06-07-2004, 05:55 PM
Thank you guys, you are able to turn night to day! Now I'm looking at it with new eyes. You really get me going! Probably shall not finish today, but I promise to post my progress tomorrow as I scan it.

Hey, Alex, take a few deep breaths, relax, and maybe have a sip of that wine.
Oh, latter usually helps :)
Everything has it's time and place !
I suppose it to take time ahead of space now :D
How odd. This is the smooth side, and it looks as if crayons were used instead of OP; I would have thought one would get more of those white sparkly bits on the rough side!
If it were rough side I'd be able to work them into surface more :cool:

Anyway, aside from the fact that it looks a bit "crayony" (does what I said make any sense at all?!), it seems to be coming along nicely. (And maybe some folks will like the "crayony" look.)
It didn't 'sparkle' that much in RL, I suppose reflected light shines through. I have an idea for tomorrow to place something dark on back when scanning to prevent it. Scanning is not easy these days :D But it does look flat, however. More work on this side.
Yes, nice lighting effect on the cloth or straw mat or whatever it is! :)
Noma worked hard to make sure noone would be able to paint that rag 'as is' :evil:

Chiers
06-07-2004, 06:44 PM
This looks pretty darn good to me. I hope you finish it.

stonewhiteclown
06-08-2004, 05:16 AM
Thank you, Sherry! I'm on my way. Here is my progress (another 2+ hrs). Basically I went turp happy on purpose of eliminating white patches. Then corrected perspective on the left part of wooden board, added shadow also. Some scratch work, neck and hilights/reflection added on the bottle. Kinda blue shadows on cloth. Then I decided I don't want white table here, light green seemed resonable choice. Glasses left, so I have pretty good chance to ruin it yet :D So far it got better and not so dull as initially I believe.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2004/30926-redwine2progr.jpg

Charlie's Mum
06-08-2004, 06:43 AM
Alex, this is coming along nicely! You know, they say never to judge a half-finished piece - no one else knows what's in your mind! But I think that what's in your mind must be pretty good so I'll wait for the rest!!!!!!!!!! :)
Whatever you do, DO NOT BIN IT!!!!!

sundiver
06-08-2004, 11:55 AM
Some turps is what I was going to suggest, but you've already done that. That made all the difference. Keep going; you're on a roll!

artbyjune
06-08-2004, 02:18 PM
I think its looking colourful and lively. Looking forward to the finished picture. ;)

Celia
06-08-2004, 02:39 PM
I think that with the changes that you have made already, this has become a very lovely piece......... the colors are rich and tangible.............. and the surfaces are coming into their own...... the shine on the bottle is coming along nicely......... I'm looking forward to the next chapter........

celia

stonewhiteclown
06-10-2004, 03:48 AM
Hi! Thank you, Wendy, Maureen, June and Celia! I'm really pushing towards final.
No, how can I bin it now! My preciousssss :D The only thing disgusting me now is cloth. It looks here better than in RL. Some mud is there.
Made some progress with this yesterday. Now I hope to finish in one take to post final on Friday. I'm not quite satisfied with foliage, but don't know exactly how to improve on it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jun-2004/30926-redwine3progr.jpg