PDA

View Full Version : WDEJune5'04 Nuthin' serious, just foalin' around

dabblerdot
06-06-2004, 10:03 PM
Oh Noma !! What a difficult choice to make with so many wonderful images from which to choose !! Thanks for the incredible selection ! :clap: :clap: Finally had to do these charming babies- thought I'd be lazy and do a subject close to my heart. The laugh's on me- it's the background that's killing me :D This is coloured pencils on decent sketch paper, approx 10"x12" (25.5x30.5 cm). Last time I used these prismacolours was a real warm day, and they were luscious and creamy in the heat. Today is cold, and the doggone things are far less fun to use, they drag and are 'cheap' with their release of colour. This is the 2 hr stage, I'll put some more time into it and repost on this thread in the future. :) Now off to see some of the other's paintings :clap:

dabblerdot
06-07-2004, 02:21 AM
Couple more hours on it, alas the photo does not do justice to the true colours. I like it better IRL than as posted here, but that's ok. Think I'll go back to wetter mediums, however, 'cause I'm impatient to see faster results and they cover ground more quickly :D

lorna12
06-07-2004, 03:40 AM
Fantastic job on these two cuties, Lauren! Even if you did have a difficult time with the prismas...it turned out great! (I saved this one to do later...it's soo cute!)
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Drumbeat-trish
06-07-2004, 03:49 AM
Lovely -they just sparkle with the vitality of youth :D glad I'm not their mum lol . I never knew cp's were affected by heat?

Deano
06-07-2004, 11:19 AM
I love it, Dabblerdot! A playful scene done in light airy colors that are perfect for the mood. You taught those cantankerous ol' Prismacolors a lesson. :clap: :clap:

cmwynn
06-07-2004, 11:56 AM
Very appealing. The colors suit the mood of the pair of animals.
Connie

FriendCarol
06-07-2004, 12:22 PM
Oh, they're so darling! Oops, sorry, got carried away by the subject matter. :)

The way you caught the texture of their coats, especially the brown one, is terrific. Nice range of values, too!

I don't know about CP's, but maybe this would be worth a try: Put a cup of water in your microwave, and also put in a pencil (using just one as a test, and maybe wrap it in a paper towel in case it wants to color the inside of your oven!). Be pseudo-scientific -- try zapping it for some number of seconds, then increase the time if it's working just a little. I suppose you could also try it without the water, but if it turns out steam helps, put it back in. :)

dabblerdot
06-07-2004, 01:11 PM
Lorna, Deano, Connie, thank you for the kind words !
dbTrish- I was surprised too, they were a new medium to me when I tried them outside in the 88F (approx 31C) shade (WDE boy and plane), then yesterday it was about 58 (about 8 C) outside, so 30 degree diff in temp. Maybe I'll just wait for hot days from now!
Carol, thank you for your creative suggestions ! Alas, I'm a lazy painter, so I'll just let nature rule the temp of them and use an alternate medium- heaven knows I need practise in them all !

artbyjune
06-07-2004, 01:23 PM
This is very lovely. I like the image of the 2 foals playing. Just great!! :clap:
The cp's are used to great effect.

Celia
06-07-2004, 03:17 PM
Absolutely adorable....... I too, found that the Prismacolors were a little stingey in the cool weather....... I tried drawing close to a warm lamp without a lot of success....... your foals are terrific...... they show movement and looseness of frame which is hard to accomplish in art...... so often the subjects look posed........ I think that you've really done a remarkable job.......

celia

purplelizard
06-07-2004, 03:34 PM
TOO CUTE!! I especially love the playful interaction you can feel between the 2 babies. And the climbing plant (roses?) on the fence are so soft and delicate - just wonderful!

Chiers
06-07-2004, 06:53 PM
This was such a cute picture and you have done a real good job with it. I know what you mean about the background. I don't do backgrounds well with pencils of any kind,....or paint...lol.

stoney
06-07-2004, 11:34 PM
Couple more hours on it, alas the photo does not do justice to the true colours. I like it better IRL than as posted here, but that's ok. Think I'll go back to wetter mediums, however, 'cause I'm impatient to see faster results and they cover ground more quickly :D

Awesome. :)

Charlie's Mum
06-08-2004, 07:43 AM
You've worked wonders with this dd, I couldn't begin to sort them out but this is a magical vignette. Don't know about you but I need plenty of time with cps - love them, but I'm impatient!
Nice work :D :clap: :clap: :clap:

stonewhiteclown
06-10-2004, 11:27 AM
Nice rendition! Horses are great, and I like wooden fence too! :clap:
So did I understood it right - you drew it outside when it was only 8C :confused: Now it's new outdoors activity :)

MKathleen
06-10-2004, 03:21 PM
What a wonderful job you are doing on these two characters. I was tempted also but decided on the race horse instead. Good job here!

theIsland
06-12-2004, 09:26 AM
I'm so glad you picked this one to do. I took this photo back in '88, and never got around to doing anything with it, so it's a real treat for me to finally see it through another artist's eyes. You've really done it justice! I love your invented background. The vine or rose is a really nice addition. You captured all the personality of these playful little guys, as only a real horseperson could. They are really well-drawn, and well-rendered. Thank you for doing this one!!!

Noma