PDA

View Full Version : Interesting comparison of technique

Marty C
06-06-2004, 09:50 PM
Hi All,
I have just finished a work for Alan Cross's latest project and I put this one (The Rock Pool) next to one I had done with an underpainting (Rock and Shorebreak) to compare them. Both are acrylic, both have Ultramarine blue as the blue in sky and sea, both have pthalo aqua as the main colour in the breaking wave.The rocks of course are different, The Rock Pool has burnt sienna, burnt umber, paynes grey, biege and naples yellow as the main colours whilst Rock and Shorebreak has burnt umber, paynes grey and the greys from the underpainting as the main colours.
The area I was interested in was the breaking wave and the effect the underpainting had on it.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2004/16809-The_Rock_Pool1.jpg
In this, despite it being a bad pic in terms of the blue in the wave, the white of the gesso had a marked effect on the pthalo aqua, brightening it and enhancing the translucence I was trying to achieve. In both works I used layering to apply the colour in the wave, water and sky. The grey underpainting in Rock and Shorebreak was done to set the tonal value range and I was happy with the result but it has also had a marked effect on the overall light and atmosphere of the work. I took the ref photos of both of these about 80m apart in the same set of rocks on the same day, so the lighting was almost identical. I was most interested to see the very different way each turned out depending on the technique I applied. I hope this hasn't bored you, I was stimulated into this by a thread on underpainting over in acrylics.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2004/16809-Rocks_and_Shorebreak1.jpg

Gillette
06-06-2004, 11:30 PM
Hi Marty
As for being bored, rubbish!, I lapped it up.
Apart from the fact you have produced two magnificient paintings, so complementary and yet so different, the lesson in technique is very interesting, and one I shall keep for future reference.
We are so fortunate to have you on this channel,and the fact you are more than willing to assist us individually and spend so much time to encourage us with examples and methods of your own work.
Thankyou
Jane.

TeAnne
06-07-2004, 05:38 AM
WOW Marty, you're doing great stuff here. :clap:
Have you heard from Gaza?

LisaArt
06-07-2004, 07:22 AM
Breathtaking! Excellent work Marty, Thanks for description of the colours, etc used in the paintings...Very useful... ;)

1065tomh
06-07-2004, 08:35 AM
Hi Marty
Really great work! They are both excellent paintings and if I have to pick a favourite it will be no1. Mostly because of the stone work and the use of warm colours.
Thanks for sharing your wisdom Marty :clap:

Marty C
06-07-2004, 09:33 AM
Hi Jane - I hope it helped a little, thanks so much for your kind words. Larry Seiler has a thread going in Landscapes at the moment on water which may prove very helpful to those with a marine bent. Here is the link:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=194106
Hi Teanne - thanks a lot and I haven't heard from Gaza for a while, we exchanged a few e-mails early on, I think he was a bit bruised by the experience.
Hi Lisa - thanks very much. I learnt a lot through the experience, I hope it all helps.
Hi Tom - thanks also. The contrast of warm and cool in the first make it very interesting and effective but I also think the overall tone of the second works very well, probably it is the more unified work in terms of colour and harmony.

online art
06-07-2004, 05:11 PM
HI Marty,

I keep going back and looking at these paintings - very nice.

Marty C
06-09-2004, 08:04 AM
Hi Jason,
Thanks very much, coming from you I take that as a compliment indeed. I took at look at your web site and I'm still trying to get my jaw off the floor. I called my wife in for a look and she was blown away and believe me she is a hard woman to please when it comes to art!

online art
06-09-2004, 04:39 PM
WOW Thanks Marty, compliments indeed!!!

Now could you just convince everyone else. Ha..........

and them make them buy my paintings pleeease :rolleyes:

ripvanblair
06-11-2004, 05:53 AM
Both of these are excellent Marty, it would be really difficult to pick one for my wall, I would just have to take the two of them!!-----------well done----------Alan

TeAnne
06-21-2004, 11:26 AM
Hi Teanne - thanks a lot and I haven't heard from Gaza for a while, we exchanged a few e-mails early on, I think he was a bit bruised by the experience.

I heard yesterday. Still alive and well. Nearly finished his guest house.
I got his painting framed too, looks awesome. :)

Jijo
06-22-2004, 10:39 PM
Hi Marty, very interesting interpretation of the ocean moods, each one is a must, toghether they are amazing. Congrats!!!
Alex

Marty C
06-23-2004, 09:43 PM
Hi Alex,
Thanks heaps for the kind words.