PDA

View Full Version : Female portrait

ArtyHelen
09-23-2001, 11:14 AM
This is the beginning of a new one which will be in oil (and in colour). This is the preparation in acrylic. Just a lady from a magazine - I liked her face.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2001/lady1.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2001/lady2.jpg

Helen

jheinrich
09-23-2001, 11:29 AM
hi helen-

looking good so far- my only hesitation (assuming you are going for realism) is that the chin seems to want a bit more diagonal to it, considering the face and smirky lips ... ??? I would move the highlight over to directly under her nose ??? just a suggestion.

can't wait to see what you do with this.

One thing I've always noticed about your paintings is that you have an excellent eye for drawing, when did you first start to draw?

jeanette*

Impulse
09-23-2001, 11:39 AM
you've painted a powerful expression
this is a strong face with a sardonic attitude
and confident beauty
it will be wonderful in your colours
i hope they will be bold

ArtyHelen
09-23-2001, 11:40 AM
Thanx, j*! She does have a very short chin, but you're right that it needs a slight shape change and the highlight needs attention! Cheers!

I first started drawing faces when I was about 12. :) Since then, I've always drawn, but sometimes completely leaving it alone for months on end. It's only lately that I've really taken art seriously, and I didn't start painting till January this year. ( I feel I'm 'drawing with paint', But it's not necessarily a bad thing, I'd just like to 'let it flow' a bit more sometimes. :) Maybe it will come with time.)

Cheers, j*!

Helen

ArtyHelen
09-23-2001, 11:44 AM
Impulse, your words for the lady in my painting sum up what I saw in her and liked about her in the magazine photo, so you've made me confident that I'm going quite good so far! Thanx!
Bold? Not sure yet... warm, definitely... but, we'll see! :)

Helen

ZOTMA
09-23-2001, 02:09 PM
I like what's going on
all the features seem slightly enlarged as though to amplify the expression beyond her face

jerryW
09-23-2001, 03:24 PM
is she gonna sing "stand by your man"?

ejfarrae
09-23-2001, 05:17 PM
a great beginning, i can't wait to see the finished product. nice capturing of the expression here helen.

Luvy
09-23-2001, 06:02 PM
Hellen Can't wait to see it in color. *S* I have so much trouble getting eyes exactly the same size Teach me how you do it. I always look at the eyes first. Love it so far *S* Think I'm going to try my dad's portrait next. *S* (crossing fingers)

ArtyHelen
09-24-2001, 07:38 AM
Zotma - I'm glad you like! Yes, I often seems to enhance features that contribute mostly to an expression that I like. Putting it in my paintings isn't intentional, but I've noticed it afterwards, often.

Jerry - did you mean she resembles Tammy Wynette?!
:confused:

Eric - Thank you! :D Am going to upload my progress with it in a minute! :)

Luvy - Thanx! Yes, eyes are so important in a portrait! I don't really have any tips for getting them the same size... Just keep checking the irises in relation to other things, (edges of the mouth, for example) and then in relation to each other. Keep standing back and checking until it looks right. Looking forward to seeing your dad's portrait. :)

Helen