PDA

View Full Version : Compassion

Sandi
09-23-2001, 10:47 AM
Here's a page from Gary Zukov's website I found tremendously insightful. "Compassion is not for cowards".
I hope it helps. http://www.zukav.com/index.htm

joemajury
09-23-2001, 01:26 PM
Yes, I feel compassion, for all those that lost their lives in the USA terrorist attacks.
Did the terrorists show these people any compassion, I think not.
Why not turn the other cheek and let them do this again, maybe only this time it could be you, or your child or your parents.
How much compassion would you show then?

Joe

Oh, and I MUST say, I am DEAD against bombing Afganistan of the face of the earth, the Afgan people have been tortured enough by their own rulers, but these terrorist WORLDWIDE, have to be taken out.

Sandi
09-23-2001, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by joemajury
Yes, I feel compassion, for all those that lost their lives in the USA terrorist attacks.
Did the terrorists show these people any compassion, I think not.
Why not turn the other cheek and let them do this again, maybe only this time it could be you, or your child or your parents.
How much compassion would you show then?

Joe

Oh, and I MUST say, I am DEAD against bombing Afganistan of the face of the earth, the Afgan people have been tortured enough by their own rulers, but these terrorist WORLDWIDE, have to be taken out.

Is compassion turning cheeks? I, for one, don't think so.
I believe, as Gary Zukov, Julia Cameron & others believe, that Compassion begins within oneself. If one does not have compassion for one's own self by accepting their pain and anger then they will not have compassion for others. If we don't have compassion for ourselves and others, then revenge becomes the mainstay in our lives. Compassion opens our hearts and minds to ways to stop the pain and anger from happening again. It all begins with honest & considerate communication. Without communication to ourselves, let alone others, we forbid true compassion from entering our lives and we therefore feed off our anger and revenge which, as we know, just feeds the revengefulness of others. Viscious bashing circles if you will. All from lack of compassion.
This is in continuation of Cheryl's thoughts in TeAnnes hate thread. The difference between Compassion that brings insights and Revenging which brings even more hate and crime.
Thanks for your thoughts Joe.

Leaflin
09-24-2001, 08:21 AM
(((((Sandi)))))
Thanks for this link.
I have not been on his site for awhile and really needed the reminder.
His words have always brought me peace.
(I think he's kinda cute too)

joemajury
09-24-2001, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Sandi

Is compassion turning cheeks? I, for one, don't think so.
It all begins with honest & considerate communication.

Yes Sandi,
Just like they communicated with you, before they killed over 6000 of you countrymen.
Just how DO YOU communicate with terrorists, people who dont WANT to listen, people who dont WANT to hear what you have to say.
Maybe we could send out a plane load of Social Workers, its obvious these poor terrorists had a bad upbringing.

Joe

If this was war, your words would be Traitorous to your fellow countrymen.

Sandi
09-25-2001, 02:23 AM
You're welcome Linda. I'm glad it helps. :)
::blushing:: Isn't he though!! Inside and out. :)

Joe, quite the contrary. IMO, Stopping by the only means available is not the same as revenge. Wanting things to stop and wanting to take revenge are two different things. It's difficult to think straight with a revenging heart. Innocent people get hurt unwarrantedly because the revenger is too intent on revenge to take all things into consideration. Consideration comes through compassion. Compassion comes from first having compassion with ourselves.
It's the 'baggage' thing. Things affect us differently when our own inner baggage hasn't been accepted & dealt with. Tell a woman congratulations on her pregnacy when she only LOOKS pg but isn't and you'll recieve a different response from her depending on her inner baggage and the bio rhythms of the day. One day she might giggle and admit she needs to lay off the cheesecake and get down to the Gym and even ask you for tips on how to reduce the belly. On another day she might pout. On another she might become so furious at herself for letting things get so out of hand, yet not accept it and deal with it, and instead take her hatred and revenge out on you. Plus she'll now go get some icecream to go with the cheesecake. The latter is NOT compassionate for herself or for the poor person who only wished her happiness. In fact it is down right destructive. The first one, the one who knows there is a problem searches for solutions and deals with it happily, knowing that things will be taken care of as best as possible.
In effect, NONcompassion is the traitor. To yourself and to others. A half-cocked heart is ... a half-cocked mind. In order to deal with those who are as cruel as these terrorists are, we need all our FULL senses full. Most of all, we need to become angry enough to accept that anger and put that anger to good use. Accepting the anger is compassion for ourselves, and in this case, our country as well.
Hope I didn't ramble too much. It's late and I sometimes ramble redundantly.
Hope this makes sense.