PDA

View Full Version : WDE June 05 "Serenity"

stoney
06-06-2004, 07:49 PM
Acrylic on matboard 10 x 6 inches. After 90 minutes.

I'm not happy with this one as it ended up going in a direction not intended, due to a mistake on the starting point. I'll finish it either later this evening or tomorrow.

stoney
06-07-2004, 10:16 AM
bump

Freedom's poet
06-07-2004, 12:40 PM
I love the soft colors of this Stoney. :) I look forward to seeing this completed!!

Susan

Jet
06-07-2004, 01:16 PM
Yep, soft mellow hues great start ...

a happy accident stoney !

Regards

stoney
06-07-2004, 01:26 PM
I love the soft colors of this Stoney. :) I look forward to seeing this completed!!

Susan

It'll be done today. Thank you. :)

stoney
06-07-2004, 01:28 PM
Yep, soft mellow hues great start ...

a happy accident stoney !

Regards

Happy accident indeed. You see the water section, in the posted pic, has not been painted. It remains white.

It is no longer white, and I've a little left to do before uploading.
Thank you. :)

purplelizard
06-07-2004, 04:01 PM
Yes, no mistakes - just happy accidents! Can't wait to see the finished work! :D

dabblerdot
06-07-2004, 06:47 PM
"I'm not happy with this one as it ended up going in a direction not intended, due to a mistake on the starting point."
Oh my gosh, this sounds like Life Philosophy 101 !! :D
I find this to live up to it's name, it is very rythmic and serene. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress posted here, Stoney.
By the way, did we scare skatertrina away ? Sure hope not !! Say "Hi " to her for me.

stoney
06-07-2004, 11:12 PM
Yes, no mistakes - just happy accidents! Can't wait to see the finished work! :D

This is the second 'happy accident,' (not the same piece) I've had. The first was photographing "Hell's Bells" when the acrylic paint was wet. It gave the flat black triangle section a morphed look.

I'll upload the finished item in a few minutes. :)

stoney
06-07-2004, 11:19 PM
"I'm not happy with this one as it ended up going in a direction not intended, due to a mistake on the starting point."
Oh my gosh, this sounds like Life Philosophy 101 !! :D
I find this to live up to it's name, it is very rythmic and serene. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress posted here, Stoney.
By the way, did we scare skatertrina away ? Sure hope not !! Say "Hi " to her for me.

Hehehe....I've never taken the course, so I'll take your word for it.

I passed the 'hi' and the question to skatertrina. She looked puzzled and said; "no, did you direct her to one of my posts?" I said; "No. I passed the message along (she was working on homework).

She's a very busy kid, who's going to get busier next month will all sorts of (she scheduled) scheduled camping sessions with the groups she's involved in. :D
Summer will be gone before 'she can get a breath in".... :) She won't get bored!

Music and art lessons, too! (She asked to take them)

stoney
06-07-2004, 11:21 PM
Finally! It's done. I had a heck of a time getting a clear picture. I ended up using a tripod and setting the time delay.
It's definately fanciful and colourful. :)

dabblerdot
06-08-2004, 03:16 AM
I'm happy to see you 'hung in there' and got it finished ! It has maintained the serene feeling, and the lighter final post gives it an optimism more obvious than the first post. I absolutely love what you have done in the colours of the peripheral edges, especially the upper right. Great finish, stoney ! :clap:

stoney
06-08-2004, 03:47 PM
I'm happy to see you 'hung in there' and got it finished ! It has maintained the serene feeling, and the lighter final post gives it an optimism more obvious than the first post. I absolutely love what you have done in the colours of the peripheral edges, especially the upper right. Great finish, stoney ! :clap:

Thank you. Does the upper right give the impression of trees?
Does varying terrain come across? What about hefty grass clumps on the left?

stoney
06-10-2004, 12:14 PM
Another person indicated the centre location of the stream combined with the water colour made it the overwhelming focus.

I've got Windows problems and shifted, for the moment, to Linux. It turns out this linux Distribution contains a full-blown painting programme which I tinkered with. I made some changes in the stream, not all, but enough for a determination to be made as to if such a change is in the right direction.

What do you see?

Charlie's Mum
06-10-2004, 05:11 PM
Well stoney, I like both.
The first painting makes, for me, a nice abstract with good textural painting, irrespective of representing anything.
The digitally enhanced one has lovely water patterns - how about painting another pic using the digital ideas? :)
(I'm good at making others work!!!!!!!!!) :D

theIsland
06-12-2004, 09:16 AM
I admire your creativity, Stoney! The colors and textures are fun and pleasing. I've got to ask - are those goldfish crackers swimming in the stream? The "snack that smiles back, until you bite their heads off"?

Noma

stoney
06-12-2004, 04:32 PM
The first painting makes, for me, a nice abstract with good textural painting, irrespective of representing anything.
The digitally enhanced one has lovely water patterns - how about painting another pic using the digital ideas? :)

Hehehe. I like the way the first turned out, but I'm not sure on the digitally changed one. I find I learn the most from messing with stuff I've done.

I agree with what the other person said (when I put on a different 'hat,' 'different filter,' etc.,) what I was seeking to find out was if the digital changes made the stream 'recede into the background, some.'

I may do another one from the water pattern angle. Exploring one item from two different angles.

stoney
06-12-2004, 04:40 PM
I admire your creativity, Stoney! The colors and textures are fun and pleasing. I've got to ask - are those goldfish crackers swimming in the stream? The "snack that smiles back, until you bite their heads off"?

Noma

Heheh...Thank you. This is play time for me, exploration time, as well as learning time. They *do* look like snacks. What I was trying for was a pair of mermaids-the top half below the surface. However, the change in water colourization to pink made their original green pretty much blend, so I changed it to gold in a reversal attempt. I don't have perspective in a complex mode down yet. Two mermaids plus one bridge is three objects.

theIsland
06-12-2004, 08:50 PM
Agh, blame it on my poor eyesight and the small size limits for images here! Yes, now I see they are mermaids... but I still like them as crackers, too. ;)

Noma

MKathleen
06-12-2004, 09:13 PM
Hey stoney, good start and I too will look forward to an update. :)

stoney
06-13-2004, 02:32 PM
Agh, blame it on my poor eyesight and the small size limits for images here! Yes, now I see they are mermaids... but I still like them as crackers, too. ;)

Noma

Nibble nibble?......... :evil:

stoney
06-13-2004, 02:35 PM
Hey stoney, good start and I too will look forward to an update. :)

OOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhh NNNNNNNNNoooooooooooooo (/cue Mr. Bill)
what have I gotten myself into this time..... :)

YYcat
06-13-2004, 02:44 PM
I like both the painting and the digital one. Lovely colors and the upper right looks indeed like bushes ( or how do you say it?) (I'm not very good at technical comment in English). I learn that too here at wetcanvas I suppose.
As long as I'm here I like your work. :clap: :D

stoney
06-15-2004, 12:22 AM
I like both the painting and the digital one. Lovely colors and the upper right looks indeed like bushes ( or how do you say it?) (I'm not very good at technical comment in English). I learn that too here at wetcanvas I suppose.
As long as I'm here I like your work. :clap: :D

Thank you, YYcat. :) "Lovely colors (or colours) and the upper right indeed looks like bushes or trees." Your English is good.
Yes, using the language is a large help in a short time. If you don't understand something, let people know and they will explain or say it differently.

stoney
06-15-2004, 12:29 AM

I did work on another version. Unfortunately, Windows 'crashed and burned' and I can't find the original CD. No matter what method I try with XP it all goes into 'terminal reboot.' I can't upload the picture as I can't get it from the CD it is on onto the hard drive.

The Windows drive is unplugged and I'm running off a Linux drive and I don't know a bloody thing about Linux.

Once my wife reformats her notebook, I'll be able to get specific files from it's hard drive and be able to access mine enough to start the repair operations.

There may be a possibility, tomorrow, I'll be able to use her computer to access WC and upload what I've got done to this point.

geminidream
06-15-2004, 04:10 AM
I like both also but I think I like the first the best. I like the colors in it. they seem to be brighter and happier and It is a nice abstract of the pic. It is fun to experiment with digital and see what you can come up with sometimes the original just looks better. :D geminidream

Drumbeat-trish
06-15-2004, 02:12 PM
I like the first version best too - the others look like good fun though. Those digital programmes can be heaps of fine but oh so time-consuming :)

stoney
06-15-2004, 06:03 PM
I like both also but I think I like the first the best. I like the colors in it. they seem to be brighter and happier and It is a nice abstract of the pic. It is fun to experiment with digital and see what you can come up with sometimes the original just looks better. :D geminidream

Thank you. It is fun to play and see what turns up. :)

stoney
06-15-2004, 06:06 PM
I like the first version best too - the others look like good fun though. Those digital programmes can be heaps of fine but oh so time-consuming :)

Thank you. :) All I did with the digital program was change colours in the water enough to generate a difference.

stoney
06-17-2004, 07:21 PM
Redid it from scratch on another piece of matboard and took a different tack.
How's this one?

Gotta rest.

YYcat
06-18-2004, 01:42 AM
This looks very good, the colors are in harmony. (and I see a bit of a face in the water) :D :clap: :clap:

stoney
06-19-2004, 12:54 AM
This looks very good, the colors are in harmony. (and I see a bit of a face in the water) :D :clap: :clap:

Thank you, for the feedback and the compliment. I try different things and I learn. Hehehe...now that you mention it, there is kind of a big-nosed face in the water with a bit of a wry smile.

theIsland
06-19-2004, 09:38 AM
I was at that spot last evening, and looked for mermaids in the water... alas, there were none.

I like the colors in this version. That red really pops! And the texture on the water has almost a rice paper kind of quality to it - very nice.

Noma

stoney
06-19-2004, 10:02 AM
I was at that spot last evening, and looked for mermaids in the water... alas, there were none.

I like the colors in this version. That red really pops! And the texture on the water has almost a rice paper kind of quality to it - very nice.

Noma

The maids were probably having a nice cuppa tea and a scone. :)

I like this version the best of them all.