PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Sketches 7 - 13 June

E-J
06-06-2004, 08:03 PM
Welcome to another round of weekly pastel sketches!

This thread is open to EVERYONE - whether the pastels you're using are hard, soft or oil. Its aim is to encourage us all to fit some pastelling into our week by doing quick studies which take anything up to an hour to complete. Set your timer for 25 mins ... 45 ... 60 ... or anywhere in between... let the pastel dust fly ... and when your time is up, STOP! - and share your efforts with us here.

Regular sketching to a time limit sharpens your observational skills and forces you to make rapid decisions as you explore ways of using your pastels. It also gets easier the more you practise! Sketch directly from life or from a photo - it's up to you - and feel free to post as many sketches as you like during the week. This is a 'no-pressure' thread where the aim isn't to produce a masterpiece, simply to get your fingers gunky and have a go.

Take a look at what went on in last week's thread:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192728

Happy sketching :)

DominicM
06-07-2004, 05:38 PM
This was done in 55 mins, using Derwent Pastel Pencils on 8"x6" white paper.

Apologies to any Norwegian viewers, and any purists out there, this was done from memory from a visit back in 1985, so the drawing might not be precise.

Hopefully I have not abused this landmark too much, but its' how I remember it.

Khadres
06-07-2004, 11:48 PM
Looks like quite a place! Where in Norway is it? Nice work!

DominicM
06-08-2004, 02:50 AM
Yes its quite a rock.

If I remember correctly its not that far north of the arctic circle, near Brønnøysund and is about a 1000 feet high, the hole (the dot on my picture) is about 110 feet high x100 feet wide and travels for about 500 feet straight through the mountain.

The Norwegians call the mountain "Torghatten", if you wish to search further.

Stoy Jones
06-08-2004, 02:20 PM
Here's a 20 minute sketch from a b/w portrait photo of Degas in his late 20's. I don't think I did his drab expression justice, the reason I gave it a shot...but any case I did it in color. 8x10 on brown paper.

Stoy

Stoy Jones
06-08-2004, 02:24 PM
Yes its quite a rock.

If I remember correctly its not that far north of the arctic circle, near Brønnøysund and is about a 1000 feet high, the hole (the dot on my picture) is about 110 feet high x100 feet wide and travels for about 500 feet straight through the mountain.

The Norwegians call the mountain "Torghatten", if you wish to search further.

Dominic, that must be quite some formation! I'll have to look it up. Great pic, considering it is from memory!

Stoy

DominicM
06-08-2004, 02:28 PM
Stoy,

That would take me about 20 hours, I hate drawing faces..

Love the colour, looks fine to me.

Khadres
06-08-2004, 02:36 PM
Stoy, I think you did very well with ole Degas. I looked at it before reading your post and thought, "Wow, who sat for THIS one? He sure looks like a sad, dour soul!" And sure enough....he DID look this way! Apply a bit more color there and save this one for posterity!

Deborah Secor
06-09-2004, 01:18 AM
Okay, being an inveterate researcher I had to look up Torghatten and found you did a great job of it from memory, Dominic! I found a web page that took me all the way into and through the hole, & out the other side to look back. Thanks--I love side trips like that on the Internet!

Stoy, he sure looks stuffy. I almost expect him to yawn... Looks like such a happy guy, doesn't he? Party animal, no doubt.

I have a sketch to show but no photo yet. Maybe tomorrow.

Deborah

E-J
06-09-2004, 08:38 AM
Dominic, I don't know Torghatten but it sounds impressive - no wonder it inspired a desire to paint your memories years after you visted the place! I haven't attempted to use white paper since my very first experiments with pastels as it's such hard going.

Stoy, nice exercise! But don't disappoint us ... tell us that the ghost of Degas comes and sits for you once a week :)

DominicM
06-09-2004, 11:39 AM
I am a beginner, so that probably explains why I am using white paper :p

Stoy Jones
06-09-2004, 12:30 PM
Stoy, nice exercise! But don't disappoint us ... tell us that the ghost of Degas comes and sits for you once a week :)

You know he does, still as cantankerous as ever...maybe because he carries on in French and I don't know what he's saying. I have my wife translate some of his outbursts... that 'M' word :rolleyes: oh brother.. :D

Stoy

E-J
06-09-2004, 07:11 PM
I am a beginner, so that probably explains why I am using white paper :D

Dominic ... then you are in for a REAL treat ... as a beginning pastellist, the first time I tried coloured and then TEXTURED paper (Art Spectrum, Velour, Wallis, La Carte, Ersta et al) was hugely exciting! It is good to have you here in the Weekly Sketch thread. This is how I started out, too, and look where I ended up ... still hanging about in here, LOL.

You know he does, still as cantankerous as ever...maybe because he carries on in French and I don't know what he's saying. I have my wife translate some of his outbursts... that 'M' word :rolleyes: oh brother.. :D

Hmmm, Stoy, I have no idea which word you're referring to ... 'moutarde'? :)

sundiver
06-09-2004, 09:35 PM
I haven't even lurked in here lately, let alone posted, because of computer problems at home.
That's an intriguing big old piece of Norwegian rock you have there, Dominic!
And the portrait of Degas, already looking like a crusty old bachelor in his 20's.
Here's a little oil pastel I did from a photo one rainy day recently, of the area in front of a neighboring cottage. Nothing much to it, but it appealed to me, and took a little less than an hour.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2004/6393-happyvillageScotts.jpg

Deborah Secor
06-09-2004, 09:42 PM
Oh Wendy, I like it a lot!!! Love the reflection and the color in the trees... Very nice.

Aren't computer problems the worst? So frustrating. Who knew we were going to become so dependent? I didn't.

Glad you're here now!

Deborah

Paula Ford
06-09-2004, 10:18 PM
Hi All, Here's what I'm working on. It came from the image library.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=350&sort=1&cat=fav&page=1
Will finish it up in a couple of days. Started it in class Tuesday night.
9"x12", AS paper.

Paula

Deborah Secor
06-09-2004, 10:41 PM
Paula, right on! This one is a real treat. I wonder how much more you'd need to do on it?! Not too much, for my taste. Looks great.

Deborah

Khadres
06-09-2004, 11:37 PM
Sundiver...great OP! I wish I could do half so good with those things!
Paula...lovely woodsy cabin! Excellent!

I really really REALLY need to get busy and post something, don't I? I will, I will, I will.....it's just a matter of time and THEN you guys will be sorry! :evil:

Dyin
06-09-2004, 11:50 PM
Cool place, Dominic, thanks for sharing the pic and the story....
Stoy, good to see you working in pastels and I think you caught the look just right....could it come from the sliver of soap in his mouth? :p
Wendy, I love the purples and pinks in this one...noticed you're adding that more and I like it!
Paula, you're getting pretty prolific...such a lovely scene!

Stoy Jones
06-10-2004, 12:43 PM
Wendy, you are incredibly prolithic!..and that is inspiring! I'm out every other day at the cafe, sketching people now, but not in pastel as I would make a dusty scene using them in such a busy place. Love your use of colors here and the texture going up through the field as well as the reflection in the lake!

Paula, you scare me how well your work is coming along! :D I like how you lightened up the place!

Sooz, Dominic and Deborah, thanks for your comments! :)

Stoy

Paula Ford
06-10-2004, 03:43 PM
Thanks Deborah!! You can't really see it here, but somehow the painting got smudged really bad and it needs fixin (that's a Texas term). I think my kitties were playing in my sewing/studio room and somehow got too close to it.

Sooz, thanks!! Yeap, I can't wait to see some of your paintings!!

Sue, thank you!! I'm just spitting them out, aren't I!!

Stoy, LOL, thanks!! Degas in 20 minutes?? Geeezzz, those eyes are incredible!! He looks so sad. (You and that brown paper <rolling eyes>)

Dominic, wow what a rock, looking really good!!

Wendy, your landscape is lovely!! Such beautiful colors!!

Paula

E-J
06-10-2004, 04:41 PM
Wendy, I love your little landscape - it reminds me of the Impressionists. The reflection and the pinkish light effect are really nice.

Paula, this looks to be progressing really nicely. I flipped back and forth from your painting to the ref photo and was interested to see how you've decided to shift the tree trunks around!

binkie
06-10-2004, 11:44 PM
The paintings are all great. I love looking at all the different styles!

Here's what I've been working on this week:

Stoy Jones
06-11-2004, 12:49 AM
Binkie, great pose! Love his look, much character there!

Stoy

Dyin
06-11-2004, 12:56 AM
Binkie, can tell you've come along way from the dog and hands portrait! Great job! :clap:

Khadres
06-11-2004, 11:46 AM
I'm so glad they've quit requiring ears to be docked, but it does take some getting used to! You've done a great job with this!

Paula Ford
06-11-2004, 11:56 AM
Thanks E-J! I never stick to the photo. My mind wanders and before you know it, I've made up all kinds of things :D

Binkie! This is wonderful. Great expression he's got!

Paula

Deborah Secor
06-11-2004, 12:56 PM
Binkie, I love it! My first thought was 'WONKY', my new word via the Brits. I mean, his ears are just so...wonky! Your color work is great on the face. I'd like to see it closer. Excellent!

Deborah

prestonsega
06-11-2004, 01:45 PM
Dominic...with a photographic memory like yours...who needs a camera or ref pics!!! More!

Stoy...so am I to understand that Degas is your muse AND your wife is his channel???? How lucky can a guy be???

Wendy...Your killing me with these orange-yellow/blue-purple landscapes..beautiful, glowing!

Paula,....your riding a wave of pasteling success...nice.

Binkie..he's got quite an inquisitive expression. Great work as usual.

This week has flown by..hard to believe it is already FRI. (still got 3 days to get a sketch posted in here, provided life doesn't interfere...lol)

DominicM
06-11-2004, 05:50 PM
Dominic...with a photographic memory like yours...who needs a camera or ref pics!!! More!

O I wish, I had a photographic memory, I guess it was fresh because I dreamed about it recently.

I was thinking of using a ref photo but would have exceded the hour time limit if I had as I find it extremely hard to draw from photographs, I just cant draw precisely yet, you wouldn't give me a red cent for my pencil attempts.

I carry a Digital wherever I go and snap like mad - my record so far is 1500 photos during a week when I was in California last year.

Dyin
06-11-2004, 05:53 PM
O I wish, I had a photographic memory, I guess it was fresh because I dreamed about it recently.

I was thinking of using a ref photo but would have exceded the hour time limit if I had as I find it extremely hard to draw from photographs, I just cant draw precisely yet, you wouldn't give me a red cent for my pencil attempts.

I carry a Digital wherever I go and snap like mad - my record so far is 1500 photos during a week when I was in California last year.

hahahah..and my husband complains at a measly 200. So have you added some of those pics to the reference library??? I'm SOOOOO self-serving :p

binkie
06-11-2004, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the compliments. Dogs are my passion!

Deborah, The pic was taken before both ears stood up. That's why they look "wonky." :D Below is as close as the camera would let me get and still be in focus.

Deborah Secor
06-11-2004, 10:32 PM
I love that purple and yellowon his nose! Thanks for the close-up!

Deborah

Slow-Motion
06-12-2004, 11:10 AM
11" x 17" 1/2 hour

Dyin
06-12-2004, 11:16 AM
Hi Slow-Mo...welcome to WC and the pastel forum!!! This is a pretty nice piece...and for a 1/2 hour especially! What kind of paper?

Niiiice, Binkie! :)

Deborah Secor
06-12-2004, 11:25 AM
Glad you're sharing in our forum, Slow-Motion. I love the flag (in a number of ways!) Your atmosphere is delightful, great sense of history to it, and the drape is nicely done. What paper, pastels, etc?

Deborah

Slow-Motion
06-12-2004, 11:37 AM
The paper is Strathmore Charcoal, acid free, medium weight, traditional laid finish. The pastels I used for this are Loew Cornell soft pastels. I took the timed challenge, reminded me of my school days, we had a great teacher who encouraged us constantly to do quick sketches. I might develope it into the "Moody" project later.

Thank you, Dyin & dee_artist for the welcome. WC is suprisingly large and I am intrigued by it's diversity.

prestonsega
06-12-2004, 11:58 AM
Is that a jet flying over head to the right of the flag? My monitor and eyes may be playing with my mind! I agree that this is worth finishing out for the moody project.....the stripes are unfurled nicely.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2004/29946-fLAG.jpg

SweetBabyJ
06-12-2004, 07:50 PM
Two hours, three minutes for the WDE I might do this one again- BIG- and carefully- it's a beautiful comp.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2004/9169-WDEchairs.jpg

Kathryn Wilson
06-12-2004, 08:11 PM
Julie and I have great taste - we chose to do the same photo in the WDE - here's my version. This is large for me - 20 x 25 on Canson - soft pastels.

Things are "wonky" - but not sure I'll put too much more into this - might do a different version with more care, like Julie said -

Dyin
06-12-2004, 08:52 PM
Hey, both of you did great! :clap:

prestonsega
06-13-2004, 05:45 AM
This is why the wde is so interesting and fun. Julie's interpretation looks like a place that a bunch of sweaty, whiskey drinkin' cowpokes play poker.......Kat's version reminds me more of a farm kitchen where a family takes their meals......is it the color? value? Regardless, it shows that each artist has developed her own unique style......I think they are both equally great. (the pastelists kicked butt this weekend! :clap: lets do it again next Sat.!)

Paula Ford
06-13-2004, 02:36 PM
WOW, just love seeing the same picture done by two different artists. Both are wonderful !!

Paula

SweetBabyJ
06-13-2004, 02:38 PM
ummmm- I LIKE sweaty, whiskey-drinking (a shot or two anyway) cowpokes. They smell like leather.

Khadres
06-13-2004, 02:56 PM
Woohoo! I think it's the color choices that make 'em different. SBJ's has more rust tones and Kat's has more spring greens. Love 'em both!