PDA

View Full Version : Underpainting with Gouache or WC?

ayeceaeph
06-06-2004, 05:51 PM
Hi Everyone!

I'm downtown Toronto and my main goal this week is hitting ALL the art supply stores before I go back to my woods in the north! lol

My question to you Guru's is...for underpainting, do I get any sort of advantage using Gouache over Watercolors, or vice versa?

Also, are there any specific brands I should look for, or more importantly, stay away from?

Any input would be vastly appreciated!

Thanks! :p

ArtsiePhartsie
06-06-2004, 07:33 PM
Hi, I don't have answers to you questions but wanted to tell you to be sure to go to "Above Ground" Art Supplies....it's near the Art College and also the OGA (Ontario Gallery of Art), they have a good stock of pastel supplies and anything else you may need there.

Also , check out one of the "Currys" locations.

Have fun...

~Artsie

ayeceaeph
06-06-2004, 07:43 PM
OMG YES! My father has been bringing me my supplies from Curry's whenever he comes up to visit. Otherwise, I order them online, but I hate not being able to actually SEE what I'm ordering.

He's told me so much about Above Ground so that's definitely first on my list! :D!! Tuesday morning I'm also going to hit AGO just so I can gain some inspiration from their exhibits.

TY SO much for the feedback and I'll definitely hit Above Ground since I've heard so much about it.

Kitty Wallis
06-07-2004, 01:28 AM
Hi ayeceaeph,

Woolfitt's on Queen Streen west sells my paper.

Between gouache and water color, I prefer watercolor on sanded paper, since it doesn't fill in the grit.

ayeceaeph
06-07-2004, 09:32 AM
Oh wonderful....Thanks Kitty...finding your paper was one of my missions this trip as I've heard so much about it. As it happens I'll be down on Queen today. Can't wait to get home so I can finally give this Wallis paper a try :p

I was thinking watercolor too, I read an article about using gouache though, and wondered if there was any advantage to one over the other. I think I'll stick to your advice and just go ahead with the watercolor.

Time to head off to Woolfitts!

Thanks Again!

Kitty Wallis
06-07-2004, 08:11 PM
I didn't know if you wanted to work on sanded paper, but since you are, I recommend Creatx Pure Pigment as an underpainting medium. It's easier and better than watercolor. Liquid, finely ground pigment ina water suspension with NO paint body of any kind. Simply the pigment in water with a surfactant to keep it in suspension. I think of it as liquid pastel. Perfect since it dries matte and doesn't fill in the grit. I use it in every painting and every class I teach.

Oh wonderful....Thanks Kitty...finding your paper was one of my missions this trip as I've heard so much about it. As it happens I'll be down on Queen today. Can't wait to get home so I can finally give this Wallis paper a try :p

I was thinking watercolor too, I read an article about using gouache though, and wondered if there was any advantage to one over the other. I think I'll stick to your advice and just go ahead with the watercolor.

Time to head off to Woolfitts!

Thanks Again!

ayeceaeph
06-08-2004, 05:40 PM
Whew! I just got back from trekking all the way down to Woolfitts. lol...My 4 yo and I spent the afternoon walking Queen street on our quest for Wallis paper :p

But, we succeeded! Yippeeeee!!!

My next quest will be to track down some Creatx...as long as I have something to do I'm happy!

Thanks again Kitty!

ayeceaeph
06-10-2004, 12:33 AM
Help! I tried to find the Createx pure pigment as Kitty suggested. All I can seem to come up with is air brushing paint. I looked up the Createx pure pigment on the internet, and its not the same thing.

I did, however, fine dried pigment, by Gamblin, which can be mixed with water. Do any of you have any experience with this medium? As far as using it for underpainting?

If not, I suppose I'll just order the Createx Pure Pigment in from an American website....support my US neighbors :p

Any feedback, as usual, appreciated!

Kitty Wallis
06-10-2004, 02:14 AM
http://www.in2art.com/product/420

http://www.dickblick.com/zz029/54/products.asp?param=0&ig_id=4140

http://www.misterart.com/store/view/001/group_id/7753/Createx-Pure-Pigments.htmhttp://www.misterart.com/store/view/001/group_id/7753/Createx-Pure-Pigments.htm

I found these places. I recommend it over dry pigment. Createx Pure Pigment is a finely ground like a watercolor grind. Mixing water with pigment is possible, some colors demand a shot of alcohol to mix. Most of the pigments are messy, easliy lifted into the air in a fine dust.

Help! I tried to find the Createx pure pigment as Kitty suggested. All I can seem to come up with is air brushing paint. I looked up the Createx pure pigment on the internet, and its not the same thing.

I did, however, fine dried pigment, by Gamblin, which can be mixed with water. Do any of you have any experience with this medium? As far as using it for underpainting?

If not, I suppose I'll just order the Createx Pure Pigment in from an American website....support my US neighbors :p

Any feedback, as usual, appreciated!

ayeceaeph
06-11-2004, 11:26 PM
Thank you muchly Kitty! :)

jackiesimmonds
06-12-2004, 05:05 AM
My question to you Guru's is...for underpainting, do I get any sort of advantage using Gouache over Watercolors, or vice versa?

Thanks! :p

sounds as tho you are planning to use sanded papers, in which case the w/col or Createx IS the best option........but if you have any sheets of pastel paper, or hot-pressed, smooth watercolour paper, if you stretch it, and use gouache, that is good, because the gouache is slightly opaque, it has a certain amount of chalk in it to make it opaque, and as a result, when used quite thickly, it produces a surface which accepts the pastel very well indeed.

J

ayeceaeph
06-17-2004, 12:01 PM
Okay...so it sounds like I can use either depending on what surface I'm using. Gouache with watercolour or smooth paper, and w/c or Creatix with sanded. Glad I consulted you guys before I dove in! :p

Once again, this forum proves to be a huge help for picking up a new medium!

Thanks again guys!