PDA

View Full Version : WDE 6/5 Rocky Shore

bluepellinore
06-06-2004, 03:14 PM
This is 18x24 Rembrandt pastel on Sepia Canson paper. I've been working on this for a little over 2 hours and I'm stopping now before I get more frustrated than I already am. I'm finding it hard to get my darks dark enough, because of the sepia colored paper and my limited pallet. Any helpful suggestions are welcomed. I'm fairly new to pastels.

katju
06-06-2004, 03:18 PM
I think it's really pretty. I don't think you have to follow the reference photo exactly. Sometimes a photo makes darks look too dark and you have to take some artistic license to make the values work together....I think the colored paper is perfect for this beach scene. And it looks almost done. Is it?

Kathy

xreader
06-06-2004, 03:20 PM
A very lovely painting! I especially like your lively treatment of the water creeping up the shore, or is it draining back to sea? :clap:

bluepellinore
06-06-2004, 03:21 PM
Almost done?? I wish! I could easily put a few more hours on this. The rocks still don't look right to me and I'm not sure how I'm going to handle the water yet. It's not "lying flat" against the sand to me. Any suggestions?

hopefulbucky
06-06-2004, 03:25 PM
This is great. I feel you got your darks in the crevasses of the cliff and I really love the colors you used on the rocks. Gives a sunny feel in portions. I think it is well done.

katju
06-06-2004, 03:41 PM
I think your rocks look fine so far. To make them look more like the photo look at the smaller sharp edged shapes and some jagged lines. I checked the reference photo to see about the water line. The beach does slope slightly. It's not perfectly flat. Also, if you want to be true to the photo, the water's edge has more wavy edges and they're a little thinner than what you've got. This is coming along very nicely. Keep going!!!

Kathy

FriendCarol
06-06-2004, 03:59 PM
Looks great to me, but then I don't understand pastel stuff (I only know I hate them).

When I ordered a batch of somewhat used supplies from eBay last year (trying to jump-start an arts program at this independent living center where I live), a couple packages of pastel stuff was included. I still have one of them, "Sakura Cray-Pas," with most copy written in Japanese. There are 25 colors, including what look like a dark brown, and dark blue or black. If you're interested, perhaps you could send me postage and I'll wrap them up in bubblewrap and get them off to you?

Send me a PM (I'm having trouble staying on long enough to check e-mail reliably these days), if you're interested. Each round stick is still full length and they all have their full paper wrappers, so they must be little used, right?

Meanwhile, stick with your beach! It's looking very good, even right now.

Ruth Grinstead
06-06-2004, 04:05 PM
I love the colours you have used and crevasses on the cliff look great.

Ruth

theIsland
06-06-2004, 05:56 PM
You really captured this scene! The colors are so true to life, much more so than in the photo. I feel like I've just stepped out at 7 am with a hot cup of coffee in my hand to watch the seals play. Great sense of depth, and you've done a great job of carving those bluffs into the right shapes. I wouldn't worry about the darks that much. My photos tend to be a bit contrasty, so your version is closer to reality. Don't play with it too much more, 'cause you've already nailed it!

Noma

poochiesue
06-06-2004, 06:18 PM
I think it looks awesome, mary!!!!

bluepellinore
06-06-2004, 07:35 PM
Thank you all for your encouragement :) I'm going to work on this a bit more.

Thanks Noma, for your great photos! This landscape really caught my eye, and reminded me of my bike trip down the CA coast a few years ago.

stoney
06-06-2004, 07:53 PM
This is 18x24 Rembrandt pastel on Sepia Canson paper. I've been working on this for a little over 2 hours and I'm stopping now before I get more frustrated than I already am. I'm finding it hard to get my darks dark enough, because of the sepia colored paper and my limited pallet. Any helpful suggestions are welcomed. I'm fairly new to pastels.

I like it! I see the softness as an enhancement/attraction. :clap:

stonewhiteclown
06-08-2004, 06:43 AM
It's stunning! You lighting and colours are magical here! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Water is fine to me! Maybe lighten the sand in lower part to make it "adhere" to water?

Charlie's Mum
06-08-2004, 07:02 AM
Beautiful light and colour. Well done - would like to see end result! :)

Deano
06-08-2004, 10:56 AM
I agree with Katju...Quote:

"I don't think you have to follow the reference photo exactly. Sometimes a photo makes darks look too dark and you have to take some artistic license to make the values work together."
I believe your pastel shows a more dramatic light. As if you were standing at the scene when it was photographed, but waited for the sun to lower for a more dramatic color and lighting. Then you said "Aha, this is what I need to paint!" A few darks and details, and you have a winner.

Celia
06-08-2004, 03:18 PM
I love everything about this piece....... except that water always seeks its level........ so just try bringing some horizontal edges out into the sand and letting them taper off to nothing........ it will look more realistic, rather than having the water "climb" up the beach.....here's an example, I hope that it's big enough that you can see what I'm trying to say with words.....

celia

artbyjune
06-09-2004, 02:32 AM
I love the golden colours and light you have in this scene. It looks very inviting. A stroll along that beach sounds great to me! :rolleyes: