PDA

View Full Version : Ready to Sail!....

Yako
06-06-2004, 02:38 PM
I did it from scratch with the oil brush in ArtRage but...as always the colours started to get muddy.... :( so i converted it to blacks and whites with microsoft photo editor, it looks a bit better but I think I'll have to work a little bit more with the values..... :rolleyes:

JCoop
06-06-2004, 03:49 PM
Yako, I like it in b&w. It has a certain charm and it's nice to see now and then. Very charming!

Yako
06-06-2004, 04:14 PM
Wow! Thanks JCoop! :)

Michael
06-06-2004, 06:12 PM
I think I would leave it as is. It reminds me of the old carttons strips from the 40's

justjean
06-06-2004, 06:25 PM
VERY nice work Yako, I like the b/w look :)

Yako
06-06-2004, 07:52 PM
Nice all of you!...Wow!.....I'm happy you liked it....If I had posted the color version, I'm not sure you would have liked it!.... :rolleyes:

Michael
06-06-2004, 08:06 PM
i say go ahead and post it here...It would have run in the Subday paper in color!! :D

Yako
06-06-2004, 08:18 PM
I'll be ashamed if I post here the version color...It has purples, oranges, nearly all colors....It's really, really bad.... :(

Jet
06-06-2004, 08:44 PM
Yako, that's what we call a happy accident !!

it looks great as is, as Michael said it reminds of old cartoons strips...way before color newspapers...
---
On ArtRage...does it have the layers option, or is it a single layered program ?
That could be a way for avoiding muddy tones..

Great job

Regards

Yako
06-06-2004, 08:55 PM
No it doesn't work with layers :( :( :( is there another way to avoid muddiness???....it's a mistake I always commit specially when painting with real oils and that makes me a bit unhappy....nearly all the things i do ends up as garbage.... I'll be much happier if could paint with cleaner colors....

JCoop
06-06-2004, 09:57 PM
No it doesn't work with layers :( :( :( is there another way to avoid muddiness???....it's a mistake I always commit specially when painting with real oils and that makes me a bit unhappy....nearly all the things i do ends up as garbage.... I'll be much happier if could paint with cleaner colors....
Yako, it may be time for you to graduate away from ArtRage. You may want to start producing work that has enough resolution to print at larger sizes than ArtRage can handle. Don't get lost in your comfort zone and get bogged down with an app that can't take you the distance. You've learned and had fun and become very good... might be time to move on?. :eek:

Jet
06-06-2004, 10:01 PM
Yako,
i agree with Joel , you have outgrown that program !!

And it's.... Time to Sail Away !..... :D no pun... :p

Go for it !!

Regards

flowerfancy58
06-07-2004, 04:01 AM
VEry nice Yako:) I like the way you did the water!

gloria

Cronious
06-07-2004, 05:24 AM
Yako,

This is very unusual a black and white with oil paint but it works perfectly for this piece.

Looking forward to viewing more

Yako
06-07-2004, 08:36 AM
JCoop, Jorge, Gloria & Cronius thanks a lot for your comments!...

JCoop or Jorge, what software would you recommend for digital art? i'd like something that allows me to paint like the real mediums. My idea is to make all the mistakes in my pc and then transfer it to a canvas....

I've seen people sometimes mention Corel Painter Classic, is it complicated to learn? and, are there any good books related to digital art (techniques) for a beginner?.....

JCoop
06-07-2004, 11:08 AM
Yako, I recommend Painter 8. "The Painter 8 Wow Book" is a great companion. Glad to see you considering your options.

Painter classic is much like it's big brother, but I haven't used that one so maybe others can comment on it's suitability.

Yako
06-07-2004, 11:48 AM
Thanks a lot JCoop for the information!.... :)

flowerfancy58
06-07-2004, 11:54 AM
Yako,
I'm not Jet or Joel, but I sure would reccomend Painter 8. You get the look of real medium, and if you like to draw (as you do) they have colored pencils, charcoal, and pencils... That's in addition to the oils and watercolors and others.
Why not go to Corel's site and try out the free 30day download and give it a try to see what you think before investing in it.
I would also imagine that other programs have a free trial period too, and that's a good way to find out what the program is all about:)

gloria

Yako
06-07-2004, 12:07 PM
Wow! thanks flowerfancy I think i'll try the trial version first....I think i'll like it for the way you describe it!.... :) :) :)

Cronious
06-07-2004, 12:36 PM
Yako,

I would also recommend Painter8 its a fantastic piece of software.

A book that really helped me get down and gritty and learn painter was 'Painter creativity 8' by Jeremy Sutton. I found this easier that the wow book as you work through it with projects rather than dip in and out. I also have the wow book which I have found very useful.

Also look at wacom tablets as some come with Painter classic included this will allow you to upgrade to Painter 8. Also you can upgrade from a copy of Photoshop if you have it. Painter8 on its own is 254.00 GBP and the upgrade is 127.00 GBP -- you can pick up a tablet for about 50 including Painter classic, So even if you already have a wacom tablet you could have a second and still save money!

Just a thought, Go give it a try with the demo.

Hope this helps

Yako
06-07-2004, 12:44 PM
Cronius! really useful tips!---- :) :) :) I'm going to see if Amazon sells it.

I've not yet bought a wacom tablet but...i'm sure i'll soon buy one because everyday i'm getting more fascinated with digital art and it's really difficult to draw straight and curved lines with a mouse!.....

Jet
06-07-2004, 01:03 PM
Yako,
I'm not Jet or Joel, but I sure would reccomend Painter 8. You get the look of real medium, and if you like to draw (as you do) they have colored pencils, charcoal, and pencils... That's in addition to the oils and watercolors and others.
Why not go to Corel's site and try out the free 30day download and give it a try to see what you think before investing in it.
I would also imagine that other programs have a free trial period too, and that's a good way to find out what the program is all about:)

gloria

You might not be Jet nor Joel but, sure are one of the finest artists i know of.
Much better qualified than me, for recommending Painter, judging by the look of your yummy jobs !

...And... a lot prettier than those two thugs too. :D i might add !!

Thanks Gloria (fan #1 here) :clap:

Michael
06-07-2004, 01:11 PM
I am not a Jet or Joel either, And I don't know a thing about art or Digital Art or Photo Manips or anything...So I will shut up now :evil:

From what I have read and what you have said I do agree that painter is the way to go for you. I myself use Classic painter, mostly because I am to lazy to upgrade. But also because I finish everything off in photoshop. That is my program of choice. All of the companies offer free demos in one form or another. If I remember right you can't save anything in the painter demos, but you can take a screen shot of what you do.

Try them all and see what you are comfortable with, what seems to fit your style and needs and go from there.
I think the Wacom is a must though...And as said..You get classic painter with that. Just try them all...Paint Shop Pro is another quite a few use. I have even seen some magnificent work done with Adobe Elements. But you need to find out what fits your needs. The likelyhood is that you will eventually end up with them all in one version or another.

Not bad for someone who was going to shut up in the first sentence, huh? :evil:

Yako
06-07-2004, 01:20 PM
Redwater thanks a lot.....!!! I think i`ll try 2 or 3 trial versions for a while and then see which software suits better to me....Thanks for the snapshot's tip!!!.... :) :) :)
I agree with Jorge that Gloria really does nice paintings, if i were her I would try to sell them!..... :D

Jin
06-07-2004, 01:21 PM
Yako,

procreate Painter Classic 2 is the current version of Painter Classic that comes bundled with Wacom tablets, either new ones or less expensive refurbished tablets.

It's a very limited software, based on the full version, Painter 7 and it includes Layers, Water Color Layers, and Liquid Ink Layers. The list of available brush variants is very small compared to what's available in any full Painter version.

To see what is, and has been, available in the way of brush categories and brush variants for all full Painter versions, Painter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and Painter 8, take a look at this site:

http://w3.poporo.ne.jp/%7Edddo/oekakienv/Painters/diffbrush/indexe.html

To download the free 30 day trial version of Painter 8:

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Corel/Products/Downloads&id=1047021764853

To find the list of currently available refurbished Wacom tablets (the list changes frequently, so keep an eye on it):

http://wacomdirect.wacom.com/wacomdirect/reftablet.asp?

Yako
06-07-2004, 01:29 PM
Jin! very usefull links!!....

I'm afraid it'll take me years to master Painter 'cause it has so many tools....!!! but i'm sure i'll have a lot of fun learning new techniques!! :) :) :)

Jin
06-07-2004, 06:09 PM
Yako,

Don't worry about mastering Painter. It's a very complex program, kind of like a bottomless well of surprises and delights.

After all these years, using Painter on a daily basis since about 1995, I still discover things frequently.

No matter what anyone tells you, no one knows everything about Painter, not even the developers. I remember once asking one of them to tell me more about an old feature not available since Painter 8 was released. He told me he really didn't know much about it, just that he saw the other developers playing with it. Then he told me I was the expert on that feature.

Surely he was kidding. Even if I did know it pretty well, I was hardly **the** expert. I expected him to be the expert!!! ;)

Just enjoy the process of learning. That's what it's all about anyway.

:)