PDA

View Full Version : Champion or Chump?

JCoop
06-06-2004, 12:09 PM
Here's one that I had a ton of fun painting. I always paint fairly large, on the off chance that the result might turn out to be halfway interesting.

This was done in Painter8.1 With custom brushes. I generally create my own custom saturated and exaggerated color palette to use in my paintings.

Kobe's having a tough time of it lately. I sure hope he's innocent... because their is no act that I despise more than what he's accused of.

Thanks "L" for inspiring this piece...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2004/30872-koby_norm.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2004/30872-koby_close.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Chiers
06-06-2004, 12:48 PM
Excellent painting Joel! There are a couple spots that seem too black to me though. The inside of his mouth, and under the, viewers, left arm.

As far as Koby goes I havent followed it enough to have an opinion but I must say that it sure seems lots of these sports stars seem to think that all the money and fame place them above laws and morality.

themanda
06-06-2004, 01:37 PM
i know nothing about football, so i won't comment on the sports aspect of this. (i know...i know. i'm teasing. it's clear that this man is a professional golfer. even i can tell that.)

i like the shine you got the head! as i was looking at it, i was wondering if you did your background on a separate layer, or if you painted everything straight up. the closeup shot makes it look like the latter is the case.

i love the texture you get to your pieces. excellent.

JCoop
06-06-2004, 03:37 PM
Thanks for yor reply Sherry. Glad you like it. You have a great eye... as soon as I posted I saw what you meant about the mouth. I'll have to fix that... and the arm too.

Hi Manda, your response was as charming as always. :)
I purposely paint my background on the same layer because I like the soft blended edges I get with that approach. I could get the same results on different layers, but I just don't bother with the extra steps. Though, I would probably have broader control on separate layers too. ...OK, you're making me think about it... maybe I'll go with separate layers next time. :confused: Thank you Manda!

Jet
06-06-2004, 04:08 PM
Joel,
excellent piece.
What i am trying to achieve right now is better 'eyes expression' in my works, so my attention
is focused on that feature alone , and a close-up snapshot really helps...thanks

...Great eyes expression...i've been staring for too long now...... http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2004/27782-dizzy.gif

Keep 'em coming
:cool:

JCoop
06-06-2004, 04:19 PM
Joel,
excellent piece.
What i am trying to achieve right now is better 'eyes expression' in my works, so my attention
is focused on that feature alone , and a close-up snapshot really helps...thanks

...Great eyes expression...i've been staring for too long now...... http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2004/27782-dizzy.gif

Keep 'em coming
:cool:

Jet Thanks! I went through a stage when I drew nothing but eyes for a long time. I wanted to really nail them. I did the same for noses and mouths too. I found that noses for some reason were by far the hardest... I think it's because the nose changes direction so many times. Keep at it... practice does make "perfect".

Yako
06-06-2004, 04:45 PM
I liked the loose brushstrokes and color...I would like to achieve this style some day....

I hope you'll post again those pictures that a story behind like the man behind bars, the "pregnant man"... :) ...

Freedom's poet
06-06-2004, 05:33 PM
:clap: b Fabulous painting Joel!!

Susan

Duende
06-06-2004, 05:41 PM
This is fabulous Joel! It portrays all the exuberance and excitement that Kobi must feel when he plays his sport.
Paddy

Michael
06-06-2004, 06:07 PM
It would be difficult to add what has already been said here. Besides, that would involve thinking :rolleyes:

As usual...excellent job Joel

justjean
06-06-2004, 06:36 PM
Don't know much about the man but I do like the look of the happy but exhausted look on his face, very nice work Joel

Andrew Rance
06-06-2004, 08:12 PM
Don't know the man either (not much of a sports fan, I'm afraid), but its a great portrait, typical of your style. I particularly like the handling of the background, and the way you seem to have echoed/complemented the colour of the vest.

JCoop
06-06-2004, 09:38 PM
Thanks friends. I do appreciate it. the "happy but exhausted look on his face" is the same look I had when I finished this painting. I have to find a way around my short attention span. :confused:

flowerfancy58
06-07-2004, 04:06 AM
Can't answer which he is ....... I'll just wait to see what the jury says:)

As for the painting, it's up to your usual parr excellent! And I really do like that background, gives the illusion of a crowd, stadium, action, all in one swoop.

Where have you been? I've missed you!!!

gloria:)

JulieBoyles
06-07-2004, 05:14 PM
This is great Joel! :clap: :clap: I love the colors and movement! This painting has "your style" written all over it. Have you changed the colors you're using for skin tones? I like these a lot!

Congrats,

Julie :D

JCoop
06-07-2004, 08:50 PM
Thanks Gloria, I appreciate your description of the background. thanks. I've missed you too!!! Been sort of caught up with work and life. I've tried to contribute where I could. Hopefully things will calm down soon and I'll have time to hang out with you guys at the loft a bit.

Hi Julie. Well I guess it's official, people are starting to say the recognize my style. I've been experimenting so long, I wasn't sure I would ever have a "style". I really tried to push the skin tones to the limit here, I'm glad you think they are decent.

I haven't seen a portrait from you lately. Maybe I missed it... I'll have to do a search.

Be well.