PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Livingston Tomato

sundiver
06-06-2004, 10:30 AM
No internet at home.
While I was in Hubby's office yesterday, I saved a couple of images onto a floppy to work on at home. Then I decided to print them too, tho' it was only in b&w. When I got home, I realised I had left the floppy in Hubby's computer! :rolleyes: It would have been a 25k drive back with gas now at 95 cents a litre. :crying: So I tried the gull using only the black and white reference. Putrid results.
Back today while hubby and son are doing a 10k run downtown. So I did the tomatoes this time, and touched up the poor bowling-pin seagull as much as I could, which was not much.
I don't have an image editor on this computer so the Mavica pics will likely be dull-looking. Both are 5x7 oil pastel.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2004/6393-MVC-001S.JPG
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2004/6393-MVC-002S.JPG
This was fun and you posted beautiful images, Noma.
(Now, if I can grab a few minutes to see what you all have done.......!)
edit- nope, they just arrived...talk about timing! See you tomorrow from work!

Celia
06-06-2004, 10:33 AM
Nicely done........ the shine on the tomatoes is especially good.......

celia

Europa
06-06-2004, 11:07 AM
I like them both!!

Pat

dragonlady
06-06-2004, 12:02 PM
The tomatoes look really solid and I like the way you've painted the highlights.

artbyjune
06-06-2004, 12:40 PM
I like both images too. The seagull is wistful. The tomatoes have a real physical presence. :clap:

Drumbeat-trish
06-06-2004, 01:47 PM
Particularly love the tomatoes, especially the colour in the cloth. And George/aka Jonathan looks cute :)

anney
06-06-2004, 02:26 PM
Nice title... I also liked both photos, but I'm still struggling on the tomatoes, and have a slight preference for your tomatoes too.

Anne

xreader
06-06-2004, 03:11 PM
Really masterful use of the op's sundiver, IMHO. :) I like everything about these paintings! :clap: :clap: :clap:

hopefulbucky
06-06-2004, 03:37 PM
Wow sundiver, the contortions you had to go through to participate. Now that is dedication. I like both of your paintings but must say I much prefer the tomatoes. You have succeeded in portraying the freshness and colorfulness of these tomatoes. I like your gull and the water but particularly like your weeds and your wood technique.

Great job, imagine 2 paintings. Geeze, I have a struggle just completing one. LOL

FriendCarol
06-06-2004, 03:38 PM
Trying to guess the image from the title is always fun, but I didn't get this one! Your gull is really pretty good -- I tried a WDE from a b&w printed copy once and didn't have nearly this much success. That beam-end is particularly effective.
Nice shiny tomatoes, too. Those tomatoes may have been this week's most popular image!

Sorry you are also having Web access problems :( -- perhaps someone or something is gearing up for a so-called cyberterrorism attack. Sure seems a lot harder these days to surf without heavy precautions. After I'd been on too long this morning (and still hadn't commented on all this week's WDE entries!), I had to reinstall my operating system again. At least this time I was able to reinstall on top of my firewall, so I didn't have to spend an hour reconfiguring its rules, again. :rolleyes:
Everyone, please be careful online! We seem to be moving into a new world, and it isn't all friendly (however much we feel most of it is, from our exposure on this site).

Anyway, keep on pasteling (and posting)! It's good work. :)

lorna12
06-06-2004, 05:37 PM
I was trying to figure out what I'd see from the title, too. Thought you might have the seagull pecking at the tomatoes! :D ;)

Love those tomatoes....they look delicious with those wonderful colors. The seagull looks fine, too....bowling pin? nope, don't see that at all. Just beautiful color and great pastel work!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

dabblerdotjr
06-06-2004, 07:26 PM
I love your title and I think your seagull is great. But I am particularily taken with the shine and effect of your tomatoes. I was going to make Mexican for dinner, but now will make something Italian!!

stoney
06-06-2004, 08:00 PM
Trying to guess the image from the title is always fun, but I didn't get this one! Your gull is really pretty good -- I tried a WDE from a b&w printed copy once and didn't have nearly this much success. That beam-end is particularly effective.
Nice shiny tomatoes, too. Those tomatoes may have been this week's most popular image!

Sorry you are also having Web access problems :( -- perhaps someone or something is gearing up for a so-called cyberterrorism attack. Sure seems a lot harder these days to surf without heavy precautions. After I'd been on too long this morning (and still hadn't commented on all this week's WDE entries!), I had to reinstall my operating system again. At least this time I was able to reinstall on top of my firewall, so I didn't have to spend an hour reconfiguring its rules, again. :rolleyes:
Everyone, please be careful online! We seem to be moving into a new world, and it isn't all friendly (however much we feel most of it is, from our exposure on this site).

Anyway, keep on pasteling (and posting)! It's good work. :)

I do hope you've got a virus scanner constantly active. It's also a good idea to be running the free pgrms-Ad Alarm and Spybot. Oh, yes, if you're running Windows keep an eye out for crosslinked files and drive fragmentation.

katju
06-06-2004, 08:34 PM
I like your seagull!! He's got personality!AND I like your tomatoes, too. I think the pastel is a perfect medium for tomatoes. (I'm saying this because I'm redoing my tomatoes now :( and yours look like they were effortless to do.) :clap: :clap:

Kathy

sundiver
06-07-2004, 09:34 AM
I was trying to figure out what I'd see from the title, too. Thought you might have the seagull pecking at the tomatoes! :D ;)
:
Or maybe one of these versions? :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2004/6393-tomatohead.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2004/6393-tomatobird.jpg

Thank you all for your comments! Lately it seems there's always been something getting in the way of doing the WDE. It's so much more fun to do it when everyone else is participating, too. And here it is Monday- will take me a couple of days just to catch up on all your paintings. Well, so it goes..

Deano
06-07-2004, 10:40 AM
I like both paintings. But like the majority, I'm drawn to the tomatoes. For me, it's because of the high contrast...both value and hue temperature. Very nice pastel strokes and texture. :clap: :clap:

cmwynn
06-07-2004, 10:56 AM
Irrestible title. Both paintings are lovely. I think Noma's pet seagull has had so many handouts that he might not be able to get airborn. But the rendition is delightful. The tomatoes make me wish for a garden. The highlights are enviable.
I have been fighting computer viruses lately, what a waste. No one profits. My daughter has split my hard drive and I have to log on to different parts to do different things. A real drag.
Connie

dabblerdot
06-08-2004, 04:24 AM
I was thinking normal pleasant thoughts as I viewed your paintings, and composing my response as I read through the thread. Then I came across your 'final' and snorted tea out my nose as I guffawed. That's way too funny !! :D :D :D :D . And now I am becoming attached to the gull in the tomato basket picture- it's so quirky it's absolutely charming !!
I liked #1 painting (especially the log) and really liked the earthy, yummy #2 painting, #3 'made my day' but #4 has won my interest and my attention. Thank you for all the fun !!!! :clap: :clap:

Charlie's Mum
06-08-2004, 07:10 AM
Well stupid me, I thought the title was a variety of tomato I hadn't come across!!!!!!!!! - and these are so much more interesting than the ones I grow :crying:
I'm glad I saw your latest contribution before posting - needed a good laugh!!!! No doubt you did too after your probs - hope they're sorted now :)
Like both pieces but toms more so - lovely! :clap: :clap: :clap:

lorna12
06-08-2004, 04:41 PM
Or maybe one of these versions? :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2004/6393-tomatohead.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2004/6393-tomatobird.jpg

Thank you all for your comments! Lately it seems there's always been something getting in the way of doing the WDE. It's so much more fun to do it when everyone else is participating, too. And here it is Monday- will take me a couple of days just to catch up on all your paintings. Well, so it goes..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2004/11613-rofltext.gifhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Jun-2004/11613-rofll.gif I LOVE them!! What a hoot!! I bet you laughed the whole time you were doing them!!

theIsland
06-12-2004, 11:01 AM
LOL!!!! Love the seagull in the nest of tomatoes! Reminds me of the old Warner Bros. cartoons where the stork delivers the baby to the wrong parents.

I really like both of these. Working from a B&W reference on the bird doesn't seem to have hindered you. (I do that by choice sometimes, so I can invent my own color.) And those are some bodacious tomatoes! Big, bold, bursting with juice. Glad you could make it, despite the obstacles in your way!

Noma

leojacko
06-12-2004, 03:17 PM
Ha ha

Maybe no one else has read the book !!!! - I have & loved it !

Loved both the paintings too.

well done :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nina

lisilk
06-12-2004, 05:50 PM
The gull is a cutie, the tomatoes just sumptuous. But of course the second version won my heart. :p :clap: