PDA

View Full Version : Life is a Bowl of Cherries WDE June 5 WIP

lorna12
06-06-2004, 01:10 AM
Hi gang!

I barely got started today, when I remembered the rodeo was on out here and I wanted to take some photos, so I got some done tonight. This is at the 2.5 hour stage (sorry, got carried away once I got going) I will work on it again tomrrow after I get home. (from the rodeo again).

I have some mask on there so it looks kinda funny....now to do the bowl without wrecking the cherries!

9 X !2 w/c on Arches cp 140#

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2004/11613-bowl_of_cherries_1.jpg

blondiedenise
06-06-2004, 01:17 AM
Wow! Those cherries look good enough to eat (except for the masking-probably make 'em sticky...) :D . Can't wait to see more of your work on this. Very awesome!! :clap: :clap:

Denise

prestonsega
06-06-2004, 01:25 AM
When I first opened this post, I thought it was a digitally manipulated photograph........the masking gives it a surreal feeling.....it almost seems to be a metaphor about ....something.??? mass of people alone together in a desolate world??? (it is getting late here on the east coast....lolol)

Deano
06-06-2004, 01:27 AM
I can tell that you're really liking those watercolours! Those cherries absolutely rule! I'll be watching for future posts. :clap: :clap: :clap:

lorna12
06-06-2004, 01:45 AM
Thankyou Denise, Preston and Deano!

I am enjoying w/c more and more...must be getting the hang of 'em! Now let's just see if I can finish this without messing it up! :D ;)

Dharma_bum
06-06-2004, 02:03 AM
I am bowled over by your cherries, will look in again for an update.

Dan

Chiers
06-06-2004, 02:05 AM
Lorna this is already looking wonderful! :clap: I know the finished painting is going to be another really good one!!

Drumbeat-trish
06-06-2004, 05:04 AM
Thankyou Denise, Preston and Deano!

I am enjoying w/c more and more...must be getting the hang of 'em! Now let's just see if I can finish this without messing it up! :D ;)
Lorna I never seen you mess up anything with anything -come on make my day ;-) these cherries look sooooooo plump and delicious - and if I know you you'll have us eating the bowl too. Your ability and interpretations never fail to amaze me

anney
06-06-2004, 05:28 AM
now to do the bowl without wrecking the cherries!

You mean without eating the cherries ? I look forward seing that (probably tomorrow for me). I am confident you will succeed.

Anne

ams
06-06-2004, 06:55 AM
Wow, these are beautiful. I can't wait to see the next stage.

Anne

Andrew Rance
06-06-2004, 10:01 AM
Big impact with those cherries - look forward to seeing the end result!

stoney
06-06-2004, 10:04 AM
Hi gang!

I barely got started today, when I remembered the rodeo was on out here and I wanted to take some photos, so I got some done tonight. This is at the 2.5 hour stage (sorry, got carried away once I got going) I will work on it again tomrrow after I get home. (from the rodeo again).

I have some mask on there so it looks kinda funny....now to do the bowl without wrecking the cherries!

9 X !2 w/c on Arches cp 140#

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2004/11613-bowl_of_cherries_1.jpg

WHEW! I'm always amazed when I see stuff like this. It boggles the mind. How in the heck did they do that!? :clap: :clap: :clap:

FriendCarol
06-06-2004, 10:18 AM
Yes, transparent w/c is wonderful, isn't it! Particularly yours here!!! :clap:

Know exactly what you mean about not wrecking the cherries with the bowl... What makes a still life like this so hard for me is trying to understand how to give just enough detail to the 'background' so it's not incongruous with the center of interest, yet not detract from that center. Landscapes are so much easier, since one can reasonably be very out of focus for foreground and background (assuming focus is in middle ground) -- but a still life has so little depth to it IRL.
That's why I liked the bread/rose/knife image, I guess -- the bread and knife were such simple forms in themselves that a very simple treatment of them suffices, without detracting from the intricacy of the rose. (On my first draft I didn't take time to do the rose with any care, but hope to do another version this coming week.)

I'm going to study your treatment of this still life carefully to see how you detail the 'background.' Hope I'll learn a lot -- but no pressure! :evil:

Celia
06-06-2004, 10:31 AM
I am truly amazed at the detail you have achieved with watercolors....... I didn't believe this degree of realism could be expected........ what a delightful surprise..... waiting for updates.....

celia

Europa
06-06-2004, 11:05 AM
Great colour on those cherries - looking forward to seeing it complete.

Pat

dragonlady
06-06-2004, 12:06 PM
I feel I could reach out and pick those cherries up - great depth of colour for watercolours. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

hopefulbucky
06-06-2004, 03:49 PM
Lorna, can tell already this is going to be gorgeous. I was tempted by this but chose something else. Will check back to see how you are doing.

Ruth Grinstead
06-06-2004, 03:53 PM
Lorna, your cherries look mouthwateringly good :clap: .

Ruth

xreader
06-06-2004, 04:14 PM
Fantastic Lorna...your cherries are to die for,IMHO. :) :clap: :clap: :clap:

lorna12
06-06-2004, 05:17 PM
Thanks so much everyone! The rodeo got rained out today, so I got a bit more done.

Anyway, got the bowl done (mostly)...boy was that a challenge...I really had no idea where to start! Using a scap piece of w/c paper I tested several different color combo's before I found the one I thought would be good, but even then I was afraid to put it around the cherries. Then I thought "What the heck...it's only paper and a bit of paint...I can do it again if I wreck it" so I dove in! Here's the result....You be the judge.....there is still some mask on the bowl, the cherries are finished (accept for the stem), no mask on them anymore. More later....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2004/11613-Cherries_2.jpg

Celia...if you haven't seen detailed w/c before you should check out this thread of cyrillejubert's...he is an awesome watercolorist...I can only hope and pray (and practise) to be this good some day! It's a long thread but the finished image is worth the read! (so are his humourous writings along the way :D ) This link is for the page with the finished piece.(I think, depending on how many replies to a page you are set for, I'm set for 20)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189370&page=5&pp=30

hopefulbucky
06-06-2004, 05:45 PM
WOW Lorna as I expected you captured this bowl just beautifully. It is a great contrast to your mouthwatering cherries, the brilliance of the cherries against the pewter color of the bowl is marvelous. Will check back again, this is worth seeing come to life and spending more than 2 hours on . Fantabulous.

theIsland
06-06-2004, 05:48 PM
WOW. This is absolutely amazing. My husband and I both love it. The cherries look even better than they do in real life (we're finishing the last of them today), and our humble little Cost Plus bowl is rendered to perfection. The texture on both is perfect. It couldn't be better if you'd spent a week on it. I am so excited about seeing this one finished. I can't wait to see what you do with the cloth!

Noma

Celia
06-06-2004, 06:44 PM
Lorna....... Your bowl of cherries is absolutely exquisite...... the bowl and it's reflections just enhances the rich colors and shiny surface of the cherries..... I'm in awe.......... I checked out cyrillejubert's thread, and I'm amazed at the realism that can be achieved with watercolor...... I have new determination and respect for the medium........ I've found that I have a severe sensitivity to pastel dust, even using protective glasses and an air purifier....... my eyes turn to coals.......... so I'm disappointed, and looking for something besides colored pencils to take the place of my beloved pastels...... I like realism, and your version of the bowl of cherries is just about as close as you can get......... great job.......... lovely piece....... I can't wait to see the finish......

celia

Europa
06-06-2004, 07:13 PM
:clap: :clap:

Pat

katju
06-06-2004, 08:43 PM
Super work, Lorna!!! :clap: :clap: I know this takes a lot of patience and since I wasn't crazy about my first tomatoes, I decided to slow down and redo in w/c especially since I see how well your cherries came out. What colors did you use for the shadows?? I'm going to check out that detailed watercolor thread too.

The bowl colors work!

Kathy

artbyjune
06-07-2004, 02:42 AM
Excellent, such richness of colour. I am thinking about getting those watercolours out again too!!

lorna12
06-07-2004, 03:29 AM
I think I will call this finished (maybe...)

I had real trouble trying to make the cloth twinkle as it does in the photo...I really liked that. I achieved it a bit I think...may try to put a bit more in the shadow part. I just about gave up and used acrylics on the whole thing to get it right... actually I did used acrylic for the sparkle...just dragged the brush barely over the surface with white.

Celia, not to discourage you from trying w/c, but since the dust is a bother to you, have you considered trying oil pastels instead. NO dust!

Katju, the colors I used for the cherries are: vermillion, brilliant orange, lemon yellow and for the shadows...alizarin crimson with a touch of navy blue (just enough to darken it). Actually, I used the same colors on the cloth, leaning to the pink side slightly but with enough orange and yellow to go with the cherries. (I hope?)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2004/11613-Bowl_of_Cherries.jpg

edited to add: :o I'm sorry, I forgot to say thankyou for all the lovely compliments, everyone! :o THANKYOU!

dragonlady
06-07-2004, 05:04 AM
Wow. This is stunning. I can't believe you could achieve such depth of colour in watercolour and the cloth is beautiful. :clap: :clap: :clap:

cmwynn
06-07-2004, 11:28 AM
Not everyone can switch from one medium to another with such facility. I think you said watercolor was new to you, but you make it look like an old friend. There is so much good about this painting. I am just learning to make the shadows dark and darker, as these are.
Connie

dabblerdot
06-07-2004, 12:58 PM
When I opened this thread and saw the cherries, I was filled with a feeling of great interest and vague longing and realize I haven't had breakfast yet- you've made me hungry !!!! I am rivetted by the plump juicy cherries, and their reflection in that perfect bowl. Congrats on an amazing painting !! :clap: :clap: :clap:
( I have to go eat now- my stomach's begun to grumble !)

hopefulbucky
06-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Oh wow Lorna, your cloth turned out superb. Love the sparkles and the texture you achieved in the cloth. Your folds are marvelous. This is just such a winner as far as a painting goes. You should be extremely pleased. :clap: :clap: :clap:

purplelizard
06-07-2004, 04:09 PM
What a wonderful finish! And how did I miss this yesterday?? The photo was good, but your version of it is STUNNING!

four clappy people for you! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Deano
06-07-2004, 10:42 PM
I always expect a great job from you, Lorna, but this painting even goes beyond that. The cherries, the bowl, the complex cloth...you've nailed them all. outstanding! :clap: :clap: :clap:

lorna12
06-08-2004, 12:22 AM
Thankyou all, so much...you are such nice people!!

Connie, when I said that I had only done a few watercolors and considered myself new...that must have been back in Jan. WDE's...I have been doing more and more of them and finallyfeel I am getting the hang of them! I give credit to the WDE's for my growth in this medium...they (wde's) make me push to try harder and I have had such wonderful inspiring photos to work from for the last 5 months!

WDE'S RULE!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

stonewhiteclown
06-08-2004, 12:42 AM
This is a tricky image, and you are in full control! :clap: :clap: :clap: Love metal bowl with all reflections and hats off for cloth work!

Charlie's Mum
06-08-2004, 07:37 AM
Rich, luscious and soooooooooooooo inviting. You've done an incredible job here - and these cherries won't take long in the market place!!!!!!!
You've achieved wonders with the cloth too-and the bowl. Aw heck, I'm drooling! :D :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

zardoz
06-08-2004, 10:08 PM
been working some long hrs so haven't had a chance to follow your progress on this
WOW
the amount of detail you have achieved is awesome and the amount of control used is to be envied

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

lorna12
06-09-2004, 12:10 AM
Thankyou so much Alex, Maureen and zardoz, for your very kind comments! It was a challenge I enjoyed!

katju
06-10-2004, 06:47 PM
Oooooooooh! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh! GORGEOUS!! :clap:

thanks for the answer about colors, Lorna. I've never heard of brilliant orange. I have vermillion and cad orange. They're tricky because they're opaque. You've had great success this weekend! :clap: And the cloth is superb.

Kathy

Paapu
06-11-2004, 09:09 PM
can i have those bowl of cherries!!!!!!;) they are amazing as usual lorna! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I just now saw u have become a WC guide! i know am so late ,was not here for sometime... anywyas Congrats on that too!! you deserve it :clap:

Paapu

sundiver
06-11-2004, 10:02 PM
It.s gasping, jaw-on-floor stunning!
(and I almost missed it)

lorna12
06-12-2004, 01:51 AM
Thankyou Kathy, Paapu and Wendy!

I did a bit of touch ups on this...I wasn't very happy with the cloth in the shadow area so I took white acrylic paint on a pin and placed a bunch of dots in the pattern areas and then did a light glaze of color over them....now I am happier with it! I don't know if it will show up on here or not, but here is the final version.

edited to add...no, the sparkle and glow didn't show up as in real life...oh well, it's done! Ready for tomorrow now!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2004/11613-Bowl_of_Cherries_final.jpg