PDA

View Full Version : Just a Leaf

Jin
06-05-2004, 11:31 PM
Hello friends,

This ol' leaf has been around for over 20 years, and there are always new ways to use it. This time for a leaf challenge at another forum.

It was originally drawn in pencil with a rose leaf at hand to study, then inked on vellum, copied with a PMT camera for good black and white contrast, and approximately 6 to 7 inches from stem to tip.

Years later, I scanned it into Painter and have been playing with it ever since, making a Captured Dab brush variant, Patterns, and now this digital image, done in Painter 8.1.

Black and white reversed with leaf transparent and other art/color placed behind it:

http://www.tutoralley.com/ubb/jins_images/ida_leaf_chlng_jin_01.jpg

The image placed behind the transparent leaf lines was a large "quilt" made of many squares, each developed using multiple methods of working and each method applied multiple times, painting, applying glass distortion, using Layer Composite Methods, and I don't really recall what else. It's been a year or two since that piece was done.

Today, in order to mix up the colors a bit more, I again applied glass distortion to the "quilt" so the individual colors would no longer be larger blocks and distracting behind the transparent leaf veins and outline.

It's digital. You decide if it's "art" or not. ;)

For me it was fun.

Happy weekend to everyone!

P.S. Can anyone explain to me why my image tags are being ignored and only the image URL is displayed? Thanks in advance.

justjean
06-06-2004, 12:54 AM
Oh yes that is ART :clap: :clap:

It is beautiful and if it's every made into a pin I'll be first in line to buy one :)

Michael
06-06-2004, 01:48 AM
That is wonderful...looks almost like a glass ornament!!!!

Jet
06-06-2004, 04:05 AM
Sure it is ART.
You know this piece has a resemblance to molten glass, maube it would serve as a model piece for that.
I believe there are some glass people here , but i believe they're doing, blown glass pieces..
And that's another type of art too.

I like line work very much , hard to get it right and so easy to loose detail on the way, so it's a great achievement when a piece comes out clean and shiny...like this one of yours

Regards

justjean
06-06-2004, 07:35 AM
Hmmm, do I need to change my glasses? RedWater and Jet see glass I see metal filagree (sp?) LOL

Michael
06-06-2004, 08:41 AM
NOW I see a fossilised leaf! :evil:

themanda
06-06-2004, 11:45 AM
i saw it as metal, too. perhaps the gentlemen need new lenses?? LOL

this is wonderful...looks like silver and gold. like jean said, it would make a great jewelry piece.

love it!

Jin
06-06-2004, 01:51 PM
Thanks, everyone! It's so nice to hear you like my old leaf. :)

Making it into a pin is an interesting idea. I'll have to think about how that might be done, if I could do it myself, or if it had to be done by a jeweler, how much it would cost. My brother is an expert dental lab technician, used to work at home, and I might ask him if this could be done with lost wax casting as he has the equipment (or I hope he still has it).

Another way might be to do it with polymer clay, as an impression on a flat surface, or as a raised image. The colors might be fun to play with, getting something like I have in the image above only all over the background surface. Suppose that could be done by transferring a print somehow. What fun it is thinking of new ways to do things!

Thanks again, everyone. You've got me ol' brain cookin'. ;)

Here's another version, "decayed" using Painter's Woodcut Effect:

http://www.tutoralley.com/ubb/jins_images/wetcanvas_leaf_decayed_jin_02.jpg

Asking again, Jet maybe?

Can someone please tell me if it's possible to display an image that's located on my own server, using image tags? I'm trying it again today, but don't expect it'll work any better than yesterday.

I don't want to upload my images to the Wet Canvas server or any other message board's server as I prefer to keep them on my own site for various reasons.

Thanks in advance.

flowerfancy58
06-07-2004, 04:13 AM
Yes, a simple thing...... a leaf,.........but it's not simple at all! Very intricate and so beautiful:) I saw a metal filigree too.

gloria:)

Jin
06-07-2004, 11:20 AM
Thanks, gloria.

Leaves are fascinating, when we take time to look at them carefully.

Another leaf I love is the dried Magnolia leaf, when it's satiny brown leather on top and softer, lighter brown/tan suede on the bottom.

Isn't nature somethin'!

Here are a couple of samples using this same leaf as a Captured Dab image.

Custom Captured Dab brush variant set to paint with Color Variability:

http://www.pixelalley.com/painterforum-indepth/10-1-01-wet-on-wet-rose-eraser-salt-demo.jpg

Custom Captured Dab brush variant set to paint with Color Variability, Angle set to Expression: Random, and it looks like maybe Impasto Depth and Color with the Depth slider set fairly low. The circles you see are there to demonstrate "water splatters" made with the Water Colors' Eraser Salt variant:

http://www.tutoralley.com/ubb/jins_images/rose_leaf_captrd_dab_brush_01_opt.jpg

JulieBoyles
06-07-2004, 05:25 PM
These are beautiful Jin! :clap: :clap: When I see wonderful things like this, I know I've barely scratched the surface of Painter and Photoshop! Can't wait to see more from you!

Congratulations,
Julie

themanda
06-07-2004, 05:51 PM
wow...wouldn't that last one make fantastic wrapping paper???

these are all just wonderful.

Jin
06-07-2004, 06:37 PM
Thanks, Julie and Amanda. :)

I've had so much fun with that one simple black and white drawing!

Though I do use Photoshop now and then, Painter's my favorite program and I can say without hesitation it's entertained me for as long as I've known it.

Captured Dab brush variants are great to play with. It's amazing how much variety we can get out of even a single one of them and there are endless possibilities for creating new ones.

There are a coupld of tutorials on my PixelAlley site if you'd like to take a look. They're written for older versions but fairly easy to translate for Painter 8.

The only warning:

If you're using Painter 8, when you draw a rectangular selection around the image you're going to use as the brush dab, don't hold down the Shift key to make it a perfect square. If you do, since there's a bug in Painter 8, the Capture Dab command will be greyed out. Just make the "square" selection freehand and it'll be fine.

Drawing and Capturing a Brush Dab Image and Creating a New Brush Category - written for Painter 5/5.5, Painter 6, and Painter 7 - 1994 - 2004, Jinny Brown (http://www.pixelalley.com/tutorials/dwg-capturing-a-brush.html)

Capturing a Gingerbread Man Brush - written for Painter 6 - 1994 - 2004, Jinny Brown (http://www.pixelalley.com/tutorials/gingerbread-man-brush.html)

If you have any trouble translating those steps for Painter 8, just ask and I'll be happy to help.

flowerfancy58
06-07-2004, 08:56 PM
Jin, I'd love to make a custom brush of your leaf. Would you mind if I did?

let me know,

gloria:)

Jin
06-07-2004, 11:42 PM
Gloria,

I'm flattered that you asked, but no. This is one I don't want to share, though I do share a lot with the Painter community as you probably know already.

This leaf was part of a series of drawings/inkings I did freelancing while just beginning to learn to be an illustrator. It has sentimental value, for one thing. For another, it's one of a handful original inkings I still have that are not among those I'm prohibited from publishing due to restrictions placed by the companies I worked for.

It would not be difficult for you to create your own leaves or other nature based images for Captured Dab brush variants.

Please don't copy mine, though. There's a whole world full of beautiful leaves you can draw from (pardon the pun). ;)

Thanks again for asking. I appreciate that and the fact you noticed it's copyrighted (as is all of our art, by the way).

flowerfancy58
06-07-2004, 11:56 PM
Okay Jin, I understand:)

gloria

Jin
06-08-2004, 12:06 AM
I thought you would, Gloria.

Thanks for understanding. I get really tired of people who don't understand that some things just aren't theirs to take. It kind of makes one feel used up.

It's nice to know there are people who have enough respect for others to ask first and then be gracious if the answer is no.

Don't worry, I'm not finished giving. It's too much fun to share things, to quit now. ;)

Freedom's poet
06-09-2004, 12:00 PM
Both versions are definitely ART!!! I love the intricate filigree look of the first leaf and the second version is very stark looking. Great work!!

Susan

Jin
06-09-2004, 12:54 PM
Thanks, Susan.

I'm glad to hear you like them.

It's easy work, just requires the patience to draw and ink the image.

Then it's plain fun seeing what can be done with it in Painter.

Try drawing and inking a leaf yourself and see how much fun it can be.

Haven't tried this, but expect that scanning a leaf would provide a good start, too.

:)

Jet
06-15-2004, 04:45 PM
Jin, here it is...
i hadn't seen your question ..before..

Sorry!!

do you still need the answer?

:cool:

Michael
06-15-2004, 04:51 PM
Yes She Does Jorge!!!!!! :D

Elvira
06-15-2004, 04:52 PM
Jin, I love the leaf and yes a lost wax casting will work, for making it a pin. And dental gold would likely work just great as it would also have strength to give this delicate cast more durability.
Edie :)

Jet
06-15-2004, 05:00 PM
--image removed--
*it was a test and it was left here by mistake*
:rolleyes:

Jin
06-15-2004, 05:05 PM
Jet,

Well, yes I do, as a matter of fact.

That's kinda why it's now been asked at least three times in two threads.

Anytime someone wants to take a few minutes to answer my question, I'll be glad to read the explanation.

If it doesn't get answered, I'll just figure there's something going on that I don't want to be a part of.

Let's hope it's just a rather exaggerated oversight.

Thanks again.. in advance.

Jet
06-15-2004, 05:05 PM
Jin,
that's called "Remote Linking" and it has been banned at WC since some time ago, due to severe abuse in the past.

I know there is the whole explanation in some thread with the new rules and changes WC had to go through during the last mega-update.

*___________
Whenever you need a quick answer, just click on the lazy croc, at the signature of this post and he'll call me right away :D

Jin
06-15-2004, 05:09 PM
http://www.tutoralley.com/ubb/jins_images/wetcanvas_leaf_decayed_jin_02.jpg

Jet,

Please remove the link to my image from your message.

Neither do I want my images posted by another person, nor is the image even showing up in your post is that's what you intended.

The **only** time either my written materials or images may be posted by someone else is if they first ask and receive my written permission.

Thanks.

Jin
06-15-2004, 05:15 PM
Jin,
that's remote linking and it has been banned at WC since some time ago, due to severe abuse in the past.

i am trying one of my images at Pbase and it won't let me do it ..
http://www.pbase.com/image/29948893.jpg

If you need a quick answer just click on the lazy croc, at the signature of this post and he'll call me right away :D

Jet,

Thanks for answering my question.

Remote linking is not allowed by some sites, including Geocities, Tripod, Renderosity.. and PBase, so of course your image won't show up in your message.

Since my images are on my own site, my own domain, I can do remote linking to my own images, and I display them on other message boards all the time.

I don't know why WetCanvas would ban remote linking except with regard to images located on the WetCanvas site where abuse would affect WetCanvas. This is what the other sites that do not allow remote linking do for the very reason of abuse.

Somehow I think there must be a misunderstanding, but I'll check into it to see if I'm the one who's mistaken. That could very well be the case.

Jin
06-15-2004, 05:44 PM
Jin, I love the leaf and yes a lost wax casting will work, for making it a pin. And dental gold would likely work just great as it would also have strength to give this delicate cast more durability.
Edie :)

Thanks, Edie!

Glad you like it, and thanks for the confirmation lost wax casting would work.

Do you have experience with lost wax casting? I've always thought it would be something I'd enjoy doing, or at least learning how to do.

Time and energy are the biggest hindrance, not to mention money for extra tools. Maybe in heaven?

;)

Elvira
06-15-2004, 05:56 PM
You are welcome Jin, no only the theory in college about 35 years ago LOL, and the only casting we actually did was making a plaster mold of a clay sculpture and pouring epoxy resin and finishing it. It did demonstrate the basics of casting though.
Edie

Jin
06-15-2004, 06:03 PM
Edie,

Just another reason to go to school! There are so many things we're exposed to in school whether or not we make a career of using them. That knowledge still does come in handy now and then.

It's like the quarter or two I spent doing zinc plate etching and other photo based printmaking (paint BFK paper with photo chemicals, cover with a negative, then glass, and expose in the sun) about 22 years ago.. and a photography class too. The memories are enough to keep me happy, and the basic understanding of processes is great to have too.

Thanks again! :)

maria_khurram
04-12-2005, 03:19 AM
WOW :clap: :clap: :clap:

Jin
04-12-2005, 03:56 AM
Hi donald,

I guess all that hand clapping means you liked my leaf. ;)

Thanks.