PDA

View Full Version : WDE June 5 Clouds

Dharma_bum
06-05-2004, 08:31 PM
Well, here is my somewhat overworked effort for today. Not very happy with the bottom third, too many attemps to fix left it muddled, but I learned a lot about doing clouds.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2004/41430-WDE-Sky-2.jpg

Dan

purplelizard
06-05-2004, 08:55 PM
Dan, this is great! Your clouds are fantastic and you might not be happy with the trees, but I like them. The whole thing feels dramatic and moody - it has "what's going to happen?" feeling, mystery.

Good job! :clap:

cmwynn
06-05-2004, 09:22 PM
Is this watercolor? The clouds are very successful.
Connie

pjo
06-05-2004, 09:26 PM
I love your sky, and agree with Kristen about the moody feel in the foreground, maybe with just a little work, a few touches of color or highlights, but keep the contrast and that wonderful mood. Very nice.

Dharma_bum
06-05-2004, 09:44 PM
Hi, thanks for the comments, I forgot to say it is oil on canvas board, 8x12
Will be back to look at others later.

Dan

Drumbeat-trish
06-05-2004, 09:57 PM
cool -thought it was oil :) I think you have done a fabulous job of the clouds dan -and the lightness in those right hand trees really brings it out. I was really taken with this ref pic too - you have done it justice indeed. If you aren't happy with the left hand bottom just let it rest a while and come back to it, though personally I think its just fine -love the way the whole thing sort of blends off at the bottom. Lovely atmosphere :clap: :clap: :clap:

gcooper
06-05-2004, 10:28 PM
I would definitely leave it alone except for the highlights the PJO suggested. Very nice....love the feeling you get from looking at it.

theIsland
06-05-2004, 11:00 PM
I agree totally with what Kristen said, about the "what's going to happen?" feeling of mystery about this. You captured more than just the look here... you captured a mood. The clouds are fabulous, and the bottom part probably isn't as bad as you think. I'm glad someone was able to do something with this photo. :)

Noma

xreader
06-05-2004, 11:03 PM
Very Nice...a grand success! :clap: :clap: :clap:

prestonsega
06-06-2004, 12:21 AM
I think "wispy" is the word sometimes used to describe these clouds. You pulled off the "wispiness" very well. Nice.

Europa
06-06-2004, 04:35 AM
Great job - love those clouds especially.

Pat

hopefulbucky
06-06-2004, 05:47 PM
Dan, first of all your clouds are (I am running out of adjectives) marvelous. You have captured light and movement and even wind with these clouds. This is the main focus of the painting, to my way of thinking, so the bottom doesn't look too muddled just sort of the background for the cloud formations. Great job!

katju
06-06-2004, 09:25 PM
Dan,

I have to agree with what Kristen said. It really came out nicely. It reminds me of an older painting where their colors were more somber. It really does convey a mood of darkness, maybe a storm is coming......It works! :clap:

Kathy

Deano
06-07-2004, 12:33 AM
The clouds are just great. The bottom landscape should play a subdominant role...I like the mystery there. Very nice painting! :clap: :clap:

Chiers
06-07-2004, 12:55 AM
Your sky is beautiful and the whole painting looks good to me! :clap:

dabblerdot
06-07-2004, 07:21 PM
I am another who likes it just the way it is- the clouds are the interest point, and the bottom of the painting serves to set it off. I'd hate to see the sky lose any of it's power if the foreground should start to steal it away. This is truly beautiful :clap:

Celia
06-07-2004, 08:46 PM
I think that you've done a great job on the clouds...... reminds me of when I was a kid..... we'd lie in the grass and look up at the clouds for hours, just looking for formations that we would point out to one another........ aahhh to be a kid again......

celia

Yokovich
06-07-2004, 09:24 PM
haiku for sure :) nicely done