PDA

View Full Version : The Ballet

prestonsega
06-05-2004, 08:25 PM
I usually paint with soft pastels, but I bought a new toy this week. .... a set of oil pastels. This is my second work using them.....It's a whole different world than the softies.....Needless to say, it will require more than the alloted time to turn it into a painting....it was a learning experience anyway.

9"x 12" Oil Pastel on Wallis paper

purplelizard
06-05-2004, 08:50 PM
WOW! This is just wonderful - I can feel the sense of drama and theatre lights - love the reflection on the floor in front of the dancers!

Good job! :clap:

Andrew Rance
06-05-2004, 09:17 PM
Great effect - did you attempt the whole group, or just these two figures?

cmwynn
06-05-2004, 09:26 PM
Well, that's what this all about - learning new things. Some details may be blurred here, but overall, it is terrific.
Connie

Drumbeat-trish
06-05-2004, 10:14 PM
OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH - the drama - the colour - the lights - this is incredible ......... jaw-dropping

gcooper
06-05-2004, 10:22 PM
This is beautiful.....I am been thinking about tying the oil pastels.....do they work similar to oil paints.....I don't know anything about them....You used them very well in this painting.

theIsland
06-05-2004, 11:02 PM
That's a jaw-dropper! Great cropping, great color and light. Absolutely gorgeous. Congratulations on a very successful effort!

Noma

xreader
06-05-2004, 11:09 PM
A supurb treatment of the subject matter. :clap: :clap: :clap:

prestonsega
06-05-2004, 11:14 PM
You guys are way too kind. Thanks for the comments. I didn't attempt any of the other figures. I guess I used this WDE as an exercise to test the limits of the oil pastels and myself. I agree that there are some good things going on with this piece, such as the floor and composition, but technically....well, lets just say it was good to be able to laugh at myself!!! I lovingly refer to this as "The Fallen Nose Picker" :D .....

gcooper......Oil pastels are nothing like oil paints...they are a breed unto themselves. I really wanted them for use while traveling (no dust )

Now I'm going to see ya'lls work!

Chiers
06-06-2004, 12:38 AM
Preston I think this is fantastic. Particularly since it's a first with oil pastels. I saved this one too but for later and more time. I love the way you cropped it, and yes, the floor is great. :clap: :clap:

blondiedenise
06-06-2004, 01:11 AM
Preston-

Great crop! Never would have thought of that myself....Love the reflection in the floor. Great fisrt time with the OP. :clap: :clap:

Denise

Dharma_bum
06-06-2004, 01:42 AM
Great start on a rather ambitious piece, the floor reflections are superb, and I too like the crop you chose.
Dan

lorna12
06-06-2004, 01:52 AM
This is really wonderful! The lighting is suberb and I love the colors you used. OP's certainly are a breed all on their own...I have been trying them out lately and must say you sure have a better handle on them than me!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

ams
06-06-2004, 07:48 AM
This came out very nice, especially for a first time with a new medium.

When I first saw this, I was wondering what reference you had used. I didn't remember two ballet dancers... :confused: Then I realized you had cropped the theater scene. Wonderful choice.

Anne

Europa
06-06-2004, 10:50 AM
Preston you should be suitably chuffed with this - you have really captured the atmosphere and movement of the dance - well done. :clap:

Pat

artbyjune
06-06-2004, 12:46 PM
I think you have caught the atmosphere and drama of the ballet extremely well. Its lovely. :clap: :cool:

hopefulbucky
06-06-2004, 04:55 PM
Preston, good job, you have portrayed to me movement and grace and flow of these dancers. Love your soft colors of the dancers in contrast to the rich color of the floor and like the hint of the background dancers. Marvelous job :clap: :clap: :clap:

katju
06-06-2004, 08:38 PM
Preston, this is fabulous. The beautifully rendered figures and the whole combination of colors you used reminds me of the theater. Have you thought about cross posting to the figure forum? I haven't seen any pastels in there. They might enjoy this! :)

Kathy

Celia
06-06-2004, 08:51 PM
Very interesting........ I'm certainly curious about the oil pastels........ you have done such a beautiful piece without it being chunky or piled up, which is my recollection of my time or two of trying OP's........ did you do any blending?...... and how smooth was the surface of your paper?....... did you build up layers?........ anyway, I think that your dancers are wonderful.....

celia

Freedom's poet
06-07-2004, 01:18 AM
I love the feel of this Preston. It really captures the intensity of being on stage. Wonderful!!

Susan

Deano
06-07-2004, 01:42 AM
Beautiful color and composition, Preston. I especially like the loosness of application. Some things that are merely implied invites the viewer to participate. That's a goal that I have been working on. :clap: :clap:

dabblerdot
06-07-2004, 07:34 PM
"And now for something completely different"... wow, what a charge !! The composition is lovely, the dancers wonderfully rendered, and the reflection on the floor and the subtle background really sets them off. You certainly seem to be mastering these OP's in record time ! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: