PDA

View Full Version : 6/5 WDE-WIP Tomatoes

purplelizard
06-05-2004, 08:14 PM
OOooohhhh, I hate Fabriano Tiz...something or other paper! I like CANSON better! sigh......this is a WIP - color is WAY out there - soft pastels on nasty ultramarine paper, 19.5" X 12.5" . C&C is welcome, encouraged, etc.

What I did differently this week, from other weeks - I tried new paper, and my pastels were dumped out of their original boxes and sorted by values. It was actually kinda hard to work today...not sure why...paper drove me nuts, that's for sure. Live and learn! I'll apply a little fix and "fix" it! Brown paper bag would have been easier to work on......:evil: :D

Can't wait to see everyone elses!

purplelizard
06-05-2004, 08:20 PM
Giant oops! Try this image instead - I didn't size it right! :eek:

xreader
06-05-2004, 08:23 PM
A fine painting...your tomatoes look yummy, and your shadows create lots of depth. :D

Andrew Rance
06-05-2004, 09:10 PM
Great rendition - lots of colour and contrast.

cmwynn
06-05-2004, 09:15 PM
Vibrant color. Looks effortless, though you say you labored over this.
Connie

Drumbeat-trish
06-05-2004, 09:26 PM
awesome colour and depth in this Kristen , and the softeness of the cloth is simply beautiful - excellent work -love it !!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

pjo
06-05-2004, 09:31 PM
I know how hard it is to try something new and struggle with it, but this just turned out great. From this end it doesn't look like a struggle at all. Keep pushing yourself, that's how we grow. Love your colors, and I agree the white cloth is super.

bluepellinore
06-05-2004, 09:32 PM
This is terrific :D I love how you handled the shadows. It really makes the tomatoes pop out. Super job! :clap:

purplelizard
06-05-2004, 09:47 PM
Thanks, y'all for the kind words. I feel like the highlights are too harsh and the deepest shadows still need some work. Its a bit "electric" to me, but I like the drama that's there - just needs some tuning!

I'm going to let it "rest" overnight and look at it fresh tomorrow. I'll start a new thread for the finished product - or post it here - not sure what I'm supposed to do!

Thanks again!

gcooper
06-05-2004, 10:32 PM
Gorgeous......don't you dare touch those colors.....

theIsland
06-05-2004, 10:52 PM
Oooooh, yummy colors! The cooler background tomatoes recede very nicely. This is a deceptively easy looking photo, but as you get into it, you discover that every one of these tomatoes has a different "personality." You've captured this very well. I also like how you indicated the wicker basket, with just a few strokes. And the light is coming along really well. I'm looking forward to seeing it after you make the alterations you said you want to make. :

Noma

prestonsega
06-06-2004, 12:34 AM
Great job....and don't be so so self critical......It needs its own thread in the pastel forum. Everyone needs to see this one!

Chiers
06-06-2004, 12:42 AM
Well as far as I am concerned you sure couldn't tell by looking at this that you had a hard time! It's great. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dharma_bum
06-06-2004, 01:36 AM
Doesn't look like you are struggling at all, very nice recession to mysterious background. I kind of like the Tiziano paper, though white cloth on ultra marine paper would be a challenge. Whatever you are doing is working well. Love the waeve of the basket.

Dan

lorna12
06-06-2004, 01:42 AM
Kristen, I think you must have been too close to it to appreciate it. It's wonderful!! The colors are awesome and you have a really good sense of depth going on....I really like it! :clap: :clap: :clap:

ams
06-06-2004, 08:27 AM
I know you had a hard time with this but the end result is beautiful.

Great job. :clap:

Anne

Celia
06-06-2004, 09:31 AM
Don't be hard on yourself...... the painting is wonderful...... I love the colors and the way you portrayed the shininess of the tomato skins........ just think how terrific it would have been had you had more cooperative paper..........

celia

Europa
06-06-2004, 10:56 AM
Great colours - great shadows - great painting!! :clap:

Pat

FriendCarol
06-06-2004, 11:01 AM
That second image you posted is the one I'm looking at, and it looks (as they say) good enough to eat!

Somewhere I read that pastels should be worked in order of hardness (either hard to soft, or soft to hard, I don't remember... only noticed that much because I still have a box lying around here that I'll never use). Maybe sorting by values, unless they're all the same degree of hardness, made it harder for you? It would make sense, I guess, that one should put the 'harder' colors down first so the hard sticks don't rub off the soft stuff already on the paper?

But to return to your image -- it looks terrific, really. Great highlights and color, terrific range of values (white to black -- couldn't get much wider, could it!). Also like the way your basket and the cloth are definitely there, but not distracting! :)

Deano
06-06-2004, 12:00 PM
Love it, Kristen. The challenge you put before you has worked out well. Everything is so solid and believeable. I really like the blue in the shadows( original support?). :clap: :clap:

purplelizard
06-06-2004, 02:30 PM
Ok, today I like it better. And yes, I probably was too close to it.

Friend Carol, my pastels are all different shapes - the nupastels (hard) are rectangular sticks, and senniliers are round, and so are the Rembrandt's but their textures are different, so I can tell them apart. Most of the time, I work hard to soft...then there are days that I throw caution to the wind and don't worry about it!:D

Deano, very little of the original support is showing through. I went in and laid in a base color, mid value red or orange, depending on the tomato, then went back and added shadows and highlights last. If I'd been working on Canson, I suppose more of the blue would have shown through in that funny pattern it has. The Fabriano has a pattern, but it is a very small, tight pattern.

I tinkered with it some late last night - I'll post the update in a bit. Thanks for all of the positive remarks. Y'all are so supportive! :clap:

hopefulbucky
06-06-2004, 03:41 PM
Kristen, I love your tomatoes. I can imagine how it is with the wrong paper (it has happened to me) and it is so very frustrating. But you made the best of a problem. Your tomatoes are bright and portray the light very well. You really did an excellent job you should be pleased. Just remember next time not to use the same paper. LOL

Freedom's poet
06-07-2004, 12:46 PM
This is awesome Kristen :clap: The colors are so vibrant and the depth is wonderful. The lights and shadows are incredible!!! Very impressive painting!!

Susan

artbyjune
06-07-2004, 02:28 PM
I think this is a terrific painting. :clap: :clap: ;)

Charlie's Mum
06-09-2004, 02:43 PM
I recognise and sympathise with all you say P/L - we've probably all been there! ;)
BUT, I think this is a gorgeous rendering of the toms - aren't those colours just sumptuous and inviting? And the 'nest' of paper towel/cloth, whatever, is superb. (It's just as well I didn't see this earlier or I'd have chickened out posting mine because I struggled with the OPs and the bk/gd!)
Beautiful :D :clap: :clap: :clap:

purplelizard
06-09-2004, 06:14 PM
Thanks to all! Looking forward to another WDE - took this one off to the framers today! yea!