View Full Version : WDE 5/5/04 Solar City WIP

MKathleen
06-05-2004, 07:40 PM
Title: Solar City WIP
Medium: Oil Pastel on Wallis Sanded Paper
9" x 12"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2004/5343-WDESolarCity.jpg

:D Hi All:
Wow I can't believe I actually had time to participate in a WDE. I can't tell you how great it felt to be back racing the clock again. As this is still a work in progress I think it has a pretty good start. Something about this horse just called to my creative juices and love of horses. I decided to leave out the fence and will bring the foreground grasses up higher in value and hue. More work to do on the horse body color and more detailing to the bridle. Will correct that distracting outline on the lower lip edge. More work needed to the tree's also.
I'll be back later to comment on everyone else's paintings.
Best,

theIsland
06-05-2004, 07:58 PM
He's lookin' good! You've captured that "look of eagles" in his eyes and posture. Great drawing - it's obvious you know equine anatomy. I also like how you put some life in those midtones that was missing in the photo. Really nice!

Good choice to leave out the fence. If I could have photographed him without the fence in the way, I would have, but this was a very aggressive animal. I was warned I might lose some fingers if I even leaned too far over the fence with my camera. This guy was the first yearling in history to sell for $1 million... then he injured himself in his first race.

I've missed seeing your stuff on the WDEs. Im glad you could make it today! :)

Noma

cmwynn
06-05-2004, 09:06 PM
I/m not sure what medium you used, but the colors are so bold and fitting for him.
Connie

purplelizard
06-05-2004, 09:10 PM
This is wonderful! Horses can be difficult to do...but your's looks very lively and animated. Love your colors!

pjo
06-05-2004, 09:52 PM
You've really captured him in such a short time, he really stands out against that light background.

Drumbeat-trish
06-05-2004, 10:12 PM
You got that wild look in his eye alright :D Interesting to see the way people have interpreted this beauty's character . Good to see you able to make it this week Kathy - and look forward to seeing the finishes you put on this :)

prestonsega
06-06-2004, 01:32 AM
I bow to your abilities. I have just started with OPs and have very quickly gained an appreciation for the artists that have mastered this medium. :clap:

lorna12
06-06-2004, 01:37 AM
Great job Kathy! What Preston said applies to me, too...I'm trying them and have more and more admiration for those who do them so well, you among them! :clap: :clap:

Dharma_bum
06-06-2004, 02:00 AM
A fitting subject for Belmont day. Very nice job, lovely mane, harness, and the horse, of course.

Dan

ams
06-06-2004, 08:05 AM
This is so beautiful. The colors and expression and background, they all feel just right.

Anne

Celia
06-06-2004, 09:44 AM
Lovely portrait.......... I think it was a good idea to leave the fence out of the painting.......... you did a good job of ad libbing........ nicely done....

celia

FriendCarol
06-06-2004, 10:35 AM
This is one scary looking dude, equine variety! Another very fast OP worker, I see. :) I'll have to return when he's finished... my browser is giving initial symptoms this PC may have been online too long. But it's looking really great so far!

Hope the million-dollar horse is earning his feed in stud fees, anyway.

dabblerdot
06-06-2004, 10:26 PM
I love horses and I love this portrait !! :clap: Very rich colours, great head conformation drawing and I really like the contours of his halter as it goes round his jaw and muzzle. This is already delicious and I can hardly wait to see the finish (hey, sounds like a winner) ;)

Chiers
06-07-2004, 12:52 AM
I like your painting lots. YOu did a great job for so little time. I wish I could master the ops that well.

Deano
06-07-2004, 01:16 AM
Looking really good, Kathy. You sure know horses 'cause everything about him looks very authentic. I also like the skyholes in the background tree...I might be wierd, but that's just something I notice. :clap: :clap:

MKathleen
06-07-2004, 05:54 PM
Hi Everyone! :D
Noma thank you I'm pleased you liked what I have done so far. Boy did I ever want that little short race horse to win. I love horses and have always admired their beauty and grace. I'm also working of a sculpure of my Dad and his favorite horse 'Lucky'. Working in the round 3D gives you a chance to feel the muscle and body structure of an animal. Which in turn help greating when painting an animal also.
This guy was the first yearling in history to sell for $1 million... then he injured himself in his first race.
Interesting, I thought for such a valuable horse his halter is pretty scruffy. Now I understand....thank you for the insight. He's still a beauty..

Connie, thank you I'm using Oil Pastels on Wallis sanded paper.

purplelizard, thank too and I'm pleased you like my colors.

pjo, thank you I like the light sky for this one it doesn't always work.

Trish how the heck are ya? thank you also he is a wild eyed beauty true. It felt so great to be doing a WDE again gald I could do it.

Preston,thank you also mastered the op's no, I don't think that will ever happen. There is always something new to learn and always room for improvment. Glad you like op's they and oil paints were my first mediums. Ahh nothing like the smell of turps, oil paint and linseed oil in the morning. LOL

lorna, thank you and great to hear from you as you know I'm an admirer of your graphite work. You'll do well with op's as with all your mediums.

Dan, thank you yes it was a fitting subject just wished Shorty Jones had won. :(

Anne, thank you so much, what a nice compliment.

Celia, thank you yeah I think the fence really did not add to the composition. Kind of fun to change things around, actually I think it helps to make the painting more formal.

FriendCarol, thank you too for your compliment I'm enjoying working on this beauty

dabblerdot, I'm speechless well almost--THANK YOU what lovely compliments.

Chiers, thank you too op's are fun arent' they!

Deano, thank you I love sky holes too--if my painting has trees or brushes it's got sky holes or background color holes.

:D Thanks so much you all, you know how to make a gal feel good! :D

MKathleen
06-12-2004, 01:17 PM
Solar City Update
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2004/5343-SolarCityUpdateone.jpg
Hi All:
Here is an update still more to do but making progress....just thought I'd share before the next WDE gets going. By the way Thanks lisilk for being our Host this weekend!

lorna12
06-12-2004, 02:27 PM
Looking great, Kathy! I don't know what more you have in your mind to do, but IMO, you could quit now and call it done.....excellent job on the horse!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Charlie's Mum
06-12-2004, 03:21 PM
Quite apart from the excellent head, the dappled light on the ground and the treatment of the trees are superb. A lovely painting - and I'm sorry I missed this earlier! :) :clap: :clap:

theIsland
06-12-2004, 03:44 PM
Absolutely gorgeous. Wow, look at that eye!!! So lifelike, deep and reflective. You're really capturing the regal quality of this horse. Looking forward to seeing even more. :)

Noma
...who was also rooting for that short little horse last week.

MKathleen
06-12-2004, 05:36 PM
Lorna, Maureen, Noma
Thank you all, for your terrific compliments I'll be back again with hopefully the final image. :D
I don't know what more you have in your mind to do,
Lorna I'm mainly just being picky now, going back in to adjust color values and adjusting lines on the horse that might be a tad off. Very close to being done. :D

lisilk
06-12-2004, 05:47 PM
He's gorgeous ! You do horsey so well and in OP's to boot. (Yikes ) Perfect colors and pose.

MKathleen
06-12-2004, 10:56 PM
Thanks Li, I use to paint a lot of horses but haven't painted one in a long time. I've been sculpting a horse and rider for three years I'm slow...lol
I have enjoyed working on this lovely horse it would be great to see him in person. But not to much in person as Noma says he bites! :eek:

MKathleen
06-16-2004, 12:06 PM
:) Solar City Finished?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2004/5343-SolarCityUpdatetwo.jpg
Hi All, well is he finished or more work needed?

marilyn h
06-16-2004, 04:45 PM
I love this horse. He isn't smelling sunflowers but he has the same look on him as the Isilk's sister has. Great work.

MKathleen
06-17-2004, 04:47 PM
Hi Marilyn, thank you for your nice compliment and I appreciate you taking the time to comment about Solar City. :)