PDA

View Full Version : Mermaid - Tips???

MSAndie
06-05-2004, 07:21 PM
I got soo many great tips on the last one i posted (thanks guys! i'll post the finished piece when i'm done!)... So i thought i would ask about another piece i'm struggling with.

I drew the basic sktech (attachment 1) of this piece (again with pencil on paper, cause i still don't have a tablet :( ) and i'm using photoshop to try and color it (attachment 2).

I haven't done the background yet (just put in a quick gradient to show the idea of the beach)... I'm mostly looking for tips on the mermaid. I am having problems getting the lines out, without the image looking odd. I've mostly used the airbrush tool so far...

Any tips will be much appriciated. :)

Wasn't sure i should put a nudity warning or not, so i'll err on the safe side. ;)

Michael
06-05-2004, 07:26 PM
looking good so far!!!

What I dowhen I don't want the lines to show through too mush is duplicate the line drawing and reduce the opacity and paint on the duped layer. This way you can have the lines as dark or as strong as you want them.

There are much more professional ways of doing this, I have just found this way easiest!

Just remember to discard your bottom layer when you are done...LOL

themanda
06-05-2004, 08:59 PM
mike's suggestion is probably what i would do. drop that opacity down to 5% or so, until you've got just the barest suggestion of a line to follow.

for this piece, since the lines are there, i would probably either color sample and paint over them on a new layer, or use a large soft brush at mid opacity and smudge them out.

you're very talented, btw. this looks great!

Michael
06-05-2004, 09:04 PM
Thanks Amanda,
I should have probably also mentioned that you should first open your line art, reduce the opacity until the lines look as you would want them, then save that! Remember to rename this so you don't overwrite the original. Then..open that saved copy and dupe that and go a painting!! :D

Jet
06-05-2004, 10:27 PM
Awesome...i love the long lines and open large colored spaces..

feels "fresh"...

I will be following , to see the progress on this one..

Regards

ps-nice tail :D..great extension...it might need some scales later on.. ;)