PDA

View Full Version : wde 6/5 bread'n'rose wip

Drumbeat-trish
06-05-2004, 06:30 PM
I don't know what ever possessed me to start this - I DON'T DO still life OR &^&)*(*(&) FLOWERS. However having begun I am now determined to finish. Having trouble getting the paint to work on the board -so I need to leave it to dry and go and glaze over. As you can see I haven't got very far ( no highlights in the rose -or anywhere else yet- will leave that for when its dry and same for texture in cloth and bread etc .
Anyway this is oil on board -12"x12" about 3 hours in and probably another 20 to go lol.

Time to take a break -going to have a quick peek at everyone's masterpieces, sit down with a cup o tea and cry then maybe go do something looser and crazier :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2004/6194-breadrosewip.jpg

xreader
06-05-2004, 06:36 PM
Drumbeat-Trish, I think you are doing just fine with this. I love the shadows in your rose. :D

katju
06-05-2004, 06:54 PM
Yes, ma'am, your rose is looking very rosy. You can do it!! :D. (Check the angle on the knife handle though it looks funny on my computer.)

Kathy

Drumbeat-trish
06-05-2004, 07:28 PM
xreader-thanks -I am determined to finish this ( but it won't be today lol)
Kathy -thank-you and yep you are right -knife handle quite a bit out- will fix it :)well try to .....

FriendCarol
06-05-2004, 07:53 PM
Terrific! Your bread and rose is looking great, and worth lots more hours! :clap:

theIsland
06-05-2004, 08:04 PM
Wow, your rose looks more like the real rose than the photo did! You even captured how it was wilting just a tiny bit in the hot sun. Those shadows on the rose are a wonderful color. Well, the whole rose is full of wonderful color! A very nice start, and now that you've gotten the hard part over, the rest should be a breeze. :)

Noma

purplelizard
06-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Great start! Aren't WDE's for trying new things?? Good for you for doing something out of your comfort zone! Keep going - the rose is great and the bread is coming along nicely, too!

I'll check back for the finished one!

cmwynn
06-05-2004, 09:18 PM
You are your hardest critic. The rose may not be quite finished, but is lovely as is. Quite impressive.
Connie

pjo
06-05-2004, 09:45 PM
I think you have a great start on this still life/rose. The bread looks great, and the darks and shape of your rose is very nice. Keep with it, it looks like its going to be great.

Dharma_bum
06-06-2004, 01:03 AM
D-T, Looks good so far! I don't do flowers either, a rose like that would give me the heebie jeebies- to many petals to keep track of.

Dan

blondiedenise
06-06-2004, 01:03 AM
Drumbeat Trish-

Your rose is beautiful! Keep going and post it when you're done. For not liking still-life you are doing a great job! :clap: :clap:

Denise

prestonsega
06-06-2004, 01:08 AM
Such a complicated selection...now I know why you had to play with George..
Flowers are a mystery to me when it comes to painting them....good work on a tough subject....I'll see it when you post the finished pic.

lorna12
06-06-2004, 02:09 AM
You gotta quit knocking yourself! This is GOOD! That rose already has that soft velvety look to it and you'll get everything done just fine, because you already have a great start on it. I'll look forward to the finish.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

ams
06-06-2004, 07:57 AM
For someone who doesn't do flowers, that rose looks pretty good. You have captured the shadows and the feel of overlapping petals. Keep going, it is going to be one to be proud of when it is finished.

Anne

Celia
06-06-2004, 09:59 AM
Oh, I think that rose is awesome.......... it is better than the photograghed image used for reference, in my opinion....... I can hardly wait to see this when you have finished it........

celia

Europa
06-06-2004, 10:59 AM
You go girl!!! - looking good!!

Pat

artbyjune
06-06-2004, 12:43 PM
The rose is beautiful!!

guilliame
06-06-2004, 03:25 PM
Hey Trish this is looking great already,the bread looks tasty waiting to see the highlights of the flour on it and when you add the highlights to that super rose it will be a real beaut :clap:

hopefulbucky
06-06-2004, 03:29 PM
Wow Trish your rose is coming along beautifully, looks like just a little bit more of highlights and you are done. Can't believe you don't do flowers this is very well done.

dabblerdot
06-07-2004, 02:41 AM
Girl, your suffering was worth it !! This is a glorious rose ! I can almost touch the fine velvety texture of the petals, and the shadows are sublime. I don't understand how you are not yet pleased with the flower- frustrated I can understand, because of the complexity. You've even captured the wilting edge on the petals of a rose barely past it's freshest prime. Toast your bread and polish your knife, and you've got another masterpiece ! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Drumbeat-trish
06-07-2004, 03:52 AM
thank-you all for your lovely encouraging comments - I promise I will post when its done -but oils being what they are not ready to touch right now :)
dabb -you have a wonderful turn of phrawe :)

Deano
06-07-2004, 10:57 AM
You have a good advanced lay- in for the painting. Everything will look great at the finish. You have the complexities of the rose petals layed in especially well. Take your time and finish this, and you will have successfully jumped the double hurtles of still life and floral. :clap: :clap:

Drumbeat-trish
06-15-2004, 12:32 AM
Finally got this finished - the brocady bits were just beyond me though so I got sloppy, and the knife well -I was mixing the paint under stupid bright light ( that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it) just glad to have it done -overall I am pretty pleased with it though
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2004/6194-breadrosec.jpg

lorna12
06-15-2004, 01:34 AM
Ohhh...just an excellent job on this Trish! I especially love the dusting of 'flour' on the bread. Looks good enough to eat! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

lisilk
06-15-2004, 01:39 AM
Finally got this finished - the brocady bits were just beyond me though so I got sloppy, and the knife well -I was mixing the paint under stupid bright light ( that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it) just glad to have it done -overall I am pretty pleased with it though
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2004/6194-breadrosec.jpg

I don't do still life's or flowers either..if I did them like this however, I probably would. The detail in the rose is beautiful but I agree, it's the glaze and dusting on the bread that makes it for me too. Beautiful finish ! :clap:

geminidream
06-15-2004, 02:00 AM
Trish, that rose looks awesome to me!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: I like it even not finnished it looks really pretty, I hope you do finnish I would love to see it finnished it will be just awesome. great job :clap: :clap: :clap: it is fun trying new things I did too this week. :D

geminidream
06-15-2004, 02:03 AM
ps sorry I didnt see the finnished one before i posted this and you know what I was right It is awesome wonderful awesome picture :D glad you finnished its beautiful :clap: :clap: :clap: gem :)

Europa
06-15-2004, 05:20 AM
(Totally ignoring the knife :evil: )

This is fabulous - I have to agree with everyone about the bread - you really have caught the 'crustiness' - wonderful!! :clap: :clap:

Pat

lisilk
06-15-2004, 05:40 AM
(Totally ignoring the knife :evil: ) Pat

A few tiny bits of highlights on that knife would finish this off beautifully. Just a smidgin' of light.... :evil:

Congrats...you are a still life painter !

Charlie's Mum
06-15-2004, 06:10 PM
Don't know how I missed this last week - sorry! - but that rose is gorgeous! :)