PDA

View Full Version : mirror, mirror on the..um.. van

dabblerdotjr
06-05-2004, 05:48 PM
This was after 1.5 hours with a pencil (one of those cool ones that is solid lead with the black coating that you peel back to sharpen and hope you dont jam yourself under your fingernail with...) on watercolour paper. it is 11X14 or something close to that. I also included the first step before I did the background. I was afraid I was going to mess up the whole thing by getting overzealous with the background. But, actually, I am pleased with the end result - not too busy, but adds context and doesnt leave the picture taker and mirror hanging out in space. The perspectives were challenging but fun. The selection of photos to choose from was wonderful!! thanks so much.

cmwynn
06-05-2004, 06:36 PM
Very good drawing. It could use a slightly darker background without distracting from the very complicated picture within a picture.
Connie

xreader
06-05-2004, 06:48 PM
Very nice drawing! :clap:

katju
06-05-2004, 06:50 PM
Very nice, DDjr. Nice to have you back so soon, too! Hope motherhood is treating you well. :)

Kathy

Drumbeat-trish
06-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Wow -you are brave -a new baby AND this !!!!!!!!!!! Way cool drawing -I like :D

purplelizard
06-05-2004, 09:35 PM
Cool drawing done from a cool photo! And good for you, getting back to your art, right after a baby!

Nice job! :clap:

pjo
06-05-2004, 09:39 PM
Very nice drawing, looking forward to seeing how you finish up the background on this. I liked this one also, but chickened out. Good for you.

theIsland
06-05-2004, 11:04 PM
I didn't think about how hard this would be to draw when I posted it. OMG, all those changing perspectives! You've worked wonders with it, though. I feel like I'm looking into a mirror... oh, wait, I am. :D

BTW, congrats on the new baby, and thank you for finding time to join us

theIsland
06-05-2004, 11:04 PM
I didn't think about how hard this would be to draw when I posted it. OMG, all those changing perspectives! You've worked wonders with it, though. I feel like I'm looking into a mirror... oh, wait, I am. :D

BTW, congrats on the new baby, and thank you for finding time to join us

prestonsega
06-06-2004, 12:15 AM
You folks with kids amaze me. How do you concentrate enough to do such good work while doing the parent thing?...I mean, even if your child is sleeping, (s)he is still foremost in your mind. .It's all I can do to take care of myself and still paint :confused: ..Nice work, and congrats on the "newbie".

Deano
06-06-2004, 12:25 AM
Very nice drawing, "Mom". You handled a though subject extremely well. :clap:

Chiers
06-06-2004, 12:53 AM
Great job on a difficult picture! :clap:

blondiedenise
06-06-2004, 01:24 AM
Nice job and congrats on the new baby! :clap: :clap:

Denise

dabblerdot
06-06-2004, 01:29 AM
Great to see you back, ddjr !! :) Looks like you gave the graphite a good workout today !! This is way too complex for me to consider doing in 2 hrs (never mind 1 1/2 !) although I think the photo is fantastic in its originality.
I liike how you had the courage to handle that detail so tightly ! This turned out really well and you have to be proud of it ! :clap: :clap:

lorna12
06-06-2004, 01:59 AM
When I saw this photo, I said no way jose!

You sure did a great job with all the different prespectives, holy cow....too complicated for me! :clap: :clap: :clap:

How's the baby doing?http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2004/11613-ma.gif

ams
06-06-2004, 08:24 AM
You did a great job with this. I didn't even consider tackling it. I like your light background. It gives the composition a complete feel without pulling the eye away from the mirror.

Anne

zardoz
06-06-2004, 08:36 AM
I had hoped some one would do this
when I saw it I thought , what a great pcture , but I don't have the guts to attempt it
great job

are you getting any sleep ? I seem to remember staying up a lot with new babies and I 'm not even the mother . don't know how you found time

Celia
06-06-2004, 09:26 AM
Great job with a difficult subject......... your perspectives and your mechanical drawings are really good....... not an easy task with the best of conditions, and with a new baby, WOW.........

celia

stoney
06-06-2004, 09:48 AM
When I saw this photo, I said no way jose!

You sure did a great job with all the different prespectives, holy cow....too complicated for me! :clap: :clap: :clap:

How's the baby doing?http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2004/11613-ma.gif

I said the same thing. She did a bang-up job on it. :clap: :clap:

FriendCarol
06-06-2004, 09:59 AM
Wow, you're good! This was an image I couldn't make out from the thumbnail and didn't expand. Very impressive work; I particularly like the left hand on that camera. ;)

Good thing you dated this, so you can show it to Baby when you want to explain what your life was like "back then." :evil:

Europa
06-06-2004, 11:01 AM
Great job on a very difficult subject - well done!! :clap:

Pat

hopefulbucky
06-06-2004, 04:27 PM
Jr., you did a great job on this, such detail but really really good. How's that little one? Can't believe you could find time even to participate. Good for you. Take some time mom for yourself. You sure did a good job on this.

dabblerdotjr
06-06-2004, 07:42 PM
Thanks all who commented.
Cmwynn: thanks for the advice on the background. The original is slightly darker than the photo but I see what you mean.

Mari (aka DDJr mini) is doing well. She is 3 weeks today. She slept through the whole drawing procedure. My in-laws are in town and are more than willing to hold her while I draw (in other words: I dont even get to hold my baby right now unless she needs feeding :) ). She is teaching me the 'art' of slowing down and enjoying little moments. So I actually have time for art now. strange oxymoron, I know. I will show off just this once, since you all are so nice to ask about her... I promise to post just art from here on in though....

stonewhiteclown
06-10-2004, 11:44 AM
Fine drawing! I also love things that are not quite straightforward :)
Mari is cutie, I tell you! Pure joy! Congrats! Thanks for sharing photo! But then, she looks exactly as on dabblerdot's drawing :)
Now you promise to post art? I recall you have one instance by dabblerdot - WDE effort - unposted :) Maybe you can scan it now?

Charlie's Mum
06-10-2004, 05:04 PM
Scrolling through this thread thinking "How come she's got the time?......", and "Would love to see Baby Mari" and lo and behold, that delightful pic pops up. She's gorgeous!!!!! No wonder the in-laws want to hold her all the time! :D
Ahem, back to the serious stuff! ;)
The drawing is great - such a difficult subject needing concentration I think. Well done! :) :clap: :clap: :clap: