PDA

View Full Version : lament, black ink on paper, 6x5 inches (15x13 cm) approx.

AmyH
09-22-2001, 10:23 PM
:p

ejfarrae
09-22-2001, 11:52 PM
i love the way you create emotional intrigue and tension with such a seemingly simple presentation. stark and powerful.

Impulse
09-22-2001, 11:55 PM
i asume that is a dead bird
around which the high ranking
tin can officer is doing circles?

"when in danger or in doubt
run in circles scream and shout!"

ArtyHelen
09-23-2001, 04:42 AM
So sad. :crying:

Helen

domsanto
09-23-2001, 05:55 AM
Hey! :D

Jan-Michael
09-23-2001, 07:36 AM
simple but effective... love what you captured in the face...

Cindy
09-23-2001, 10:49 AM
i know how he feels

I really am drawn to the idea of the circle; the circle of pain around death & the responsibilities of those left behind. The uncrowned (unenviable perhaps) position of the living in relation to their dead.

ZOTMA
09-23-2001, 01:58 PM
eloquent
perfect delivery
pedaling hard, going nowhere

HomelyHoodlum
09-23-2001, 03:17 PM
nice, rather see it done in blood. -Rick

jerryW
09-23-2001, 03:27 PM
a bloody hairy thing with neither!

mclaughlin
09-23-2001, 03:51 PM
Don't be depressed

jheinrich
09-23-2001, 04:18 PM
Lament
by Pablo Neruda

A man says: I suffered awful things in the street:
I walked without seeing, endured absence in presence,
extinction without being born, estrangement,
the hostile eyes of the bypasser.

The man keeps complaining:
that he hates the day-in-day-out of his work,
hates the sweat-for-your-dollar, that dreary vendetta,
the rich hate their gold clothing, the colonel, his sidearms,
the poor, their sore feet, the drummer, his heavy valises,
the waiter, the impeccable knot in his tie,
the teller, his cage, the gendarme his uniform,
the nun hates her convent, the green-grocer, his oranges,
the butcher, his meat, the druggist,
the smell of the pharmacy, the whore, her profession
--so says the man on the run
in the watery walks of his hatred, cramming
the streets with his footsteps,
rapid, insatiable, equivocal, bitter,
as if the world's weight pressed on his shoulders
its invisible hardware of losses.

Each bypasser says: see,
the brave man reneged on his bravery,
the beauty complained that her ankles were ugly,
the fireman hated the water that put out the fire--
till the city becomes one great gnashing of weeds in the ocean,
a suburban wringing of hands,
a seething morass in the waste of the sea
and no man knows he is weeping.

hi amy,

j*

AmyH
09-23-2001, 08:47 PM
ejfarrae, thank you.

impulse, yes it is a dead bird, the figure is more at a loss than anything else.

helen, yes it is sad.

dom, hey :D

jan M, thank you

Cindy, yes that is what I try to do, with most my work, realate to people with images that portray feelings we all have.

hey zotma, yep yep

rick, this was done pre wtc and pre blood drawings, it is a prelim for an oil, did it about two months ago. thanks

jerry, yeah I guess it is.

mclaughlin, trying not to be, I go up and down as most people do :), the bulk of my work has always dealt with the less than desirable human emotions. my signature used to read something to the effect of: without the means to abolish human despair we should not be denied the right to do what ever it takes to relieve us of that despair. that was heavily paraphrased, but you get the idea ;) nor should we stop speaking of, painting of, singing of it imo. :)

j* thanks for the poem(s), really nice

amy

cleo
09-24-2001, 02:51 AM
We (the world) will be ready for this next, week, month or
year.

As an artist, I don't wish to change anything!

I'll eat the monkey brain, the pig heart, the
dog testicle.

Was raised on wild game and can't see where
these items make any change!

cleo

AmyH
09-24-2001, 10:46 AM
far less than being ready, we will cope this week, month, year.

as an artist (utilizing art) you can't change anything. The news media (film footage of actual events) is the currnet "artistic" means of change. It's real, immediate, and void of personal vision. Like I have said before by the time an artist makes a "statement", most beliefs are formed by the viewer.

Making pictures, images, is a way of coping with living, the byproducts are a momentary, or nonexistant, effect on people. Mostly it defines the person making it, and is an inspiration to others making stuff (hopefully). Outside the realm of artists its pretty meaningless these days.

I'm sticking to yogurt and grapeNUTS ;)

amy

mame
09-24-2001, 04:50 PM
Wanted to add a thumbs up to dom deluxe's but this is was all they had. We need more descriptive little thingies. Hot stuff, girl.:D

Cabal
09-27-2001, 02:51 AM
your work reminds me of dave mckean's graphic work. you might look at the way he incorporates different mediums in minimal variations. i think having some kind of scenery from a page in a magazine or photograph pasted into the background of this image could create a depth and narrative that might be lacking otherwise.

then again the work looks just fine on it's own.

the more i see your work the more fond i become of it.. you have something here.

AmyH
09-27-2001, 10:17 AM
thanks mame, cabal.

Ladysue
09-28-2001, 09:49 AM
You're Back!!!!
Yaaaay!
So...., good one there!
So much dept in your work. Sometimes I wish you could do the happy emotions too just because your drawings are so powerfull, it could easily replace any type of depression medicine!
But the power wouldn't be the same I guess since the viewer brings a lot with him or her when viewing a piece...
Anyway,

One question, did you give up on experimenting with blood?
Hope you didn't. You know, deep down I wish I had the guts and talent to try it!

Oops, I said one question but there is another, will there be an oil painting of this?

AmyH
09-28-2001, 11:14 AM
suzie,

thanks for your enthusiasm lol. :)

to answer your questions; I was not experimenting with blood per se. I didnt think oil a suitable medium for what i wanted to convey re wtc. its different than thinking "I wonder what blood would do?" of course that was a curiosity (what would it be like to use it) but not the reason for the use of it. It just seemed "right". I may use it again, not sure.

This (and my other inks) are sketchbook pieces, and yes, meant as prelims for oil paintings, I took a turn again and am on another series (oil), so I am not sure if this will wind up a painting or not. I always follow what interests me at the time, no matter how redundant or different it may seem to others, in relation to what I have done. I would prefer not to be so easily swayed honestly, galleries prefer relative consistantcy, something I am getting closer to attaining naturally.

sorry to ramble on so.

amy

Mud Mixer Linda
09-29-2001, 04:44 AM
Amy, this doesn't need oils. It's perfect, just the way it is. It's the (I hate to use the word) childlike simplicity of the drawing that gives it such a punch. At first sight, you expect something cute, then it grabs you in the gut and wrenches your heart. This is powerful stuff. I love it.

iyoung
09-29-2001, 11:13 AM
This is just fine. Prefer it without the title, though, because the ambiguity of the expression on the face and the obscure ritual that seems to be taking place lends itself to many possible interpretations.

The line use is beautiful - it leads people to want to look then they're trapped, like in a spider web, into looking at something they didn't necessarily want to see. Beauty and style as delivery system. Like a Shirley Jackson story (y'know, she wrote The Lottery and others. Suburban mom who sees all/knows all/tells all.)

Why did you post this now if it's older? Did it work as well as an oil?

Ilene

AmyH
09-29-2001, 12:49 PM
linda,

not sure what you mean by doesnt need oils. I agree it doesnt need them, but its one of the ways I work. I do ink sketches, then paintings. the oils become a whole diff thing, with a different feel, but not any less than the ink, course I am biased lol.

thanks for taking the time to respond with your thoughts. :)

Ilene,

Lots of people prefer it (them) with out the title. its part of the piece, definatley changes it in regard to how open for interpretation it is.

not sure why you ask; why post it if its older. I did it a month or two ago. Was your interest "enjoyment" less so due to it not being my most current piece?

I post to show my work in hopes those who enjoy it, find it. I dont post to get advice as to where to go with it, what to do next with it. I am relatively old, and pretty much know what i want to do, how to do it etc. not to say things i miss (or dont think about) dont get pointed out, but they are generally not major things, or things I will change, like i am still going to do oils from my inks, despite that linda doesnt think its necessary :D, and I will still title my pieces, even though you and others voice disatifaction with that.

ahyhow blah blah blah

thanks for your comments, its nice to have dialouge and hear what you think. :)

amy

Mud Mixer Linda
10-01-2001, 01:28 PM
If you do an oil, please email me so I won't miss it.