PDA

View Full Version : Bread & Rose(s)

FriendCarol
06-05-2004, 05:24 PM
It looks a LOT better scanned than IRL. :D

Today I used the 90# Stonehenge paper and only my fan, 1" flat, & 1/2" W/N Regency angle shader brushes; applying W/N transparent yellow, Winsor red, gold ochre, a left-over mixed green and a left-over "dark" from last week's WDE. :rolleyes:
P.S. Forgot to mention the Winsor violet (in shadows). And that this is pretty small -- about 6" x 7.5"

I did this on my knees in front of the monitor, in between making biscuits (trans. for non-Americans: a bit like a scone without sugar), eating a couple hot with butter, then making chicken salad and having that with cold biscuits a couple hours later, washing dishes... you know, the usual. :)

xreader
06-05-2004, 06:18 PM
Very Nice elements to this. You have caught the texture in crust of the bread perfectly...The knife is is very well rendered. :D

Drumbeat-trish
06-05-2004, 06:47 PM
That bread looks good enough to eat :) I like this in wc - nice and loose -well done :) :clap: :clap: :clap:

cmwynn
06-05-2004, 09:08 PM
I like your choices of colors. The looseness is a bonus.
Connie

purplelizard
06-05-2004, 09:23 PM
Were you making biscuits before you decided to paint bread or did the bread painting inspire the baking? :D

And warm biscuits sounds very yummy right now!

Love your colors and the looseness - and the bread looks yummy!

theIsland
06-05-2004, 11:28 PM
Mmmmm... homemade biscuits.... butter, fresh clover honey....sigh. It's enough to make a low-carber like me salivate, then cry.
You're certainly the Queen of Multi-tasking on these WDES! You really nailed the look of the bread - maybe those biscuits were inspiring you?

Noma

prestonsega
06-05-2004, 11:37 PM
Now I'm hungry...I like your use of complimentary colors in this work. ....interesting graphic shapes breaking up the picture plane.

Deano
06-05-2004, 11:50 PM
I like the wet into wet look and great color choices.

Europa
06-06-2004, 04:34 AM
That bread is making me hungry.

Pat

FriendCarol
06-06-2004, 09:38 AM
Thanks, all, for the kind words! I think looking at the bread inspired the biscuits; also that I was hungry. Been so busy making sure online PC would be able to attend the WDE that I hadn't had breakfast!

Actually, I normally multitask because I have to, physically -- at least, in order to paint one picture for 2 hours on one day. That is, I can only sit on my kneeling chair 45 minutes at a time, on a good day. Kneeling in front of the monitor (when I have to reference a more intricate photo) is another thing I can only do for short periods.
So making biscuits was a quick sitting chore, then choosing photo was a lying-down chore (ahhhh), then eating was a quick sitting chore, then kneeling in front of monitor for quick sketch was kneeling, setting the first wash for wooden board was sitting, etc. Whenever I'm not lying down in front of my computer keyboard, whatever I'm doing is normally a whole list of tasks to be accomplished in short bouts of different postures. :)

Now that I have this draft painting for reference, I think I might do a better (more polished) one (sitting at my kneeling chair) over the course of this week. I can draw over this one with a pencil to show where the petals went wrong, in my hurry to finish it. Also, I should have extended the wooden board even further, I think, instead of having that purple/green background. Or at least the knife shouldn't have marked the boundary between them -- compositional no-no! :D

Celia
06-06-2004, 09:51 AM
I think that you did very well with a difficult subject in watercolor......... in fact, your painting is great......... I like the knife and the bread the best.......

celia

dabblerdot
06-06-2004, 10:19 PM
Re compositional "no-no". I just saw a painting by one of the Impressionists (?Pissarro (sp?)) and he put a single tall green tree (like Lombardy poplar)in the middle of the painting in a yellow field in a famous landscape- a thing I've been told is a compositional faux pas yet he did it, and got famous anyway! Thats a long winded way to say that due to the geometric shapes in your painting being such strong elements, that I feel the strong colours and separations are doggone fine ! And yes, like everybody else, the bread has me drooling. Imho I think the only thing I would even consider changing is the shadow within the rose petals- I think you have got a really nice painting here, especially with all the distractions/interruptions- busy girl !! :clap: :clap:

stonewhiteclown
06-09-2004, 06:56 AM
Hi Carol! I multitask too because I like to :)
Your bread looks very delicious! :clap: And who said it's a bad rose? I object, it is a good BUN! :D

Charlie's Mum
06-10-2004, 05:28 PM
Large and loose, with nice colours and I must have a 'smell-a-pic' key on my comp! This bread could go happily with all the tomatoes we've painted! :)
You're multi-tasking doesn't include palette washing then????????? ;)