PDA

View Full Version : WDE june 5 - TOMATOES

katju
06-05-2004, 04:57 PM
I have to confess right off that I have spent more than 2 hours on this. Like last week, I started out with w/c and switched to gouache which I am beginning to really, really like! I thought these tomatoes would be an easy 2 hour painting but I bit off more than I could chew in 2 hours. and looks like I will be chewing for a few more :D So, this is gouache on Arches 9x12.

Thanks, Noma, for super images. I saved a couple for the future. I love the pic of your kitty kat!

Kathy

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2004/37996-WDE_june_5_tomatoes.jpg

YYcat
06-05-2004, 05:12 PM
The tomatoes look very shiny to me. Lovely colors. Already beautiful :D .

anney
06-05-2004, 06:12 PM
I think these tomatoes were harder than I forecasted too... I had to spend a little more than two hours two...

I like how the background make the tomatoes pop.

Anne

cmwynn
06-05-2004, 06:16 PM
A lot of good things, but reds in watercolor are a major challenge.
Connie

katju
06-05-2004, 06:59 PM
A lot of good things, but reds in watercolor are a major challenge.
Connie

Yes, they certainly are.....hence the change in medium. :D

Drumbeat-trish
06-05-2004, 07:10 PM
Glowing colour -this is going to be terrific !!!!!!!!!! Um take another look at the front one on the left thats slightly split -eeeeerrrrrrr you know how you see faces or other things in pics ? ;)

katju
06-05-2004, 07:20 PM
Glowing colour -this is going to be terrific !!!!!!!!!! Um take another look at the front one on the left thats slightly split -eeeeerrrrrrr you know how you see faces or other things in pics ? ;)

hehe....I was thinking the same thing when I painted it. Should I change it??

Drumbeat-trish
06-05-2004, 07:24 PM
hehe....I was thinking the same thing when I painted it. Should I change it??
Nahhhhhh leave it -it adds interest and could be a cool conversation starter :D

katju
06-05-2004, 07:26 PM
OK.. It Kinda reminds me of Dabblerdot's rocks from last week where you could see all kinds of stuff in it. :D

theIsland
06-05-2004, 07:43 PM
LOL!!!! My hubby and I have been giggling about that tomato since I took the photo, two years ago. It was one of those unintentional goofs, but it was too good a reference photo to not use... but maybe I should have blurred certain parts of its anatomy. :)

Anyway, I'm loving this painting! Those background colors are the perfect choice to make those reds pop off the canvas. Your reds are very clean, and make those tomatoes look fresh and yummy. I'm glad I got to see a WIP on this one, because it's interesting to see some of your blue underpainting. Looking forward to the finish!

Noma

FriendCarol
06-05-2004, 07:57 PM
Shiniest tomatoes I've ever seen -- marvellous palette!

purplelizard
06-05-2004, 08:47 PM
(LOL) Katju, I,too, thought these would be an easy two hours! WRONG! I got more than I bargained for!

This is terrfic! Very light and airy! Happy to look at! :clap:

Dharma_bum
06-06-2004, 12:37 AM
Great tomatoes, gouache is the one medium I haven't tried yet, you sure handle it well. Look forward to seeing the complete work. BTW, don't you need that one icon on this one? lol

Dan

prestonsega
06-06-2004, 12:49 AM
You certainly captured the light...I need my sunglasses to view this beauty :cool: ....and leave the front tomatoe as it is.....In my mind, it's things like the naturally "malformed" tomatoe that makes the difference between just another pretty painting and a true work of art. :clap: (accolades to the photographer too!)

Deano
06-06-2004, 01:07 AM
Brilliant 'maters, Kathy. That bending over tomato might be reason to use the butt icon, as mentioned earlier, for protecting the unsuspecting innocent who might stray in. :eek:

lorna12
06-06-2004, 02:16 AM
Your tomatoes are growing very nicely! ;) Wonderful light and color in them.

Trish and Deano, you are too funny! (I was going to say, you crack me up, but thought better of it! ;) :D http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Jun-2004/11613-rofll.gif

ams
06-06-2004, 07:44 AM
Beautiful colors and a good job on the shadows. The tomatoes pop off the paper.

Anne

poochiesue
06-06-2004, 08:22 AM
Nice tomatoes kathy!!! That's one for the frig.
I was going to join in, but was busy chasing Charlie-boy around, and couldn't find my colored pencils.

zardoz
06-06-2004, 08:44 AM
I consider any one who cose the tomatoes a brave soul
you've done a great job with these
that shine looks like they just came off the vine

kewl now I'm a poet lol

Celia
06-06-2004, 09:16 AM
Great job on the shiny tomatoes........ please pass the salt........

celia

Europa
06-06-2004, 10:54 AM
Maybe its me but I cant see what you all mean with the tomato - oh well never mind - am sure it will occur to me sometime...lol.

Anyways - I think you have done a good job on them.

Pat

artbyjune
06-06-2004, 12:59 PM
Tomatoes have nice red cheeks. Oh the cheek of it.
Seriously, I love your tomato painting. Shiney. I too am finding gouache to be my favourite these days.

dabblerdot
06-07-2004, 02:51 AM
Gorgeous intense reds, and the background is really beautiful- a great way to set off the 'maters as you go along on this painting. :clap: :clap: The painting is terrific already and now there's 'spice' too !!! ;) Great thread !