PDA

View Full Version : Tourist With Pina Collada

allanom
09-22-2001, 10:07 PM
I worked as an art director in the art department of a vacation tour operator at one point in my checkered career and, as such, was required to sort through reams of photography of tourist destinations. This is a figure I found one day.. and saved for use at a later date. I made up the background and added the jet top right corner (a shot from the Toronto annual air show). This is one of a series of paintings I've done over the years showing folks in idylic settings unaware of a dark threat in the sky behind them (something psychological going on there, I guess...).

Oil on canvas, 40" x 30"

jerryW
09-22-2001, 10:54 PM
gross
the war plane kind of goes with the wacky pinaple bomber

ejfarrae
09-22-2001, 10:59 PM
the painting is of course fabulously executed with just the right amount of sarcasm and threat allan but your new signature quote is even better. spread the message...

allanom
09-22-2001, 11:19 PM
jerry: "gross": Thanks!!

ejfarrae: Thanks for the compliment on the work. And, yes.. let's get the word out on the issue of the "gross" overkill of the gas guzzling, pseudo-macho-canyon-climbing, global warming stupid-beyond-belief lovefest North America has with the SUV. I came up with my little epithet while driving around the damn behemoths on my way home from work at my "day job" yesterday.

ejfarrae
09-22-2001, 11:27 PM
rock on brother.

Impulse
09-22-2001, 11:53 PM
almost an ironic footnote to current events

well executed as always

another impressive work

allanom
09-23-2001, 12:02 AM
impulse: Thanks. And not just the dark airplane icon.. the loss of innocence is an over-riding theme.
As always, an astute observation from you. Much appreciated...

Amorphis
09-23-2001, 02:33 AM
It's hilarious! And done so well... how funny. I really like it.

aaasp
09-23-2001, 10:06 AM
The simplicity makes it. Wonderfully sinister. Not that it matters, but why did you cut off his feet?
Anthony

allanom
09-23-2001, 10:13 AM
Hi Anthony: I know cropping limbs / members is usually a no-no, however, in the interests of keeping this figure really forground / in the viewers face, I decided to crop his feet to root him in the very front of the picture frame. And I know that if you do crop hands or feet, you don't crop them at a joint, so I cropped them part way along. Thanks for taking a look at the piece!

Nathan Reed
09-23-2001, 10:42 AM
man oh man!:clap:

Cindy
09-23-2001, 10:55 AM
:D :D :D

I think it's GREAT!~!~

ZOTMA
09-23-2001, 02:04 PM
i particularly like the placement of the shadow/lighting
his shadow lurking directly behind him
like his shadow is part of the threat, like the problem is in him
and he's keeping that well hidden behind his indulgence

allanom
09-23-2001, 07:37 PM
Amorphis, Nathan & Cindy: Glad you appreciate my sense of humour!

ZOTMA: Nice little piece of psychological analysis. I never put too much thought into the symbolism of the shadow, but you've given it a nice little twist of meaning.

atont
09-23-2001, 07:42 PM
I think he looks like the "Rock" - after letting himself go. :D

I leave this post feeling pretty low now. But I still love my Jeep... I hope some day they can fit my jeep with an electric motor.