PDA

View Full Version : WDE June 5...Flower of Love

Deano
06-05-2004, 03:37 PM
Here it is at 2 hours. Acrylic on mat board, 8"x10". It's at the aaarrrrrrrrgh stage. Sure picked a harder subject ( for me) this time. This will likely be a slightly extended WIP, if I don't give up on it. Come on back and check it out later. Hey, Noma, those were some fantastic pics. Thanks for hosting! :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2004/34493-DSCN0392.JPG

theIsland
06-05-2004, 03:59 PM
My pleasure, Deano. It looks like you have a great start here. Very good drawing. I know you'll pull it past the "aaarrrrrrrrg" stage and grace us with another of your glowing creations! You'll feel a lot better once you start getting some color on that rose.

Noma

Ottersong
06-05-2004, 04:03 PM
Good start Deano, waiting for more anxiously. MArymc

ams
06-05-2004, 04:11 PM
This is a beautiful start. There is certainly enough here to know that it will turn out just as beautiful as all of your other projects have.

I'm looking forward to seeing it develop.

Anne

blondiedenise
06-05-2004, 04:32 PM
That's a wonderful start, Deano! :) I printed off that image as well...it's a great pic with TONS of detail! Please finish it so we can see it!! :clap: :clap:

Denise

Deano
06-05-2004, 04:37 PM
Thanks to all for the faith in me...I hope it's not misplaced this time. Well, my break is over. Time to wrestle a rose. :D

katju
06-05-2004, 05:00 PM
I'm with you....ARGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH....and so I kept painting past the 2 hour mark :evil:

Looks like you've got an excellent drawing to paint on top of. I WILL definitely check back to see it again. ;)

Kathy

YYcat
06-05-2004, 05:08 PM
The drawing already looks terrific. Very good. :clap:

anney
06-05-2004, 06:08 PM
I agree with what other people say, great start (drawing an background). I look forward seing the final result,

Anne

Drumbeat-trish
06-05-2004, 06:55 PM
Great start Deano -and yes we have faith in you ( no pressure of course ;) )

Deano
06-05-2004, 08:45 PM
Thanks to all for looking and the kind replies. Here it is again after another hour. I had company stop over which delayed my starting up again. But I didn't mind...they mowed my yard for me!!! :p Lol.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2004/34493-DSCN0394.JPG

purplelizard
06-05-2004, 09:08 PM
Deano, this is wonderful, even at the "unfinished" stage - I'm impressed!

can't wait to see another one of your incredible works when its done!

You can do it! No pressure, though! :clap:

cmwynn
06-05-2004, 09:34 PM
This is looking sooo good. The mottles background enhances it.
Connie

Deano
06-05-2004, 11:43 PM
I've done more to it...Whew, think I'll break for tonight. I should be able to continue tomorrow. I'm gonna check out as much of the great art for this WDE as I can before snoozing.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jun-2004/34493-DSCN0395.JPG

prestonsega
06-05-2004, 11:49 PM
You've certainly done a terrific job on a complicated subject....Flower painters are in the same arena as magicians....I don't understand how you do it, and its not because I haven't tried.....you obviously have the gift ( and untold hours of hard work and observation)

theIsland
06-05-2004, 11:50 PM
Oh, wow... now there's that great Deano light we're used to seeing! It's interesting to see your work in progress, but it's still like magic when you add the light. I mean, you don't paint... you illuminate. Amazing stuff.

Noma

Chiers
06-06-2004, 12:57 AM
Absolutely amazing!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: I feel like I opened this thread and watched a beautiful rose bloom, from start to finish. Well done!!

well, maybe not quite finished....

blondiedenise
06-06-2004, 01:06 AM
Deano-

I love it!! The sunshine glowing on the petals is fabulous! Can't wait to see it complete! :clap: :clap:

Denise

Deano
06-06-2004, 01:15 AM
Thanks to all for the encouragement. I'll try to finish this tomorrow if all goes well.

lorna12
06-06-2004, 01:15 AM
You sure are capturing the light on that beautiful flower!! I like it better even at this stage than the photo, and I thought that was awesome! I will be checking for updates. :clap:

Deano
06-06-2004, 01:21 AM
Hi, Lorna. I'm using Liquitex Glazing Medium on this. I couldn't get Golden's where I stopped. I really like it. Thanks for the tip! :D
Also, thanks for your kind words.

Dharma_bum
06-06-2004, 01:46 AM
This is comming along wonderfully, really interesting to see as a WIP, your peers faith in you is well justified.

Dan

ams
06-06-2004, 07:53 AM
This is coming along just as beautifully as I knew it would. I can't wait to see the final version. Everything you do is so special. :clap:

Anne

zardoz
06-06-2004, 08:26 AM
doesn't seem to be much that i can add
just wanted to say that this is amazing to me

Celia
06-06-2004, 09:38 AM
Deano...... this is absolutely gorgeous....... I kept a copy of that image for future reference also......... your application of color is really putting some depth into the flower....... I can see deep into the crnter of the bloom......... and the light and shadow play is outstanding........

celia

FriendCarol
06-06-2004, 09:49 AM
Lovely floral, really classic (and classy!) treatment! I'm glad I waited until today to see the progression unfolding. :cool:

Am I noticing a trend here? More of us attend the WDE, and more and more of us use the occasion to choose a tricky reference photo to work on over week(s) ahead, only posting preliminary work at the 2-hour mark? :D

Andrew Rance
06-06-2004, 09:58 AM
Looks like this is going to be spectacular - can't wait to see the end result!

Europa
06-06-2004, 10:58 AM
:clap: :clap:

Pat

Deano
06-06-2004, 11:37 AM
Am I noticing a trend here? More of us attend the WDE, and more and more of us use the occasion to choose a tricky reference photo to work on over week(s) ahead, only posting preliminary work at the 2-hour mark? :D

I think my previous ones were completed the same day. This time I knew the subject was more complex, and wanted to do something different for WDE...therefore this slower approach. :)

Thanks, Carol, for your kind words.

Deano
06-06-2004, 11:44 AM
A big "thank you" to one and all for your kind words and support. I'll try to complete this today. All the art for this week's WDE that I've had the pleasure to see so far has been outstanding. Thanks once again, Noma for the great selection. :clap:

dragonlady
06-06-2004, 11:59 AM
I love the way you've caught the light against the dark background, I'm with the the others - looking forward to seeing the finished painting.

artbyjune
06-06-2004, 01:02 PM
Its fascinating to see this painting as a WIP. You are producing a very lovely rose...labour of love. ;)

hopefulbucky
06-06-2004, 03:47 PM
Deano, your drawing is wonderful and I am sure you will be successful. You did pick something very difficult to do. Will check back later to see how you have done.

Ruth Grinstead
06-06-2004, 03:58 PM
WOW :clap: :clap:

Ruth

xreader
06-06-2004, 04:26 PM
Very delicate roses Deano... :clap: A grand achievement indeed. Looking foreward to the final. :D

dabblerdot
06-06-2004, 10:39 PM
This is so fresh and three-dimensional that you better pop it into a vase of water ! NO DON'T ! Just kidding about the water !! This has such glowing luminosity that I stand here in awe. (insert 'smilie' of 'stuck dumb" look) Deano, I think you should have an on-line tutorial for us on the magic of light ! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Deano
06-07-2004, 12:21 AM
Thank you all for your gratifying words...it means a lot. Well, I'm going to have to call this done. If I don't I'll still be painting it in December. Lol. The more I looked at Noma's picture, the more I saw. I couldn't paint today until late. Sorry it took so long, but it was fun. :D :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Jun-2004/34493-DSCN0396.JPG

Chiers
06-07-2004, 12:47 AM
Absolutely beautiful. :clap: :clap: :clap: Your finish certainly didn't disapoint.

Freedom's poet
06-07-2004, 01:12 AM
This is so beautiful Deano. :clap: I loved being able to see the progression of your painting. The play of light on the petals is wonderful and the petals are so delicate looking. Awesome painting!!

Susan

Deano
06-07-2004, 02:24 AM
Thanks for looking, Susan and Chiers. And thanks for your thoughtful comments. :D

dragonlady
06-07-2004, 05:10 AM
I can only reapeat what Susan and Chiers said. It is beautiful and I love the way you have caught the light on the petals. :clap: :clap: :clap:

YYcat
06-07-2004, 04:12 PM
it was, it is, it stays a beautiful rose, It's like I see one real in my garden. :D :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Grainne
06-07-2004, 11:37 PM
Although I don't usually comment in the WDE forum (faithful lurker though), I just had to comment on your painting. This rose is stunning; its loveliness is quite breathtaking. I just want to drink it in.

I imagine that you loved working on it :)

Grainne

Deano
06-08-2004, 01:21 AM
Although I don't usually comment in the WDE forum (faithful lurker though), I just had to comment on your painting. This rose is stunning; its loveliness is quite breathtaking. I just want to drink it in.

I imagine that you loved working on it :)

Grainne

Thank you, Grainne, for stopping and saying such nice things. Yes I had a great time with it even though it kept me painting more and more detail and nuances that I didn't even realize were there at first.

Deano
06-08-2004, 01:28 AM
Thanks, Joy and Joanna.

Celia
06-08-2004, 04:41 AM
Deano....... your finished piece is exquisite....... very beautifully done......... you can be proud of this one, my friend....... hang it in a place of prominence..........and you can be assured....... it really deserves it.......

celia

Charlie's Mum
06-08-2004, 06:57 AM
This is so fresh and three-dimensional ........This has such glowing luminosity that I stand here in awe. (insert 'smilie' of 'stuck dumb" look) Deano, I think you should have an on-line tutorial for us on the magic of light ! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I must agree with Dd! Aready 46 posts before I get to comment - and everyone has forestalled me!!!!!!
The quality of light you have achieved here even surpasses your other work (if that's possible)!
I'd like to download and use it as my desktop picture so I see it every time I switch on - so if your permission is forthcoming?........
10 gold stars and an infinite number of clappies! :D :clap: :clap: :clap: ~

And that tutorial would be a must for me as well!

Deano
06-08-2004, 10:32 AM
Deano....... your finished piece is exquisite....... very beautifully done......... you can be proud of this one, my friend....... hang it in a place of prominence..........and you can be assured....... it really deserves it.......

celia

Thank you so much, Celia. Your kind words lift my spirits.

stonewhiteclown
06-09-2004, 08:04 AM
What a delicate creation looking at me from your painting, Deano! :clap:
Kudos to you not to rush it from the start. That for sure let more thought into process :D And allowed such beauty to emerge. On the other hand, whatever you do, result is always good, to say the least ;)

lorna12
06-09-2004, 09:07 AM
Ahh Deano....what can I say that hasn't already been said? This is my favorite painting of yours that I've seen to date! That background really makes the flower come forward almost right out of the picture...I think I can smell it from here! Absolutely stunning! So exquisite.

Nevermind the clappies...this deserves a standing ovation!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2004/11613-Junes_animations_011.gif

purplelizard
06-09-2004, 06:23 PM
Breathtaking! I know that early on you weren't happy with how it was going, but WOW - its gorgeous! The light is amazing! Its a "keeper"! :D :clap:

Deano
06-10-2004, 01:13 AM
Alex, Lorna, and Kristen:
Thank you for stopping back to check, and for the kind supportive words :D .

theIsland
06-12-2004, 10:46 AM
Again, WOW. Maybe this will tell you how much I like this painting:

I hate paintings of pink roses. HATE them. Every year, I buy my mother birthday and Mother's Day cards with pink roses on them, because they're her favorite thing. I see so many ugly renditions of pink roses while browsing through the greeting card racks. Ugh.

Your painting is about the light. I like the light so much, I don't even notice that's it's a painting of pink roses. WOW. This was one of the photos I posted with you in mind, and you have exceeded even my high expectations.

(So if I hate pink roses so much, why did I photograph them? Our new house came with over 50 roses... and almost every one of them is pink. It's a pastel nightmare for someone like me.)

Noma

Deano
06-12-2004, 11:42 AM
(So if I hate pink roses so much, why did I photograph them? Our new house came with over 50 roses... and almost every one of them is pink. It's a pastel nightmare for someone like me.)

Noma

That is so funny(Lol :D :D ). This could have two outcomes: you'll either get so sick and tired of them that you dig them up and dispose of all that pink, or you'll start doing acrylic paintings of them in your strong vibrant style (which I love so much) and be hooked on pink roses. Seriously though, the roses are a close source of subject matter...challenging too, since you don't like pink ones. IMHO you should do a small series of them. I'd love to see the results.
Thanks for the very kind comments on my painting...they inspire me to " push the envelope". :D