PDA

View Full Version : WDE 6-5 George the Seagull

ams
06-05-2004, 02:39 PM
Wow, I actually finished on time this week! The earlier time worked out better for me.

This is colored pencil on Stonehenge (5" x 7" ). I decided to try colored pencil this time. The last time I used colored pencil was a couple of years ago and I wasn't pleased with the results but it wasn't on good paper. I decided to try them again now that I have some Stonehenge. The results were much better!

I think the eye may be drawn to the log rather than the seagull. That has been my problem before. I guess I like to draw wood. :) I'm not sure what could be done to the seagull to bring it out. I'm open to suggestions. Any other C&C also welcome.

Anne

Europa
06-05-2004, 02:57 PM
Anne I love the freshness of this - and you can tell you like to paint wood....lol....well done!!! :clap:

Pat

katju
06-05-2004, 03:01 PM
George is so cute! When you said Stonehenge paper, that reminded me of Anne Kullberg... Do you have her book? She's great. The only "real" workshop I've taken was with her. Unfortunately, I don't have the patience to do cp like she does but it's a wonderful medium for those who like to work slowly :D

You accomplished a lot and did a great job in 2 hours! Super :clap:
Kathy

theIsland
06-05-2004, 03:03 PM
Yep, that's ol' George, begging for food! Beautiful interpretation! I love the delicate colors in this. It would be hard not to draw the eye to the wood, because that's how the the photo was, too. In fact I've thought about painting it without the bird, because I really like that end grain.

Noma

ams
06-05-2004, 03:06 PM
Thanks for your comments, Europa and Katju.

Katju, I do have Anne Kullberg's portrait book and that is where I first learned about Stonehenge but I had a little trouble finding it. It must have been really exciting to take a workshop with her.

Most of the cp books tend towards photo realism and hours and hours when working with cp. I like a looser style. That is one reason I started experimenting with the Neocolor crayons for the past couple of months. You have to loosen up when you work with them! I would like to try and apply a similar style to cp.

Anne

pjo
06-05-2004, 03:25 PM
What a cute fellow. I like the look on his face, good job on the background also.

anney
06-05-2004, 06:07 PM
Hello,

Congratulations, you managed to work within two hours with CP, and with a nice result.

Anne

cmwynn
06-05-2004, 06:24 PM
He has real personality. I think he would pop out more if the background right around him were darker. The light colors tend to run together.
Connie

Drumbeat-trish
06-05-2004, 06:37 PM
awwwwww George looks ever so cute !!!!!! Great job on him and the wood :)

purplelizard
06-05-2004, 09:38 PM
Great work from a funny photo - this bird caught my eye to do another day - when I have more than two hours! :p

Isn't it funny how our "loves" always show - I noticed the wood before I read your post about loving to do it. It shows. and the grass is has a nice texture - and bird is just too cute!

good job! :clap:

dragonlady
06-06-2004, 12:27 PM
You have much more patience than I do to use coloured pencils and you accomplished a lot in 2 hours. The wood looks as if it's popping out from the picture plane. We have both had the same result with the wood becoming the focal point instead of the bird - probably due to the higher value contrast and detail in the wood than the bird, it was difficult to get that sort of contrast and detail into the bird.

artbyjune
06-06-2004, 12:52 PM
You've given George lots of expression. He looks ready to fly off looking for food, or is he eyeing up the neighbours. :cool:

xreader
06-06-2004, 04:38 PM
Really like your treatment of the focal point...and the softness of the background helps George to stand out a bit. :D Cudos for finishing on time.

ams
06-06-2004, 05:13 PM
Thanks for all of the comments. I really appreciate them.

I darkened the background a little to increase the value contrast between George and the background. I think George stands out a little better now.

Anne

Deano
06-07-2004, 01:52 AM
Yep, that brought him out a notch. Very nice job in CP. Ol' George has loads of personality. :clap: :clap:

dragonlady
06-07-2004, 01:55 PM
That's just what it needed. Well done.