PDA

View Full Version : -=- WDE June 5 IMAGES HERE! -=-

theIsland
06-05-2004, 11:24 AM
Welcome to the June 5, 2004 Weekend Drawing Event! Thanks for coming, and I hope you'll have fun.

This weekend's theme is "light, shadow, pattern." When I'm taking photos for reference, I try to find choose scenes where at least one of those elements is strong. It makes it easier for me as a painter to find where my emphasis will be when I begin to work. I've tried to stick to the theme here, but I will admit that some of the photos are posted for the sake of diversity. :)

To recap the the "rules":

1. You have 30 minutes to choose your image, and prepare to work.
2. You have 2 hours to work on your project.
3. Post your image at the end of 2 hours to this forum. It doesn't matter if it's finished or not - you can always post an update after you work more on it. When you post, start a new thread, with "WDE," today's date, and your title in the subject line. Include the medium and support used, the size of the piece, and any other relevant info. Tell us how you created your painting or drawing, problems you encountered, things you learned, etc.
4. View and comment on the other artists' work. Keep it positive, unless the artist specifically requests a critique.
5. Above all, HAVE FUN! Doing a finished piece in only two hours is quite a challenge for most artists. If you're new to this, don't be discouraged - you will be amazed at how much your speed and skill will increase with practice!

Remember, this is a weekend art event, so you may start and post any time you can!

If you'd like a larger image than I can post here, you can find them on the following website:
http://www.iconographix.com

Please refrain from posting to this thread until I get all thirty images posted. :)

Here we go:

1-5 of 30
1. Freshly picked cherries.
2. Home-grown tomatoes.
3. A bottle of the new Cline Red Truck wine (great label, good wine!), with a cabernet sauvignon grape vine.
4. Fresh bread and a red rose.
5. “Objects in mirror.” That's me, taking photos for this week's WDE.

theIsland
06-05-2004, 11:27 AM
6-10 of 30

6. Architectural juxtapositions: The building in the background is the Indianapolis Art Center, designed by noted architect Michael Graves. This was taken at this year’s Broad Ripple Art Fair as an approaching storm forced artists to pack up early.
7. Tents billowing in the wind at the Broad Ripple Art Fair as the storm approaches.
8. A liquor store near Indianapolis Motor Speedway, the day before the Indianapolis 500.
9. Roses in our backyard.
10. Pink flowers in our front yard, with the early morning light shining through them. Extra credit for anyone who can tell me what these are!

theIsland
06-05-2004, 11:29 AM
11-15 of 30

11. Green resin chair on our porch.
12. A neighbor’s brick garden wall.
13. A tree leaning over the canal in Indianapolis. I didn’t notice the mushroom in the lower left corner until I had the photo on the computer screen.
14. Clouds.
15. A vignette of our back yard, a peaceful place to sit and share a glass of wine. As seen through a “hallway” of overhanging honeysuckle, which divides the middle yard from the back yard.

theIsland
06-05-2004, 11:31 AM
16-20 of 30

16. A bridge at Holcombe Gardens, on the campus of Butler University in Indianapolis, Indiana. When we lived four blocks from campus, we’d ride our bikes over to listen to carillon concerts here.
17. Reamus, our Chow/Shar Pei mix. He’s just one big wrinkly cuddly fur ball.
18. Toophey, our cat. She’s part Birman. I fostered her from the time she was 20 hours old. She’s ten now.
19. A Thoroughbred stallion named Solar City.
20. Pasture pals. A Thoroughbred youngster frolics with his pal, a young mule. This was a twisted equine family: The Thoroughbred’s mother died at birth, so a Belgian nurse mare and her mule foal were brought in to serve as his surrogate family.

theIsland
06-05-2004, 11:34 AM
21-25 of 30

21. George, The Bird. A seagull who is not a pet, but he thinks he is.
22. Duncan’s Cove, on Hwy. 1 in California. A morning view from the deck of Spraydrift, a small house dangling from a cliff on the Sonoma coast, a few miles north of Bodega Bay. (The setting for Hitchcock’s “The Birds.”) My husband and I spent our honeymoon there, and have gone back every year since. Sadly, our reservation this year was cancelled, because the house is on the market.
23. Rock cliff face on the beach below Spraydrift.
24. Wave and rock at sunset, as seen from the deck.
25. Waves crashing on the rocks below the house. That’s Duncan’s Point in the background.

theIsland
06-05-2004, 11:37 AM
26-30 of 30

26. Boat at Bodega Bay.
27. The view from the tip of Duncan’s Point. The rust-colored stuff is ice plant. When it blooms, it’s a carpet of fuchsia.
28. My husband, tying back his hair in the wind on Duncan’s Point. This is looking south back toward Bodega Head. The Point is a popular spot for plein air painters, especially early in the morning.
29. An empty theatre fills with opera fans. This is Clowes Hall, a 2400 seat theatre at Butler University in Indianapolis. I’ve done a few paintings of this place.
30. Ballet dress rehearsal. Don Quixote, if I remember correctly. Sorry it’s a bit blurry.

Whew! I'm done! Have fun. :)

Noma

Khadres
06-05-2004, 11:38 AM
6-10 of 30

6. Architectural juxtapositions: The building in the background is the Indianapolis Art Center, designed by noted architect Michael Graves. This was taken at this year’s Broad Ripple Art Fair as an approaching storm forced artists to pack up early.
7. Tents billowing in the wind at the Broad Ripple Art Fair as the storm approaches.
8. A liquor store near Indianapolis Motor Speedway, the day before the Indianapolis 500.
9. Roses in our backyard.
10. Pink flowers in our front yard, with the early morning light shining through them. Extra credit for anyone who can tell me what these are!
Primroses! :D Sometimes known as buttercups, too.

theIsland
06-05-2004, 11:58 AM
Primroses? Thank you!!! Now that you mention it, it does remind me of the desert primrose I've seen in California. I'm new to gardening in the midwest, and we bought a property last winter which is now covered in perennials and roses I can't identify. Now I'll know how to take care of our new primroses. :)

Please take your place at the head of the class. :)

Chiers
06-05-2004, 12:19 PM
Noma what fantastic pictures you give us! I have saved several of them but have some chores to do this morning so won' be able to get to painting until later today or possibly tomarrow depending on whether or not my daughter comes over today. Weekends are the only time we get to visit.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to do this for us! :clap:

FriendCarol
06-05-2004, 12:28 PM
What lovely images! I picked 4 very quickly, and have to make this brief so I can log off safely (and hope to return to post this afternoon). Just wanted to thank you, though, for being our host this weekend.

I'm so excited! (I LOVE the bread and rose image, and suspect that's the one I'll pick.) :clap:

Khadres
06-05-2004, 12:30 PM
Primroses? Thank you!!! Now that you mention it, it does remind me of the desert primrose I've seen in California. I'm new to gardening in the midwest, and we bought a property last winter which is now covered in perennials and roses I can't identify. Now I'll know how to take care of our new primroses. :)

Please take your place at the head of the class. :)

Now if I can just pick which image to work on! I'll be late getting to it due to household stuff, but I do want to try this! Thanks for the images!

pjo
06-05-2004, 12:31 PM
Beautiful photos, its so nice to see your pets, and garden. I'm not sure which ones I'll paint, but am looking forward to it. Thank you for your time in putting these together.

gr8pets
06-05-2004, 12:40 PM
Ohh, such lovely pics to choose from! I have company in this weekend to celebrate my son's third birthday...So I probably will finish late. But I definitely plan to do at least one of these pics! Thanks!!!

Christi

Charlie's Mum
06-05-2004, 12:49 PM
What a fantastic set of photos Noma - I'll really be hard-pushed to select any never mind one! You've chosen beautifully constructed pics with a wealth of interest and ready-made compositions - a huge thank you! :clap: :clap:

BTW Sooz, those flowers are nothing like English primroses - more like a campanular! Guess we just have different flora altogether! :D

purplelizard
06-05-2004, 01:21 PM
HOLY ----! HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO PICK?? These are fantastic! :clap:

I plan to participate, probably later today - tomatoes look yummy, wine bottle, um, beach scenes always make me happy to draw.....skyscapes, omigosh, I'm on overload.

Off to a my daughter's concert - Thank you again for your fabulous efforts! :D

Kristen

anney
06-05-2004, 01:25 PM
Thank you very much for all the photos. I'll probably go for the tomatoes, but after dinner... see you later.

Anne

sundiver
06-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Gorgeous, gorgeous photographs, Noma!
Unfortunately, I have no internet at home. :crying: I'm at Hubby's office for an hour, sharing his 'puter with our daughter. I'll save a couple to a floppy so I can do them at home looking on the laptop (not connected to net), but don't know when I can get the result uploaded or see all your paintings (well, Monday for sure at work :) )
Have a fun event!

Drumbeat-trish
06-05-2004, 02:09 PM
Just woke up here -and what a wonderful array of images to wake to :) Having another cup o coffee before I decide and get organised. You have done us proud Noma -these are awesome :D

MKathleen
06-05-2004, 02:11 PM
:D [[[[[[[[[[Noma]]]]]]]]]]]]]]Your images are terrific, now to chose which one to paint. :eek:
Thank you for Hosting this weekends WDE! :clap: :clap: :clap:

lorna12
06-05-2004, 02:26 PM
Incredible photos, Noma! Really hard decision which one to do!

I'm late getting started today and for some reason had a terrible time getting this pics to come up....refreshed so many times I lost count :confused: Oh well they are here now and I'm off to decide! See you in a couple of hours.

prestonsega
06-05-2004, 02:45 PM
Nice selection of pics....good variety..something for everyone......mine jumped off the screen at me instantly...( does that mean I can add the remaining of my selection time to work time....lol :evil: ) Seriously...you have obviously put a great deal of work into this week's WDE... We appreciate you!

ams
06-05-2004, 02:54 PM
These images are terrific. They are all crisp and easy to see. It did make it VERY difficult to decide though.

Thank you for hosting such a wonderful WDE.

Anne

Mikki Petersen
06-05-2004, 03:08 PM
Wonderful group of photos...crisp, clear and a delightful array of subjects. Thank you.

YYcat
06-05-2004, 03:18 PM
Oh Noma, there are beautiful pictures, just checked in, it's hard to choose.
See if I am able to fix someting within 2 hours. wow :) :D :clap:

stoney
06-05-2004, 04:03 PM
OOOoooooooooooooooooo....decisions decisions....several to choose from. :)

blondiedenise
06-05-2004, 04:07 PM
Noma-

Beautiful, beautiful photos!! :D So much to choose from...I printed off several... like to try all that I've printed, don't have time today...hopefully I can tomorrow, even if it's just for me :)

Thanks again!

Denise

blondiedenise
06-05-2004, 04:26 PM
I just went back through the photos and postings again and saw the link to the larger images. THANK YOU!! The detail is incredible!! I just printed off some more images and reprinted some I already printed. Amazing pics!! The larger images really make a difference.

Denise

Tip I learned from my cp instructor (you all probably already know this... :) )--printing images off onto glossy photo paper shows more detail.

lisilk
06-05-2004, 04:40 PM
Yikes ! You made it hard for me to host next week ! Can I just repost your images ??? LOL.

FANTASTIC selection ! Thanks for hosting ! :clap: :clap:

I'm working today, will try to do mine tonight.

Cheers,

Shelley Grund
06-05-2004, 07:32 PM
Just an amazing variety of images you offer us! All beautifully photographed and composed. All screaming to be painted. Simply wonderful. I'll try to get something done tomorrow!

Yokovich
06-05-2004, 10:19 PM
island---these are heart stoppers!!! I can't work on anything right now but I will be back tomorrow--I do believe I am going to save all of these!! gorgeous stuff--!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Freedom's poet
06-05-2004, 11:42 PM
Thank you for posting these awesome photos Noma!! I have saved quite a few to try to paint at a later time. I am so lovng this site!!

Susan

Ottersong
06-06-2004, 06:58 PM
Noma, the pix are lovely this week, I was planning on doing the WED today but my studio is FLOODED , the water dept. is nere trying to find the leak under our house or possibly the neighbors house. the water is still coming in at the rate of 5 gal every 2 minutes in the sump pump. the carpet and everything that was on it, matts, paper, frames etc is soaked and is now laying around on the tables with the fan blowing on it to dry it out. There are some pix of the studio before the flood on the watercolor forum if you want to look at the mess,lol. It is going to take some time to clean and dry it out when the flood is stopped so don't know whe I will get to the WED. Maybe I can get to my pencils and do a graphite of the rocks.

Marymc

hopefulbucky
06-06-2004, 09:01 PM
Noma, just wanted to express again a huge thank you for all your efforts in hosting this week. Your photos were wonderful and offered exactly what you said they would, shadows, shapes, textures and color. Marvelous.