PDA

View Full Version : WDE May 29:Gladiator, fatally wounded but unbowed!

Charlie's Mum
06-04-2004, 12:16 PM
First chance I've had this week to draw but didn't want to let Stoney's pics pass me by!
Oil pastels on Ingres, approx 21x25cms (riughly 8x10ins) - I'm persevering with them and liking them more!
I know it's extremely late but hope some of the regulars are looking in! :)
EDIT: The scan has come out much darker than RL - I'll see if I can alter it!

Celia
06-04-2004, 01:00 PM
Bravo.... :clap: :clap: :clap: .... Very nicely done....... the hollow tree is wonderful, and the pines are terrific......... I would say that you've nailed this one........ I especially like the shredded wood on the ground around the hollow tree....... just the way it is in nature.........

celia

Drumbeat-trish
06-04-2004, 01:44 PM
beautifully done !!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

dabblerdot
06-04-2004, 02:17 PM
Late, shmate ! No such thing as too late if next weeks photo's aren't posted yet :D :D :)
Wow, this tured out just beautifully ! I can see why the OP's are beginning to charm you- you've managed such lovely colours and delicate shading- gorgeous !! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I tried a second project this WDE, to try to get over my fear and loathing of OP's. I'm quite pleased that after wrestling each other to a death grip on the floor, shaking and tired, a painting happened. I lack the finesse you have achieved, but seeing how lovely the more subtle approach worked for you, gives me courage to keep trying. Thanks, Maureen !!!

flawless_bone
06-04-2004, 04:14 PM
:clap: AAhhhh nice one! I love the white lines in the lower half, I can see your hand dancing when you did it!

Charlie's Mum
06-04-2004, 04:56 PM
Many, many thanks friends!
Celia and Flawless - glad you could see the 'dead wood' scattered about a bit! - it's quite difficult laying fine , light bits on top of heavier colour, but I'm learning!
Dd - you sly one :p - what subtlety? what finesse? didn't know I'd achieved any - just continuing my battles and determined to 'get the better' of these ops!!!!!!
Thank you D/trish! :)
I've tried another scan to see if the colour is any more like the 'proper' version, so here 'tis. :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2004/30494-Gladiator2.jpg

Yep, the colour is nearer the original, so sorry Dd, does this mean the subtlety is lost???? ;)

ams
06-04-2004, 05:37 PM
Beautiful job. You are really getting the hang of the op's. The painting seems so alive with color. It gives a wonderful feeling. :clap:

Anne

Deano
06-04-2004, 05:38 PM
From the background to the forground...love it all. I can see you're really having fun with those OPs. Like the use of white on the ol' tree. :clap: :clap:

stonewhiteclown
06-04-2004, 06:18 PM
I agree, you've nailed it! And whatever you say, there is subtlety here, especially as you rescanned it :p Love the colours in those remains! :clap::clap::clap:

lisilk
06-04-2004, 07:38 PM
Beautiful job ! You've created some great color and textures with those OP's !

dabblerdotjr
06-04-2004, 09:16 PM
I love the background trees especially. Reminds me of the forests I have worked in in warmer climates for some reason. I havent actually seen the photo you did this from but love your results all the same...

dabblerdot
06-04-2004, 11:25 PM
Maureen, you have created yourself something of an artistic bit of magic here... what a lovely painting it still remains in it's truer colours ! Definately the subtle deliciousness continues to be present. Hey, you could say they are a pair of studies- calling one "Twilight" and the other "Sunrise" :D Seriously, I love the use of the mauves in the trees shadows, and all the other colours complement each other beautifully. Way to go !! :clap: :clap:
And hey ! I give you another :clap: for the great title !!

stoney
06-05-2004, 12:48 AM
First chance I've had this week to draw but didn't want to let Stoney's pics pass me by!
Oil pastels on Ingres, approx 21x25cms (riughly 8x10ins) - I'm persevering with them and liking them more!
I know it's extremely late but hope some of the regulars are looking in! :)
EDIT: The scan has come out much darker than RL - I'll see if I can alter it!

Oh, they won't pass you by....they're polite enough to stop and wait for you. :D

Appropriate title for the fantastic work you've done. The main opening looks like a gaping wound and the blood gushed into a pool and then trickled down the trunk. :clap: :clap: :clap:

bluepellinore
06-05-2004, 12:20 PM
Beautiful job! :clap:

Charlie's Mum
06-05-2004, 12:34 PM
I cannot thank you enough for the fantastic response to my efforts! Your praise is too fulsome - really!!!! I'm blushing to the roots of my once-red hair!!!!
Ta ever so much - see you all later :D

lorna12
06-05-2004, 02:32 PM
It's beautiful Maureen...wonderful job with the ops...I'm still trying to learn them....but you really seem to have them down pat!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Charlie's Mum
06-05-2004, 05:24 PM
Thank you Lorna - yes, I feel happier with them each try, so I guess I'll keep them! Looking forward to seeing your OP work - it will be good! :)