PDA

View Full Version : late WDE May29 Man in a cramped situation

flawless_bone
06-03-2004, 04:49 PM
WIP, 60*70cm (IŽll get a desktop converter tool) acrylic on canvas, something more than one hour. C+C welcome! Stoney, your pictures are inspiring to me...want to paint them all!

xreader
06-03-2004, 06:24 PM
I like your subtle colors, and then the sharp contrast between the white towel and purple shirt. :) All in all a very fine painting, IMHO. :clap: :clap:

dabblerdot
06-03-2004, 07:26 PM
I really like how the focus sharpens toward the point of interest. Intriguing colours as well. This has turned out very well ! :clap: I can't tell if it's really loosely painted acrylic or oil, or if it's dig manipulation (they're getting so good now !) Can you please clarify what medium ? Thanks !

Yokovich
06-03-2004, 09:59 PM
wow I LOVE this!!! very mysterious!!!I can see this hanging in a gallery--do a series!! I would call it all hands on deck!! great work!!

stoney
06-04-2004, 10:28 AM
WIP, 60*70cm (IŽll get a desktop converter tool) acrylic on canvas, something more than one hour. C+C welcome! Stoney, your pictures are inspiring to me...want to paint them all!

Nicely done. :) And Thank you for the comment.
If that pic was taken when a sub was in dock the submarine's hull was about 1.5 metres above Bill's head.

/sidenote
That cramped situation was the 'Penthouse Suite' compared to warships.

Charlie's Mum
06-04-2004, 04:21 PM
Gosh! What a huge painting for 2 hrs - you obviously work quickly!
I love the 'simplicity' of your approach to painting - and the colours - and the way you 'break up' the large, flat areas. Nice one! :) :clap: :clap: :clap:

flawless_bone
06-05-2004, 02:11 PM
xreader,celestia, mum, dabblerdot thank you! dabblerdot, as I mentioned before :cool: it is acrylic on canvas. Stoney, thank you for the infos, I love those storyline details. A stupid question ... do you know the guy, is it Bill, or does Bill mean "this dude"? Hmmm and it is not on a submarine but on the docks? :( :)

stonewhiteclown
06-05-2004, 02:57 PM
Cannot say much more than already said. You did great! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I'm glad you tackled this one. I felt bad that no one took people subject on Stoney's WDE.

stoney
06-05-2004, 03:25 PM
xreader,celestia, mum, dabblerdot thank you! dabblerdot, as I mentioned before :cool: it is acrylic on canvas. Stoney, thank you for the infos, I love those storyline details. A stupid question ... do you know the guy, is it Bill, or does Bill mean "this dude"? Hmmm and it is not on a submarine but on the docks? :( :)

You're very welcome :) Such, imo, tends to bring life to the image seen.
The man's first name was Bill. The picture was taken on a floating submarine dry dock in Scotland. (www.holyloch.com)

The only stupid question is the one not asked.

To the right of his rack you can see part of my rack. Outside the door was a ladder and hatchway going out into the basin. Out the door and to the left was a passageway leading to the head (WC and shower). Out the door and to the right a passageway took you to a circular stairwell through the ballast tanks and coming out atop the 50 foot tall wingwalls. Out the door and immediately right was an opening with a ladder down to an engine room.

Out and up the ladder and hatch you'd be on the basin of the floating submarine dry dock. Fore and aft you'd see the cradle the submarine would be supported by while in dock. The ship was built in 1945 and was being towed to the Pacific when WWII ended. The ship was the shape of the letter 'U.' The verticals would be the wingwalls while a line about halfway down the verticals, and across would be the basin. From that imaginary horizontal line halfway down and below would be; mess deck, berthing areas and shops-Section A, B, C, and D, repectively. Below each section deck would
be ; engines, generators, water tanks, pumps, and all sorts of machinery.

A submarine is even more cramped than a warship. Crews quarters here were pure luxury in comparison to both.

stoney
06-05-2004, 03:28 PM
Cannot say much more than already said. You did great! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I'm glad you tackled this one. I felt bad that no one took people subject on Stoney's WDE.

No reason to feel bad, Alex. There was a lot to select from. People enjoyed the photos. :)

stonewhiteclown
06-05-2004, 03:42 PM
No reason to feel bad, Alex. There was a lot to select from. People enjoyed the photos. :)

Yes, seems to be true. Interesting though, what would they paint if aspen trees with clover creek were banned :evil:

Drumbeat-trish
06-05-2004, 07:04 PM
Good idea on making a series -this is wonderful :)