PDA

View Full Version : waves

sundiver
06-03-2004, 11:25 AM
I was going through my reference photos looking for something for the hair project, when I came across a picture I took at the beach one blustery evening. There's an all-media project on waves for the Marine forum, so....

Now I'm not comfortable painting rocks OR surf in any media, so don't know what posessed me to try this, but I had fun.

freehand, from scratch, using a Wacom and Painter Classic, also using a mouse and Photosuite, no filters, no layers

C&c are most welcome! Thanks for looking.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Jun-2004/6393-waves.jpg

JCoop
06-03-2004, 11:47 AM
Wendy, this is great! Love the turquois in the water, makes it look really refreshing. Nice wave crashes too! You seem comfortable to me. :)

Michael
06-03-2004, 11:49 AM
Wendy,
I am glad you decided to try this. It is beautifully done and the colors are fantastic!!!!!

flowerfancy58
06-03-2004, 02:25 PM
Great job on this and especially since you didin't use any layers!!

I usually use at leat two, one for the subject, one for a background:)

gloria

Elvira
06-03-2004, 08:24 PM
Sundiver, you did a lovely job on this image. You say you don't like doing rock I understand that problem it was often discussed in painting class at college as we all have a bit of trouble making them look hard instead of like marshmallows. Actually yours are quite good.
This link will take you to my discussion on painting rocks in a Painter Tut I wrote last year. it might help I don't know. Making Rocks Believable (http://tinyurl.com/2gjcq)

Edie

Jet
06-03-2004, 09:31 PM
Wendy, great motion and colors.
This piece looks like made with natural media.

Thanks Elvira for the link...
would you like to post it at DATT thread for everyone's easy reach ?

You can go ahead and post it yourself, or if you don't feel right posting your own links,
i will gladly add it for you, giving you full credit-of course. :)

Regards

Elvira
06-03-2004, 09:57 PM
Thanks Jet, I'll post a link to the whole page . There are a couple of ohter short Tuts for Painter as well.
Edie

Chiers
06-03-2004, 11:31 PM
Very nice Wendy! :clap: I can see you will have no trouble with digital painting at all. I also can see that your traditional style carrys over to digital. :clap:

sundiver
06-04-2004, 03:14 PM
Thank you all so much for your encouragement! :)
Edie, cool tute, thanks!
Gloria, the main reason I didn't use two layers is because I don't really know how lol. When I try to paint over a new layer I seem to get a lot of white in with the color.
And same thing, Sherry, about using a traditional style- don't know how to do any other! I tried the oil brushes but they were streaky, like a fan brush or something.
Oh, well, I'll just keep on experimentin'!

flowerfancy58
06-04-2004, 03:33 PM
Lol Wendy, I know what you mean about layers, it took me a little while to figure out how to do it too:)

I have Painter 8 so I can't tell you how to do it, but hopefully someone who has Painter Classic will read this and explain how to do the layers ( I'm assuming Classic has them)

No matter though as you are doing supremely well with or with out layers!

gloria