PDA

View Full Version : The Hand of Fatima

Lorijayne
06-03-2004, 03:48 AM
Attached is a collage. I would welcome suggestions on improving composition, color harmonies, technique, etc. Thanks. Lori

Jet
06-03-2004, 04:06 AM
Lori,
everything is great , nothing to add --i guess--

Regards

Michael
06-03-2004, 04:56 AM
I like it as it is, especially the gradient.

My memory may be a bit off here, but the eye was on the back of the hand, wasn't it? If it was I think I woould like to see a hint of fingernails. If not...Leave it as is.

Lorijayne
06-03-2004, 09:40 AM
I like it as it is, especially the gradient.

Thanks. I made this by overlapping two gradients. The first was a purple to yellow. On top of that I put a black to transparent, then added gaussian noise and a gaussian blur to make the stars. Then I adjusted the black to purple to match the gradient underneath. (The "stars" won't come out if you start with any other color than black).

My memory may be a bit off here, but the eye was on the back of the hand, wasn't it? If it was I think I woould like to see a hint of fingernails. If not...Leave it as is.

I think you are right. I wasn't working from a photo reference on this. I was using a "hand of Fatima" earring for the fill of the hand (which is a scan of my own hand). The earring has the eye on both sides. I do suppose a henna tatoo would have worn off if it's on the palm.

Thanks for checking it out.

Duende
06-03-2004, 12:55 PM
Hello Lori,
This is a very pleasing piece. The only thing I would comment on is that the right foot looks a bit awkward, almost as if it were an appendage to the dress. Perhaps if you lightened it a little it would look better. Great colors!Paddy

Lorijayne
06-03-2004, 02:32 PM
The only thing I would comment on is that the right foot looks a bit awkward, almost as if it were an appendage to the dress. Perhaps if you lightened it a little it would look better.

I see what you mean. It's hard to see her toes. I am also wondering if the shadow is enough to "ground" her so she doesn't seem like she is so floaty. Should I add more ground? But I sorta like the ethereal look. Hmmmm.... I'll have to think about that.

Thanks for commenting. Lori

kbilltv
06-03-2004, 11:06 PM
I'd say that the mountains provide a good break to darken the base of the composition and give it some weight. That the dress ends there, perhaps something in the purple range would tie it together nicely?