PDA

View Full Version : Sue's Sanded Paper Recipe

k9artisan
06-02-2004, 08:52 PM
Well,

I finally got all my supplies for Sue's Sanded Paper Recipe. In case you are wondering it is
*1 Cup of good Gesso
*2 Cups of water
*2 Tablespoons of Marble Dust

I mixed up the ingredients and tried it out on Arches 140lb coldpress watercolor paper. I painted 3 coats (each going into opposite directions). Only one of the 3 pages I coated needed to have gesso coat on the back side, the others didn't warp at all.

All went really well and I really like the tooth it had. My next step was coloring the papers. I had bought some Pure Pigments by Createx and was going to use them. I didn't realize how stinky they smell! :( Thought at first it was the dog LOL! Anyway, it didn't go well. Either I had too much water or the final coat wasn't completely dry, but it looked horrible. It was streaky and looked like poster paint.

Now I haven't given up on them yet, but I decided to try acrylic paint instead. I wasn't sure if the acrylic would ruin the surface or not, but decided to try it anyway. Well, the acrylic (made into a thick syrupy texture), coated really well and YES :music: the tooth was still there! Yay!!

It did take me most of the afternoon, but the cost savings is worth it, plus the benefit of doing my own colors. I still bought another package of art spectrum just in case (for the days I am feeling lazy), but I am a total convert!

Thanks so much Sue for sharing your recipe with us. :angel: I will let you know when I do a painting with it, but thought you would want to know how it worked with watercolor paper and acrylic.
Amber :clap:

Dyin
06-02-2004, 09:45 PM
Hey, that's great Amber! But guess what...if you want an all over tone for your paper...you add some of the Pure Pigment to the actual mix til you get the shade you want. just remember it's a lot of white in the gesso, so you'll get a light version...I only use a few drops. Don't you love how professional that stuff looks when it's dry? When there's color it is totally the same shade throughout. The acrylic will make it a little slicker to work on, but I did my zebras on a surface like that, so it works.
I've never tried to paint with the pure pigment and no binder medium...but since it's just pigment suspended in water I guess it would dry like poster paint. Was it fun being a mad artist scientist??? :D

btw....doing the actual paper didn't take too long did it? You can use a hair dryer, but usually the first is dry by the time you get the third paper done...usually I get 3 good size pieces done in about 45 minutes or less.

CarlyHardy
06-02-2004, 11:57 PM
Amber,
something sounds bad here....the smell of the Createx? I have pure pigments and they don't smell unless I stick my nose right on the top of them...and it's not a bad smell...just sort of an acrylic like paint smell. Do they all smell like that?

We need Kitty to tell us how hers smell :)

If they have molded or something, they may be a problem.
carly

Kitty Wallis
06-03-2004, 04:16 AM
Amber,
something sounds bad here....the smell of the Createx? I have pure pigments and they don't smell unless I stick my nose right on the top of them...and it's not a bad smell...just sort of an acrylic like paint smell. Do they all smell like that?

We need Kitty to tell us how hers smell :)

If they have molded or something, they may be a problem.
carly

Mine smell fine. As Carly says, just a very faint paint smell. I've had mine in half filled jars here in my studio for years.

IndigoRed
08-09-2004, 09:25 AM
Hello........I use the Createx to make custom pastel colors.....and the one that i WONT use is the ultramarine blue.......the smell is so bad it made me sick.......i even called createx and asked if that is a normal thing.....the lady wasnt even shocked at my question (sounded a little bored tho) and said that it was ok..........but still , i even tried to wear a dust mask so i wouldnt be able to smell it so much and the smell STILL got through....Kitty if you have an ultramarine blue pure pigment could ya sniff it and see if yours is the same way LOL.........

At the moment tho i stuck on Oil pastels. Even sold a brand new collection of oil paints so i can buy the complete set of Caran D'ache Neo's ........I have been trying to find a recipe to make my own....i just cant believe how little info the is about them....The new edition of Artist Materials and Techniques by Mayer doesnt have anything in it about Oil pastels....sigh

If anyone has any info about making em.....i would be VERY grateful :D

Dyin
08-09-2004, 02:56 PM
Hi Steph, sounds like you got a bad batch. I'm not sure this will work...but try it on a little sample and see....add a drop or two of bleach. It should kill the bacteria that's formed to make the smell. And it should dilute and not effect the stuff, but not sure...used to have to do that for bad glaze batches and clay.
Ok...have not found a recipe, but did find what goes into it.

Fossil wax
mineral oil
pigment

I think the fossil wax has different properties than beeswax. Can be ordered, but not sure where. The combination is going to be tricky. Too waxy and it'll be like the cheap brands. Too oily and it won't hold together or transfer the pigment well. I was wanting to try it, using the Createx pigments...a lot easier than grinding dry pigments. Too much for me to get into now. Also it would harden fast so you have to figure out how to get the stuff formed at the right moment....good luck and let us know if you have any success!