PDA

View Full Version : digital elf portrait - tips?

MSAndie
06-02-2004, 07:49 PM
I'm just getting into digital work.

This was my first serious attempt. Using mostly the airbrush in photoshop. I'm pretty happy with the skintones, but i have reservations about the hair. I've tried multiple times to improve it, but can't seem to... I tried adding texture, sharpening, painting more details. I don't have a tablet (yet) so i'm limited in control by my mouse... I drew a pencil sketch initially before painting over it in photoshop.

Any tips on how to imrpove the hair???

I've attached the digital piece, the original drawing, and the ref image. (Yes, i know the piece doesn't match the ref image, but i wasn't going for a copy, just used it for help with the pose and hair.) :)

CarolinaGal
06-02-2004, 08:26 PM
Taylia, you're doing very well if you're just getting started. One suggestion though, don't keep those dark "outlines" around the chin and hair. IMO they're very distracting on a really lovely piece. Use darker shadows and slightly blurred lines instead of the sharp, dark ones.

Wish I could see the hair here, but I can't.

Edited - looked again. You're going in the right direction, just not far enough. First puit in blocks of color and then go in with a few fine lines that are crisp for the dark lights and the highlight (which should be lighter than you've used so far).

Georgia

Michael
06-02-2004, 09:05 PM
I think you might try running the USM Unsharp Mask, found in Filters>Sharpen>Unsharp Mask) filter over the piece, that, I believe would draw more attention to the hair and define it a bit more.

I think this is a gorgeous painting, and really can't wait to see more of your work!! :clap:

flowerfancy58
06-03-2004, 12:47 AM
Neat looking piece:) I agree about the outlines though. I know working with the mouse is tiring and limiting, but I think all you need to do is touch up with some very light highlights just as the ref shows:)

gloria

Cronious
06-03-2004, 07:55 AM
Great work on the skin tones

As for hair, I have yet to attack this in this months challenge, but I think putting some gentle bright and dark lines to give it pow should work.

Great work

Jet
06-03-2004, 09:25 AM
Love your style, :clap:

as for corrections, ......not feeling competent :)

but,... love your style :)

Regards

ps....if needed, there are some hair tutes , just click on DATT button-below- :cool:

themanda
06-03-2004, 10:33 AM
one easy way to bring a lot of depth to something like hair is to paint colors in on a separate layer set to overlay at a mid to low opacity. black and white act like dodge and burn but with more control, and you can add subtle hints of color by using...um, color. :) you might find that adding black to your shadows and white or a yellow to your highlight areas will give you a big punch.

i'd also pull out some little stray hairs around her forehead, her ears, and the perimeter of the whole head with the smudge tool set to a very small, very high opacity brush. using that same brush, you could add some well defined hairs throughout her whole head.

you've done a terrific job on her face! you're gonna rock if you get a tablet! :clap:

JCoop
06-03-2004, 12:10 PM
taylia, you've already been given some great advice by some of our resident hair experts, so I'll just say that this is very nicely done and I like it a bunch!