PDA

View Full Version : WDEMay29 Screaming loud rock pile

dabblerdot
06-02-2004, 04:26 AM
This is loud enough to start a rock slide !!
After seeing Dyan and all you other folks have had wonderful success with your OP's, I decided to give the 42 year old 'Guitar' brand OP's a work-out. They were probably el cheapo's but you took what you could get in a small town- the only reason I've hung onto them is that they were a Christmas prezzie from my mom.
These pastels have brought out the wild woman in me- absolutely rampant colours ! But I had a good time, and may even try them again .
11.5"x16" on Fabriano Tiziano paper, base colour kinda beige. In 2 hrs, only got 1/3 of the way down the paper, so put another 2.5 hrs on it and called it done. It has to be, as I can't see any way to change this medium once it's committed to paper ! My apologies for submitting a second painting on this WDE, I know the site is very busy and I'll try not to let it happen again, at least 'til some other epiphany moment ! :D :D
ps: could that long string of rocks (I shoulda broken them up a bit)across the middle of the snow be the log that several people lost off their stream painting ??? :D

Sharrm
06-02-2004, 04:46 AM
Wooo Hooo D/Dot, this sizzels(sp?). It's not loud at all, wonderful use of those OP's. The colors "rock". Are you saying you haven't done OP's in all that time??? Wow, I just love this...beautiful... :clap: :clap: :clap: :D You should'nt worry about doing more than one, some people have done three or more this week. Sharron

Deano
06-02-2004, 10:51 AM
Hi. Dabblerdot. Your rockpile dosen't exactly scream at me. But it does say "look at me " in a rather authorative voice...and look I do. There's so many artistic treasures to find in this painting. I wish you had used the uploader so I didn't have to use my memory. The composition with the diagonal movement...the complementary colors defining the rocks...the values and color variations...keep me looking. Great! :clap: :clap:
ps...It appears that the beaver has gone high tech and built the dam out of boulders.He just stashed our missing log there out of orneryness. :evil:
By the way, don't ever feel bad about posting additional paintings in WDE. Thanks for sharing.

xreader
06-02-2004, 12:17 PM
Wow...for not having used op's your lanscape turned out great. I've yet to try a landscape in op's myself. A definate success! :clap: :clap:

stonewhiteclown
06-02-2004, 01:13 PM
You have stunning result, Dabblerdot! :clap: A lot of interest here. I can tell you had fun with those OP's. Try them more, you do nicely!
Anybody sees white shark here? :)

Drumbeat-trish
06-02-2004, 01:29 PM
I see the shark now you've pointed it out Alex :)
Dabblerdot-this is really awesome ( once I got over the giggles about the log ;) ) The colours are vivid but I agree no screaming here. A very successful piece and good onya for doing 2 :)

stoney
06-02-2004, 03:50 PM
This is loud enough to start a rock slide !!
After seeing Dyan and all you other folks have had wonderful success with your OP's, I decided to give the 42 year old 'Guitar' brand OP's a work-out. They were probably el cheapo's but you took what you could get in a small town- the only reason I've hung onto them is that they were a Christmas prezzie from my mom.
These pastels have brought out the wild woman in me- absolutely rampant colours ! But I had a good time, and may even try them again .
11.5"x16" on Fabriano Tiziano paper, base colour kinda beige. In 2 hrs, only got 1/3 of the way down the paper, so put another 2.5 hrs on it and called it done. It has to be, as I can't see any way to change this medium once it's committed to paper ! My apologies for submitting a second painting on this WDE, I know the site is very busy and I'll try not to let it happen again, at least 'til some other epiphany moment ! :D :D
ps: could that long string of rocks (I shoulda broken them up a bit)across the middle of the snow be the log that several people lost off their stream painting ??? :D

I see submitting a second painting (much less a first) on a WDE to be a hefty compliment. :)

Yes, the 'log monster' dropped it there after using it for a toothpick.... :)

dabblerdot
06-02-2004, 03:50 PM
Hey, thanks you guys, for being so accommodating re 2nd painting this WDE, and for all your kind and supportive words !!!
Sharm- yup, 42 years since last touched- they're still nice and oily, not dry at all, maybe they weren't such bad op's after all . I'm happy to be getting over my fear and loathing of them !!
Deano- you are too kind ! Enjoyed the comment about the beaver- here in BC there is a protected large rodent that's called a "Mountain Beaver" ( different animal from the regular beaver) so maybe that's the critter who arranged the log in the rocks :D :D
Alex- I never saw the shark there before ! Now I can claim all elements in the painting- land, sea and air ! :D
xreader and dbTrish- thanks for your comments !

flawless_bone
06-03-2004, 02:13 PM
:clap: I can see a shark but an even better wolf! I like the portraiture-like colors on the rocks and the yummy white between. Itīs not screaming at me but I like to look at it!

Yokovich
06-03-2004, 10:04 PM
beauuuuuuuutiful!!! I love the colorful rocks--this is inspired!! I love the white snow against the colorful stones---just lovely!!! five clappie men for you!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Charlie's Mum
06-04-2004, 04:11 PM
Wow Dd, that sky is absolutely gorgeous - the texture and colour mix, beautiful! And the rich greens - MMMMMMmmmmm!
I also think those rocks knock my socks off! Lovely mix of colours again - and,(wrong 'continent') but isn't that a little koala sitting at the top of the rocks, keeping clear of the white shark??????!!!!!!
This is a joy to look at - so glad you did this extra one. :D :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

dabblerdotjr
06-04-2004, 09:22 PM
I liked your sky in particular. cant wait to see this in person with all the colours. glad to hear you are making use of Gramma's present to you... I wont have to tattle on you now... :evil:

lorna12
06-05-2004, 05:39 AM
I missed getting around to so many this week but I'm soooo glad I didn't miss this!!

I LOVE it!! The sky is wonderful and so are the rocks.....all that beautiful color!! This screams all right....it's saying "look at me...aren't I gorgeous!"

Well done Lauren!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

katju
06-05-2004, 12:40 PM
WOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Nice painting, Dabbler and VERY entertaining :D
I see the shark and the koala. Anyone see Waldo??

Kathy ;)