PDA

View Full Version : WIP-Caught *THE* Big One! (innocent look)

stoney
06-01-2004, 09:48 PM
Acrylic on matboard 9-3/4" x 7."

xreader
06-01-2004, 09:53 PM
A very fine start. :clap:

stoney
06-01-2004, 10:05 PM
A very fine start. :clap:

Thank you. :)

stonewhiteclown
06-02-2004, 04:25 PM
Is that "ladyfinger" on the left? This must be a sequel then :D
Stoney! You have to try making comics! Wierd ones :evil:

stoney
06-02-2004, 05:23 PM
Is that "ladyfinger" on the left? This must be a sequel then :D
Stoney! You have to try making comics! Wierd ones :evil:

Heheheh. Nope, 'ladyfinger' isn't in this one. I'm not going to 'let the cat out of the bag.' :evil: :evil: :evil:

stoney
06-02-2004, 08:24 PM
Here we go. Final, I think (unless I missed something). All the pieces to put the 'puzzle' together are there. However, it is all military related so some explaination may be needed. Explaination is not a problem, but I'd like to see how many put the pieces together. :)

dabblerdot
06-02-2004, 09:25 PM
Now this is coming clearer to me !! I really like how you've got the wash of water across the bow :clap: of the retrieved ship (I think the submarines have a rounder end, according to your previous pics) but I can't begin to know the whole story... but I'm waiting ! :D Must be something to the 'dog' name on the fishing vessel.... hhmmmmmmmmm.....

stoney
06-02-2004, 09:39 PM
Now this is coming clearer to me !! I really like how you've got the wash of water across the bow :clap: of the retrieved ship (I think the submarines have a rounder end, according to your previous pics) but I can't begin to know the whole story... but I'm waiting ! :D Must be something to the 'dog' name on the fishing vessel.... hhmmmmmmmmm.....

Hehehehe.....Oh, good the water on the bow worked.

Yes, the newer subs, about 1965 on-had rounded (like a bullet) ends. Such streamlining reduces their noise when they're moving submerged. I used more of a WWII look as I haven't figured out the tonal changes in cylinders, yet.

On the other vessel, it isn't "d-o-g." It is "D-D-G." The writing on the sub is a critical piece, as well as everything else you can see. :)

I'm not trying to mess with anyone's head, here. I'm trying to see what folks pick up and then I'll explain fully.

The ship railing is 'to scale.' I should have mentioned that before, whereas the lettering is nothing more than verbage.

Yokovich
06-03-2004, 10:10 PM
most zany !!!:)

stoney
06-03-2004, 11:58 PM
most zany !!!:)

Thank you. :) There is a hefty joke (military humour) behind it all. If asked, tomorrow night I'll explain. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Charlie's Mum
06-04-2004, 04:28 PM
First - the water over the hull is excellent!
The ship was 'under cover' but took the bait and got reeled in - now the captain's in dock and being hauled over the rocks - wet(sorry), red faces all round!!!!!!! :evil: :D

stonewhiteclown
06-04-2004, 05:34 PM
Stoney, I feel as explaination in needed! I give up. Those military things, I afraid it can get ugly :angel:

stoney
06-05-2004, 12:51 AM
First - the water over the hull is excellent!
The ship was 'under cover' but took the bait and got reeled in - now the captain's in dock and being hauled over the rocks - wet(sorry), red faces all round!!!!!!! :evil: :D

Thank you, kindly. I wasn't sure if that was going to work. :)

stoney
06-05-2004, 01:07 AM
Stoney, I feel as explaination in needed! I give up. Those military things, I afraid it can get ugly :angel:

( chuckling ) When it comes to military-anything can happen. :evil: :evil:

We were doing war games in the Meditterranean Sea. That sub had an accident. It had somehow snapped the propellor shaft, dropped the propellor, and flooded an engine room.

I don't remember if it was a 'fast attack' sub or a 'boomer' (missile carrier). More than likely, though, it was a fast attack.

The seas were on the rough side, as I recall. Submariners have a saying; "There are only two kinds of ships; subs and targets."

Well, this 'target' went deep-sea fishing and caught a 'bubble-boat.' (The nickname for submariners is 'bubble-head.')

The sub was in trouble. The only materials we had on hand was 2-1/2 inch nylon line (rope). Something like this had never been done before. We towed that sub in rough seas (it got worse) at 5 knots for 2-1/2 days headed for Rota, Spain (where they had a dry-dock) until an ARS (rescue ship) caught up to us from Naples, Italy.

Those of us on the tin can were glad the sub and crew were fine. However, we were laughing our arses off at them. You see, a sub has zero stability on the surface. So it was pitching and rolling all over the place. That whole crew had to have been "hugging the bowl." (In other words, puking all over the place).

The rescue ship picked up the tow and we continued on our way. That ship's "name" was 'mud.' A 'target' had to rescue the 'hunter.' I'm sure in a very short time the incident was known throughout the sub fleet.

Later on, the USN decided to make a technical manual on this and asked the crew if they could use their photographs. The crew said 'yes,' and the USN did, and gave them their negatives back.

I'm the only one in the world with movies of this. There were two movie cameras on board, but I was the only one who had film! :)

I'd estimate once the sub was in dry-dock, provided a propellor was on-hand, it was back at sea in 4-5 days, unless other items were taken care of while the opportunity was there.