PDA

View Full Version : Master of the Month #6 - June

Pages : 1 [2]

IMNRTST
06-25-2004, 08:59 PM
are you going to knock back that yellow a touch, or just leave it be?
Dave

I think i'm going to have to tame it down cause it's startin' to bug the hell outta me :p I'm a sleepwalker....so maybe i'll just go to bed and wake up in the morning with it fixed :p ...very time efficient lol

ty all for your comments =)
Mike

tubbekans
06-25-2004, 11:12 PM
Hi all, DCorc,
Yes, still planning to finish, maybe I'll do some more this weekend. My boss suddenly decided this week that having me work night and day was the best way for him to relax. Oh well. Maybe the painting will help me forget work for a while. Everyones paintings are looking really great!

bjs0704
06-26-2004, 01:12 AM
Mike -Good work! I think that your painting has a really good overall color balance. Cezanne always seemed to me to be exaggerating the yellow ochre when he painted.

Anna - Thanks for reminding me of that old saying. I have been trying to remember exactly how many paintings one would need to do.

I have been trying to do the Weekly Drawing Thread in the sketching forum to work a little on my drawing.

I have enjoyed the chance to brush up my French!

I always presumed that the blue patch on the walkway was where someone had covered over a muddy spot. It would also make sense to do something similar to the road if it is also affected. Anyway, that was my guess.

I was thinking before that if I went on this road today one of the major changes would be the satalite dishes in the back yards.

Dave - That is a good observation about the composition!

Barb Solomon :cat:

Biki
06-26-2004, 01:54 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

well i think you have all done better than Cezanne - to my weasel eye, anyway.

Bravo.!!

Dare I join you next month just so I can be the dunce of the class yet again ? :( :D

dcorc
06-26-2004, 06:53 AM
I thought we ought to consider what this peaceful rural scene would look like if brought up to date (courtesy of photoshop) :evil:

So, I proudly present my rendition of "Cezanne's Van":

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2004/30792-cezannesvan.jpg

Much better! :D

Dave

LadyJane65
06-26-2004, 07:27 AM
Too funny, Dave, and sadly, too true!

LJ

Rosic
06-26-2004, 07:51 AM
Dave... thanks for the update. ROTFLMAO... :D

Biki
06-26-2004, 07:59 AM
Dave babe, have you nothing better to do ?

get off your bum & finish La Donna! ( is what i say) :evil:

IMNRTST
06-26-2004, 09:29 AM
LOL Dave!
Cezanne's Van even has a nice ring to it :p

Mike

Praire Rune
06-26-2004, 11:29 PM
Oh my gosh!!! I don't believe it! I love Cezanne's Van!! :clap: Polly, I love your whimsical style (and so does Anna!!) :clap: :clap: Annick you have done a lovely painting :clap: :clap: You all haven't heard from me for awhile, but I have been silently plodding along with my painting. I have a few more strokes of the brush, hopefully tomorrow morning, and then I will be finished. Now to learn how to send the picture :rolleyes: I may be asking for help here if my kids can't teach me.

bjs0704
06-27-2004, 12:07 AM
Dave - LOL That looks about right! That was too funny!

Prairie Rune - Iím looking forward to seeing your painting!

Annick
06-27-2004, 12:34 AM
DAVE : Me and my husband (almost) cried laughing... Thanks for the humor - we needed it! Would love to see something like the Mona Lisa up to date... Pink hair - nose piercing?

Later,

Annick :D

guillot
06-27-2004, 10:03 AM
Too Funny Dave :D !!! I needed a good laugh.

My thoughts on the blue patch were just as your's dave, that it's a puddle of water. Good observation on leading the eye, without it there it changes everything.

Great work everyone!!!!!

Tina

5thsister
06-27-2004, 11:10 AM
I thought we ought to consider what this peaceful rural scene would look like if brought up to date (courtesy of photoshop) :evil:

So, I proudly present my rendition of "Cezanne's Van":

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jun-2004/30792-cezannesvan.jpg

Much better! :D

Dave

Okay...now for a real "groaner": Which way did Cezanne's Van Gogh? :D

5thsister
06-27-2004, 11:13 AM
Polly, I love your whimsical style (and so does Anna!!) :clap: :clap:

Hi Heidi!

Coming from you that is quite a compliment! Thank you and give sweet Anna a hug for me :) I can't wait to see your version of Cezanne...are you still considering adding wildflowers to the roadside?

loop
06-28-2004, 08:05 AM
call me LOOPY :rolleyes: , but I thought that "puddle in the road" is the shadow from the phalic tree ???

boy these are coming fast,furious, and fabulous :clap:

dave, love the update, and agree, you have too much time on your hands, are you under quarintein or something :D ....... you said you LOVED her, is it over already ?? was it the age difference ? ;)

tubbekans
06-29-2004, 08:18 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2004/32632-mom_jun_ptf.JPG

Shazam's Horror by the Roadside.

Well, here it is. I've managed a few similarities to Cezanne's painting, but not many. No matter, I had fun doing this, and never having tried "stripey painting" before, it is ok stuff. Probably not exactly what Dcorc had in mind, I think he mentioned the stripey painting idea in his reference info? I seem to have wandered a little from the field here.
;)
Hope this doesn't hurt all your eyes too much!

bjs0704
06-30-2004, 12:37 AM
tubbekans - It looks good! Itís kind of an Impressionistic Roadtrip painting. Your colors are really wonderful. The purple in the sky added quite a bit.

artbabe21
06-30-2004, 12:49 AM
tubbekans - It looks good! Itís kind of an Impressionistic Roadtrip painting. Your colors are really wonderful. The purple in the sky added quite a bit.

I quite agree with Barb.....it's really COOL!! :D

paloma
06-30-2004, 01:27 AM
Hi Dave,
Navigating this w/c site is quite an adventure for me!!! find it quite amazing & incredibly addictive. Count me in on this one - especially since I have been studying his works - hence my Avatar. Gather there is no deadline, as I am new to this, when do you expect to see some of our efforts? do we post on this thread or subscribe to it? Cheers, Paloma :) :)

bjs0704
06-30-2004, 10:40 AM
Hi Paloma! I'm glad that you have joined us. Usually, we try to make a copy of one Master oil painting every month. This Cezanne was the choice for June.

While this painting goes quickly, you probably won't be able to finish it in June. We are going to be doing a floral by Thayer next month.

I am not sure about the rules on late entries. I started doing this in April and I have certainly considered doing the first three copies. I would love to hear what the others think about late entries.

Rosic
06-30-2004, 10:43 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Jun-2004/32632-mom_jun_ptf.JPG
;) Hope this doesn't hurt all your eyes too much!
Not at all! I like the loose/airy look. :clap:
Bern

Rosic
06-30-2004, 10:47 AM
Hi Dave,
Navigating this w/c site is quite an adventure for me!!! find it quite amazing & incredibly addictive.
Cheers, Paloma :) :)
You are quite right! Welcome to the series Paloma! I hope you join us in the other MOM's... watch out... they're addictive too! :D
Bern

artbabe21
06-30-2004, 10:52 AM
welcome to the project Paloma...:)
Since we don't close the threads after we move on to the next month, late entries are always welcome.....just find the thread & add yours on. It's really an ongoing project or a new one for those that find it late!

dcorc
06-30-2004, 11:19 AM
tubbekans - I think that's a great job - and I like the way you have gone for the brushstrokes - it has ended up looking a bit more of a blustery day than the original, but that's fine!

Paloma - the idea of choosing to do the paintings at a specific time is so that the group of us work through the "issues" of the particular painting more or less together and learn as a group by discussing, and trying to solve technical difficulties together. I see no problem at all in having a go at any of the paintings later, and posting your progress to the relevant threads - I'm sure those of us who have already done it will be still keen to see how others do so, and to take part in discussions.

For everyone who's done, or doing this one - hoping you will all join in for the Thayer!

Dave

tubbekans
06-30-2004, 06:24 PM
Thanks Barb, Cathleen, Bern and Dave! Wow, you all really are a nice bunch!
I really have a long way to go to learn this painting stuff. I guess its fun getting there no matter where you start. Bern, I like the look too, I think the same directiony brush strokes kind of give it a flow. Dave, you are right, it's a little stormier looking, but I still like the overall affect. Thanks again all, your comments are much appreaciated.
Paul :)

Praire Rune
07-01-2004, 10:22 AM
Tubbekins- I love the energy in the sky and in the overall painting. It's a painting full of excitement. You could put a character on the road and then it will become an illustration for a story

tubbekans
07-02-2004, 02:25 PM
Thanks Praire Rune! Guess the story would be I'm on the road to lurn'in paintin'. Those darn flowers for July are a little scary looking. I have a feeling if I do them they will look eerily similar to the house by the roadside.
Well, guess there could be worse things than that? Maybe I'll try 'em. How bout you?

guillot
07-02-2004, 07:32 PM
great going tubbekans!!!!!!! :clap:

Prairie Rune - good to see ya !!

Paloma - welcome to the adventure.

:clap:

had a blast with this one, everyone's work looks wonderful !!!!

Tina

Praire Rune
07-03-2004, 11:29 AM
Tubbekans, if they do end up looking like like your Cezanne, then they are going to be some exciting and energetic flowers :D I teach summer art camps to children, so my only time to paint :crying: is on the weekends and if I am lucky on Monday and Friday mornings. I love teaching art to kids, however, not painting, or drawing a little bit on a daily basis makes me cranky :rolleyes: I may try the July painting. Yes, those roses do look intimidating.

artbabe21
07-03-2004, 12:23 PM
I may try the July painting. Yes, those roses do look intimidating.

You should pop over there, the stages are posted & it actually looks very easy...once it's broken down....one is already finished!! :)

Praire Rune
07-03-2004, 09:48 PM
Here is my Cezanne as of today. I think it's complete. I did a free hand sketch from the computer screen and then painted outside without a reference photo, so I did get a bit confused as to the roof of the first house, etc. I opted to keep my houses a creamy white since I had so much color everywhere else. I even considered painting over one of them in pastel pink, kind of like the ones you would see in Mexico.

Praire Rune
07-03-2004, 09:50 PM
By the way, I am having difficulty sending larger versions of my paintings. I've noticed that many of you have lovely, large images. Am I doing something wrong?

bjs0704
07-03-2004, 10:12 PM
Heidi - The brighter color scheme is really a nice touch. Your painting has really turned out well! :clap: :clap:

5thsister
07-04-2004, 09:41 AM
Hi Heidi!

Your rendition of Cezanne is truly beautiful! The fact that you painted from memory rather than a reference amazes me. You deserve the applause smilie for sure :clap: :clap: :clap:

Praire Rune
07-04-2004, 10:58 AM
Barb and Polly, thank you for your comments! I must admit, this was a fun painting.

artbabe21
07-04-2004, 11:18 AM
Terrific job Heidi!! You have done well! ;)

Photo can be sized 500 wide X 600 long & that's the size we normally post. Try looking in your software for a way to get them that size & they'll be just right!!

tubbekans
07-04-2004, 11:39 AM
Prarie Rune, your painting looks great! The idea for the pink on the houses is interesting. The idea of a Mexican flavor seems like it would fit the look of this Cezaane to me. It looks kinda like a Mediteranean scene to me.

On uploading, I am no expert, but I think there is 100 thousand byte limit on image size too. There is a sticky at top of the oil painting forum with "official" advice on how to upload also. Very helpful sticky.

guillot
07-04-2004, 02:22 PM
Here is my Cezanne as of today. I think it's complete. I did a free hand sketch from the computer screen and then painted outside without a reference photo, so I did get a bit confused as to the roof of the first house, etc. I opted to keep my houses a creamy white since I had so much color everywhere else. I even considered painting over one of them in pastel pink, kind of like the ones you would see in Mexico.

Very nice Praire Rune!!! Love the colors.

Tina

Praire Rune
07-05-2004, 01:35 AM
Thank you Cathleen, Tubbekans and Tina! My son downloaded some software that works very well, so I can now send images in the correct size. Yeah!

Has there ever been a MOM over Van Gogh? That might be fun, too. I really did enjoy working on this Cezanne.

Hasta luego, Heidi

artbabe21
07-05-2004, 12:54 PM
Has there ever been a MOM over Van Gogh? That might be fun, too. I really did enjoy working on this Cezanne.

Heidi....not yet we haven't done a Van Gogh...but it looks like it may be on next years schedule for MOMs... :clap:

Praire Rune
07-05-2004, 03:16 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: I'm doing that for sure! Has the painting been chosen yet?

artbabe21
07-05-2004, 03:44 PM
No, not as yet...we're working on it though...:)

Praire Rune
07-05-2004, 07:36 PM
I hope it will be a landscape! or a cityscape! Something outdoors....

Hoofmama
07-08-2004, 02:12 AM
Another late start, but once I put paint on my brush, it went quickly. I love impressionists!!!!!!!! I see a couple of things I should fix, but I'm calling it done. Great learning experience for me. So glad to have the opportunity.
Everyone's posts were very informative and the submitted works were a wonder to behold. :clap:
Has anyone given any thought to cross posting the MOM challenges on the acrylic board? I would feel less like a party crasher :p
Well, here is my shot at this wonderful landscape (acrylic on 16x20 canvas board).

artbabe21
07-08-2004, 09:48 AM
Has anyone given any thought to cross posting the MOM challenges on the acrylic board? I would feel less like a party crasher :p
Well, here is my shot at this wonderful landscape (acrylic on 16x20 canvas board).

Beautiful job Hoofmama!! We're thrilled that you joined our project but since it really is medium specific to the oil forum next year we'll be more stringent about this. Can you learn oils by then?? :)

bjs0704
07-08-2004, 11:49 AM
Hoofmama - It looks great! The colors that you have chosen look really good and the trees have worked out wonderfully!

Hoofmama
07-08-2004, 12:38 PM
Thanks Cathleen. I'll probably switch over to oils eventually, but for now, while I'm taking classes, the acrylics are more affordable. I may just go ahead and paint along with the MOMs, but post on the acrylic forum.

artbabe21
07-08-2004, 12:44 PM
Please continue to post your work & yak with us & paint in acrylics this year...we've so enjoyed you!! :)

dcorc
07-08-2004, 01:56 PM
Hoofmama - this looks great - well done! :clap:

There was talk on the acrylics forum a few month back of either doing the same MOMs there, (or perhaps doing a similar set of 20thC paintings originally done in acrylic) but nothing came of it.

As Cathleen says, you're very welcome to continue here, and I'm sure we all encourage you to do so - it will be interesting to compare results.

You will also pick up quite a bit about oils along the way. The most expensive oils can get very costly, but oils needn't be any dearer to paint in than acrylics, you know. :)

Dave

Hoofmama
07-08-2004, 02:30 PM
Thanks, Dave. Yeah, I'd love to find a similar challenge on the acrylics forum. I think they'd have lots of participation, especially from us new painters looking to expand our "tool boxes."

I do see the day coming when I will have to give oils a try. I love the fast drying times for acrylics, but blending is not an option. For instance, I can't imagine I would be very successful in copying the July MOM with acrylics. It is very subtle and I see that much blending would be required. In my dry climate I only have a few seconds to push paint around on the canvas before it dries. I didn't like the slow drying medium as it made the paint feel really tacky and sticky. That in itself is a good reason to try oils.

Anyway, thanks all for your encouragement and the chance to play!

guillot
07-09-2004, 07:40 AM
Undoing the sticky. Thread still open so please continue to post.

This one was a wonderful adventure for sure and everyone has done beautifully !!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Tina