PDA

View Full Version : WDE May 29 The LOG (okay, clover creek)

stonewhiteclown
06-01-2004, 06:23 AM
Thanks for wonderful WDE Stoney! It was really difficult to choose one best for me.

This one I painted on Sat. evening, before seeing others entries. Quite surprised that this creek has such popularity.

Oil pastels on black 9x12", 2 hrs. At least log looks half-decent :) Failed to achieve strong lighting on the left though.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2004/30926-creekandlog.jpg

sundiver
06-01-2004, 07:24 AM
I like this very much! I agree, the log is super, and the area around it. The rest is fine, too, even if it looks a little shadier than the original; it looks very natural.
The problem with oil pastels, in my experience, is that it's difficult to get a warm, light, intense color that is also opaque. I find that I either have to put the bright color on first (and then it sometimes gets covered up), or add some soft pastel on the top. That's THE most problematic thing about o.p.s, in my opinion. The intense yellows are too transparent and the pale ones too pasty.
So with those limitations I think you've done a masterful job!

blondiedenise
06-01-2004, 09:42 AM
I really liked this photo and copied off to do in the future. Your interpretation of it is very good and you're right, the log is great. :clap: :clap: I'm impressed with pastel paintings that have detail like yours does. It's hard to make those round sticks do what you want! I just found that out for myself.
I did one of the ocean mountain scenes ( off Crete, I believe) in Rembrant soft pastels. I've never used pastels in my life so it was a learning experience as well as fun. I'm gonna see if I can figure out how to post it with my camcorder.

Denise

katju
06-01-2004, 10:48 AM
Looks very nice, Alex! The lack of strong light on the left may have worked to your advantage as my eye is drawn to the sparkly water in front and then to your well rendered log. :)

Kathy

Deano
06-01-2004, 10:53 AM
Good job, Alex, and I'm glad you got it posted. My log wasn't as good as yours, so I don't really mind that the beaver carried it off. :D The lighting is softened and subdued to very good effect. I like how you caught a lot of variation in color and texture, just as we see in nature. I really like the color that you placed in the log's shadow on the water. :clap:

dabblerdot
06-01-2004, 12:29 PM
Alex- super job ! :clap: You really did a terrific job with all the interesting nooks and crannies, shadows and light in this complex painting ! Your log provides a wonderful visual rest area. This is how I imagine the area looks at twilight. Very beautiful painting ! Kudos to you !! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yokovich
06-01-2004, 08:27 PM
this is just plum wonderful!!! frame it! :clap:

stoney
06-01-2004, 09:21 PM
Thanks for wonderful WDE Stoney! It was really difficult to choose one best for me.

This one I painted on Sat. evening, before seeing others entries. Quite surprised that this creek has such popularity.

Oil pastels on black 9x12", 2 hrs. At least log looks half-decent :) Failed to achieve strong lighting on the left though.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2004/30926-creekandlog.jpg

You're very welcome, Alex. I was trying to balance things so everyone would have 2-4 in their interest areas to choose from.

Excellant job on this one. :clap: :clap: :clap:

stonewhiteclown
06-02-2004, 04:07 PM
Wendy, Denise, Kathy, Deano, Dabblerdot, Celestia, Stoney, I'm grateful for your kind comments!

(step up to the microphone) "heartfelt thankyou and best wishes to Stoney, without him providing images we could not be witnessing this conveniently placed sturdy log here" :D

Wendy, I used white as a first layer on all bright places. This potentially allowed me to have brighter yellow on black paper, but within this time limit it all gone wrong. Speaking of layers I mean I can apply pastel until pits on my Ingres are filled. Here is close-up with my "layering", 1 inch wide.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2004/30926-04creekcloseup.jpg

adamjw
06-02-2004, 04:26 PM
I love the bright blue water at the front of the picture.
It provides interest and depth to the artwork.
The detail on the log and it's shadow are great. :)

Sharrm
06-02-2004, 09:31 PM
Very fine painting here Alex, the effects on the water, and detail of the log, and surrounding area, are superb. Well done. :clap: Sharron

Charlie's Mum
06-04-2004, 04:45 PM
Nice one Alex! :D :clap: :clap:
I like the feeling of evening light filtering across the upper triangle and then brought down to the bottom with the bright light in the stream. Yes, the log is good, but it's the colours and texture I find interesting - and I've learnt a few things from this thread, so keep the advice and tips coming all you OPists!

stonewhiteclown
06-04-2004, 05:40 PM
Thank you for stopping by Adam, Sharron and Maureen!
Maureen, I'm so glad you found sense of light here, that's what I was struggling for!