PDA

View Full Version : Lady Day

Chiers
05-31-2004, 06:02 PM
Someone reminded me the other day of the music of Billie Holliday. I have always liked her music and for the heck of it thought i would try her portrait.
The reference was black and white so I had to guess at the skin tones.

Chiers
05-31-2004, 06:16 PM
And a couple close ups

justjean
05-31-2004, 07:56 PM
Other than her hand which looks a little malformed and small you have done a great job Sherry

Chiers
05-31-2004, 08:11 PM
Thanks Jean. The hand however isn't intended to look like a full finished hand. I meant to blur the bottom of the painting but forgot to do it.

Michael
05-31-2004, 10:07 PM
I think you have done an outstanding job here, Crisp, well defined. awsome texture. excellent color, and only a hand the needs a bit of fading...WOW!!!!

JCoop
05-31-2004, 10:27 PM
Sherry, Billie Holliday is one of my favorites. You've done an excellent job here of breathing color into a b&w reference.

A few comments... You've done a great job with the midtones and shadows, but I think her skin tone could benefit from some well placed hightlights (see how the hair "pops". The skin should have a bit of that too).

Also, I think the edges could stand to be blended a bit more (looks like you're having fun with layers :D ). And I think it would be nice to see more of the blue from her "shall?" carried into the background purple.

Sherry, you know I'm just nitpicking. ;)

Chiers
06-01-2004, 12:44 AM
Thanks everyone!

Joel I added a bit of highlight and put some blue in the background. I tend to like crisp edges though. I guess thats kind of my style....if I have a style that is. I had more highlight to start with but as is my habit I don't know when to stop and kept trying to get the skin tone to look natural. My highlights before seemed to pasty. What do you think? Any better?

Chiers
06-01-2004, 12:48 AM
I yi yi....I would have been better off either making that hand look like a hand or getting rid of it completely. I just looked at it and its horrible..... :(

Jet
06-01-2004, 09:22 AM
Sherry,
how did i miss this one ?
i must move my sherry's collection one notch down.... :mad:

.....so i can place this one ON TOP !!! :clap:

Regards

themanda
06-01-2004, 10:41 AM
this is excellent! you did a great job on her teeth. :) teeth are tough, imo...they either come out looking like dentures or that someone is in dreadful need of them.

JCoop
06-01-2004, 02:34 PM
I had more highlight to start with but as is my habit I don't know when to stop and kept trying to get the skin tone to look natural. My highlights before seemed to pasty. What do you think? Any better?

Hi Sherry, yes it looks alot better, but still needs a bit of specularity. When I look at the sharp, bright catchlight in the eye and the specular lighting in the hair, my mind expects to see some specularity in the skin too.

I took this in to painter and did a quickie with the air brush. The goal was to try and tease out a bit of specularity in the skin. Always keep in mind the direction of the light when working on your shading. See how the brighter catchlight in the eye is to the viewers left... one would then expect the shadow under the neck to appear on the right side... and so forth.

Oh, and one thing... the neckline plunges low enough that one might expect to see a bit of detail hinting at the breasts (but not necessarily). I just focused on the shading... as I wouldn't dare alter your essential artwork.

Anyway, I hope you don't mind that took a moment to toy with the shading in your beautiful painting...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2004/30872-lady_day_shade.jpg

Chiers
06-01-2004, 05:24 PM
Thanks Joel. Yes your highlights look much better! I went back and gave it another go. Not quite as good as yours but I'm just going to have to call this one good. LOL the time has come!

I prefer the darker shadow under her chin where it is but see what you mean so I moved the highlight in her eye. As far as the indication of her breast I had the same idea when I origionally did this but I couldn't find a picture of her that indicated she had much of a breast so I left it as is.

That hand was driving me nuts. Shows a lack of planning really because I had intended for the painting to fade away by the time it got there but after I was done I realized that would mean fading away more of the dogs torso than i wanted to. So I redid the hand. It looked great with one exception, it was way to small. :eek: That's what I get for being in a hurry and not planning ahead. Believe it or not I really can do a fairly decent hand but at this point I was just tired of it, hence the elongated bow. LOL

What do you think?

JCoop
06-01-2004, 06:18 PM
Sherry, beautifully done! Also what you done with the breast bone is fabulous!... that little touch did wonders to add interest to that area. Your shading looks great. Take a bow!!! It's nice to move on, isn't it!

FYI: The june project has begun!

Duende
06-01-2004, 08:34 PM
Well Done Sherry!
Joel guided you nicely in this one. The dog is very sweet-faced too isn't he!
I also love Billie Holliday's work. I never forget the day my teen-aged daughter came home and told me that she had heard this "wonderful " singer, who's name was "Billy Holliday". I said "Yes she was wonderful, wasn't she." "Was", she said, "Darn it Mom, why is it every time I like a singer they are never alive anymore"! Apparently she had just discovered Roy Orbesen, (sp?) too!
Paddy.