PDA

View Full Version : K9Artist and Moi

Dark_Shades
05-31-2004, 11:34 AM
Well, Ive just had a lovely time meeting up with Dana (K9Artist), she's over here from Virginia on holiday, visiting her hubbies friends and relatives, and turned out her hubby didnt live that far away from me (30 mins drive appx) so we arranged to meet up.
Been a hot and sunny day here today, so we had a walk down to the river, which is not very far .... showed her the Church that I painted not long ago ... and we walked further on to the Mill and the Locks, and watched some canal boats going through them .... our hubbies even helped opening the locks.... Dana took lots of pics ..... so Im expecting to see some lovely art work of animals..... hey! I even took one that I might attempt..... those dreaded greens lol - We walked back through some woods.... lol we were all puffing and panting :) ..... sat out in the garden and had some beers ..... well they did, I didnt .... lol I dont drink beer...... thoroughly enjoyed it.... hubbie did too ..... we all chatted along as if we'd known each other years .... really are a nice, friendly chattie couple :D .. just my types lol ....
Ohhh and she kindly had bought me a couple of Pastel Journals... WOW, great stuff.. flicked through it, and saw Dee and Maggie.... and even our Crumby in there ..... will look forward to settling down and reading it all thoroughly...

A great enjoyable day..... Thanks Dana :) and Terry

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2004/12116-DanaandMe.jpg

Dark_Shades
05-31-2004, 11:39 AM
ohhhhh PS...... thats Dana on the left..... me on the right :D

Ohhh PPS ....... I didnt know we had turtles in our rivers :eek: ..... but we do .... lol... we saw one swimming along :)

stonewhiteclown
05-31-2004, 12:14 PM
Lucky you :clap:

ohhhhh PS...... thats Dana on the left..... me on the right :D
You look like sisters anyway :)

CarlyHardy
05-31-2004, 01:25 PM
What a great place to get together! That canal scene would make a great painting!! Sounds like all of you had a wonderful day....thanks for sharing your pic!

I know what you mean about feeling like you've known each other for ages...I always feel like that when I meet someone from WetCanvas!
carly

p.s. looking for those paintings, too!

prestonsega
05-31-2004, 03:09 PM
...How cool...Nice pic of ya"ll, ....and the canal background :cool: ...We don't have those here in Georgia, USA...

E-J
05-31-2004, 03:35 PM
Sounds lovely, Dawn. Whereabouts is the lock you visited? Didn't know you were near canals 'n stuff!

Khadres
05-31-2004, 05:49 PM
Awwwwww, I'm sooooooooo jealous! Which river, which locks? Which VILLAGE as far as that goes! LOL Anybody near Soham, Fordham, or Ely? Sighhhhhhhh...someday... Very nice pic! Glad y'all had a great time!

bnoonan
05-31-2004, 06:55 PM
How cool is that?? What a treat to see both your smiling faces together on a WC Union. The scenery looks beautiful though I hope you treated her to some wet weather too Dawn. It's only right isn't it?

Now... how about coming to California sometime?

Barb

Mo.
05-31-2004, 08:38 PM
I think this is great, that two artists from WC! and from either side of the puddle, get to meet up like this! Great pic Dawn and Dana, you both look so relaxed and happy.
Now who would like to come and visit Wales? I can put you up in the garden shed, free board.:D

Mo.:)

Khadres
06-01-2004, 12:59 AM
I think this is great, that two artists from WC! and from either side of the puddle, get to meet up like this! Great pic Dawn and Dana, you both look so relaxed and happy.
Now who would like to come and visit Wales? I can put you up in the garden shed, free board.:D

Mo.:)

Don't tempt me! :D I sure would if I could and I'd sleep in your car boot, no problem!

Stoy Jones
06-01-2004, 12:43 PM
Ahh..glad to "see" ya both! :clap:

Stoy

LesleyT
06-01-2004, 01:38 PM
That's so cool that you met up! :clap:

Thanks for posting your photo :) The canal paths are fantastic at the moment with all the flowers and people relaxing on their narrowboats.
It's always nice to be able to put names to faces too. Interesting to see whether you look how I imagined from your posts!

MKathleen
06-01-2004, 02:36 PM
:clap: Wonderful you two could meet I wish more of us Wet Canvas members could meet each other in person. I love the canal too neat colors and thank you for sharing the picture you two look great!

Mikki Petersen
06-02-2004, 01:34 AM
WooooHoooo! What a great day you must have had! I know the thing about feeling like you'd known each other for ages...when I met Barb Noonan last year, we both chattered so fast it made hubby laugh. He said he'd never seen me that way with a stranger (I'm kinda socially anxious). I said, "That's no stranger! I've known Barb a while now!" I think because we share our mutual passions here on the net, we really develop a link that allows us to chat easily because we've all experienced so much together already.

I get to meet AkaMorgie and SBJ next week when I go to Seattle. I can't wait! It will be definitely the high point of my trip.

The pic of the two of you is terrific, too..you really do look relaxed and comfortable with each other.

SweetBabyJ
06-02-2004, 02:33 AM
Bring the camera- and an umbrella, never know when it's going to rain. I like the idea of a bag handler- hahaha! We'll buy him lunch, anyway.

Neato-keeno, Dawn- and may I say "Nice hair!!" Looks like you two had a great time together.

I'm out- going camping/fishing for a few days- will take my stuff, but am mostly going to laze- I deserve lazing after getting ready to go.

Dyin
06-02-2004, 11:23 AM
How cool is that? You're both looking good!!! :clap:

Dark_Shades
06-02-2004, 03:03 PM
Hiya :)

EJ ... its Parndon Mill Lock .... you got me to thinking ...... where does this canal go .... quite interesting the history behind the canals .... they date back to 1425 !! :eek: ....... and you can get right into London along the Thames .....
Hey Sooz ... believe EJ is near Ely now
Ohhhh Mikki/SBJ ... ya gotta take pics to share :) .... I bet you'll have a whale of a time :)

It really is great meeting up with WC'ers .... such a common ground and mutual interest ...... so you are instantly friends :)

Dana will be tickled pink with the kind interest you have all shown .. HA!... one thing she doesnt know was that I was surprised by the pronounciation of her name .... we would of pronounced is as ..... DaRna ... but she pronounces it DaYna :) .... tomatoes...... tomatos ...... lol

We have talked since on the phone, and I believe she really enjoyed herself too ..... really was a lovely day

lol Lesley ..... and did I ha ha ha :evil:

.... well I got alllll inspired again to try those GREENS...... took a rather nice pic..... and promptly got frustrated with my efforts, ...... ripped it up and threw it in the bin!!! :mad: :p :) ..... Lesson learnt ..... use cheapo paper, not Art Spectrum while trying to do greens... I really am going to have to practise.. practise.... practise ....
I took my digi to work today, and took some shots from the roof top garden.... see how dang!! green it all is lol.... wahhhh .....

E-J
06-02-2004, 03:27 PM
Hey Sooz ... believe EJ is near Ely now

Yep ... in fact I am sooooooooooooooooo near Ely I'm actually in it :)

Hey, Dawn - why haven't WE met up yet??

Stoy Jones
06-02-2004, 03:34 PM
Lol...gee, your pics of your area looks just like it does here in Tennessee! :eek: I never would have 'thunk it'...although we have a ton of hills and mountains which makes driving from one place to another a pain. I've been itching to try a landscape, perhaps if the weather holds here, I'll get out and take some pics. Got an old grist mill nearby that is begging to be painted...on paper or canvas that is :D

I like the last two pics for painting, but go easy, that's a lot of greens to work through!

Stoy

Dark_Shades
06-02-2004, 04:23 PM

Coz, ya didnee wanna wahhhhh :crying: lol

..... hey Stoy lol ...... I feel abit like the saying ...... water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink ...... green, green, everywhere and not a leaf to paint ... lol

..... there is some lovely trees here ....... am sure a proper landscape painter could do wonders ..... been thinking perhaps try sketching some in colour and see how that goes

E-J
06-02-2004, 05:13 PM
Coz, ya didnee wanna wahhhhh :crying: lol

I did too!!

Right ... we will meet before 2004 is out.

Cool? :)

Dark_Shades
06-02-2004, 05:33 PM
I did too!!

Right ... we will meet before 2004 is out.

Cool? :)

yeahhhhh :clap:

lol, it may take the rest of the year if I have to travel by canal boat :)

Kathryn Wilson
06-03-2004, 01:23 PM
Hey Dawn and Dana! Great photo! It's a great idea for WC members to meet up like that - wish someone would come to North Carolina - next year maybe at the Pastel convention?

Dawn - love that 3rd photograph of the weeping trees. I do relate to your saying it's all a sea of green - North Carolina is like that too during the summer. It's looks great when it first starts getting green, but by August you are longing for some other colors.

Good to see the smiles!

Khadres
06-03-2004, 11:30 PM
Yep ... in fact I am sooooooooooooooooo near Ely I'm actually in it :)

Wow, LOVE that area! I'd dearly love to spend at day at Wicken Fen doing some plein air pastellin'. Daughter used to live within a stone's throw of there and we walked the dogs there every day; lovely spot. Used to correspond with the Wicken Fen warden for a long time, but they moved off to the Isle of Wight last I heard. Really nice folks.

Also remember taking the critters to the Blessing of the Animals at the cathedral; that was a hoot and a half! There was everthing from cows to snakes and everything in between -- the noise was definitely something to hear.

So....when can we expect a pastel of Ely Cathedral? That must be a "required" subject, surely! :D

Stoy Jones
06-03-2004, 11:56 PM
Hey Dawn and Dana! Great photo! It's a great idea for WC members to meet up like that - wish someone would come to North Carolina - next year maybe at the Pastel convention?

Say Kat, when and where exactly is that?? I'm only over the mountains and through the woods from you :) I may go that way sometime!

Stoy

Kathryn Wilson
06-04-2004, 12:35 AM
I think dee can back me up on this - 2005 the Pastel Society will hold its annual show/convention here in Raleigh. You have to be a member of a pastel organization that is a member of the society to attend the show.

dee - help me out here - I'm sure I'm saying this all wrong.

Kitty Wallis
06-04-2004, 12:47 AM
Here's a link to the IAPS website. This should take you right to the conventions page.
http://www.pastelinternational.com/conventions/

CarlyHardy
06-04-2004, 12:59 AM
Kat,
I will definitely be there for IAPS in 2005!

But will be in Chapel Hill sometime later in the summer or early fall! Will let you know. I'm looking forward to meeting you!!
carly

Kathryn Wilson
06-04-2004, 07:55 AM
Thanks Kitty! This is one convention I can't miss - I live in North Raleigh!

Carly - it will be exciting won't it - :D

E-J
06-04-2004, 08:00 AM
I'd dearly love to spend at day at Wicken Fen doing some plein air pastellin'.

Sooz - if you ever find yourself back in this area, I'd be more than happy to go out pastelling with you! My plein air options are limited as I don't drive, but we are already spoilt for pleasant painting spots right here in Ely.

Used to correspond with the Wicken Fen warden for a long time, but they moved off to the Isle of Wight last I heard.

Well, my husband's an Isle of Wighter and we visit my inlaws there two or three times a year ... maybe we've even crossed paths with your warden and not realised it! Is it a small world ... or is this just a small country? :D

So....when can we expect a pastel of Ely Cathedral? That must be a "required" subject, surely!

I've spied the occasional sketcher or watercolourist out by the cathedral but haven't got up the nerve to set up there myself, in front of the skateboarding youths of Ely who all hang out there. Got a few great morning shots of the cathedral that I could work from, though.

This thread has turned into a regular chatfest ... hope Dawn doesn't mind ... Imagine how much yakking we'd do if we DID all meet up in person!

Mo.
06-04-2004, 08:29 AM
Don't tempt me! I sure would if I could and I'd sleep in your car boot, no problem!

sooz, you'd have to share the boot with my dog, the shed is better, just spiders a few field mice and garden stuff in there.:D
Mo.

Khadres
06-04-2004, 10:23 AM
sooz, you'd have to share the boot with my dog, the shed is better, just spiders a few field mice and garden stuff in there.:D
Mo.

Well, I like dogs....still, you're probably right. Think of the garden theme still lifes I could do in the shed!

Khadres
06-04-2004, 10:30 AM
This thread has turned into a regular chatfest ... hope Dawn doesn't mind ... Imagine how much yakking we'd do if we DID all meet up in person!

Yep, we could set up at that pub alongside the river and yak, paint, imbibe a little cider and just generally have a good time!

I've promised myself at least one more trip over there before I croak....trouble is, they'll have to really work at it to get me to go home again!

soap
06-07-2004, 10:31 AM
LOL.........entertaining thread.........good to see you have a good time Dawn!!

EJ, dawn and others...remember last year we tried to meet up at Smudge's! where is Smudge nowadays.......haven't seen him around lately.

k9artist
06-07-2004, 11:21 AM
WoW!!! I cant believe there are this many replies to our lovely visit!! I finally have a few moments to get on the pc! It has been rather hectic since I have returned from our wonderful trip! (Dawn really made it extra nice!) We brought back with us my husbands niece and her boyfriend..
I decided before we left on our trip that I would get in touch with Dawn and see how far away she lived from my husbands old home in England..imagine my surprise..just a few miles away!! so...I thought it would be neat to actually meet someone on this wonderful forum (you guys are great). Like Dawn said..we had a lovely walk down to the canal and wonderful talk along the way! I am getting ready to go pick up the pics I took from our walk..hopefully they will come out well!! Maybe we can paint one of them together Dawn!! Or anyone else that would like to have a go! After our walk Dawn offered us some tea..I dont drink hot tea (iced tea..but the brits think that is gross) so I asked if they had a cold beer..nope..her husband was so nice as to walk down to the local store and get me one (or 4) Now thats a nice couple of people!!!!!!!!LOL Unfortunatly we didnt get enough time to do any plen aire painting..maybe next time Dawn..and we will paint using only greens!! LOL We both have the same mental block about foliage!!
I wont go on anymore but I do want to say it was very special to both Terry and I to meet this lovely couple ...it felt like we had known them for ages!
I hope we can stay in touch and come and visit you both again Dawn!!
I will post pics later!
Thanks Dawn and Geoff!!
Dana
PS I also got to see all of Dawns paintings in person!! Wonderful work!

Dark_Shades
06-09-2004, 06:45 PM
yes Soap...... I remember..... we got so close to all meeting up :crying: .... yes where is Smudger? .... he was moving to France, perhaps he left..... without saying goodbye..... wahhhh :crying:

Hey Dana..... there you are!!!...... was beginning to think I had frightened you off lololol .... will really look forward to seeing the pics ..... and yes will definately stay in touch, and you are both more than welcome any time.... we thoroughly enjoyed you and Terry's company

..... think on Guys about meeting up...... poor ol Dana, heard me WHINGING for REAL about GREENS ha ha ha ha :evil: :D

Great day Dana....... Many Thanks