PDA

View Full Version : Digital-Eiffel Tower after nuclear blast

stoney
05-31-2004, 11:31 AM
Graphics program (artrage-freebie pgrm) is meant to be used with a tablet not a mouse. Couple that with vastly degraded fine motor control and the end result is something on the whimsical side-so I 'ran' with whimsical. :)

JCoop
05-31-2004, 01:45 PM
Stoney, you've succeeded at whimsical! You're doing fine. Keep painting... that's the key. ...And get you a graphics tablet asap. Keep posting!

Michael
05-31-2004, 01:51 PM
I like the whimsical effect...LOL...I was playing around with art rage too and came up with this my first time around.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2004/31740-mmmm.jpg
I have found the more you play with it the better the control. But, I have taken to bringing the image over to PS7 or painter to finish up, after getting the broad idea on canvas in artrage.

Pretty darned good for no tablet there!!!!

stoney
05-31-2004, 06:18 PM
Stoney, you've succeeded at whimsical! You're doing fine. Keep painting... that's the key. ...And get you a graphics tablet asap. Keep posting!

Thank you! :) :) Graphics tablet will have to wait awhile. In the meantime, I sketch, draw, paint, draft, etc...it's playtime!

Quite the 180 degree turn from being an electronics tech!

stoney
05-31-2004, 06:20 PM
I like the whimsical effect...LOL...I was playing around with art rage too and came up with this my first time around.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2004/31740-mmmm.jpg
I have found the more you play with it the better the control. But, I have taken to bringing the image over to PS7 or painter to finish up, after getting the broad idea on canvas in artrage.

Pretty darned good for no tablet there!!!!

Oh sure, control comes with familiarity. And, Thank you. Part was done via the pencil setting and the rest of the tower via narrow brush.

Your piece was excellant. Can I grab a nap under that tree?

justjean
05-31-2004, 07:54 PM
Whimsical it is :) and much better than I can do in Artrage even with a
graphics tablet LOL

Michael
05-31-2004, 09:35 PM
Stoney,
I see a lot of potential with artrage. I also see where it can help us teach ourselves, forcing us to think and plan carefully before ever beginning.

Go ahead, crash under the umbrella, grab yourself a beer and relax!

Jet
05-31-2004, 10:45 PM
Stoney, my friend...
you need a wacom tablet ,... and you'll love the difference..
..remember it's not easy to draw with "the brick"... :D

Regards

stoney
06-01-2004, 12:04 PM
Whimsical it is :) and much better than I can do in Artrage even with a
graphics tablet LOL

Let's hear it for whimsical art! :))

stoney
06-01-2004, 12:12 PM
Stoney,
I see a lot of potential with artrage. I also see where it can help us teach ourselves, forcing us to think and plan carefully before ever beginning.

Go ahead, crash under the umbrella, grab yourself a beer and relax!

Agreed. Someone also mentioned another program; "Project Dogwaffle." A fully functional earlier version (newest version is 2) has been released to freeware. It can be downloaded from Tucows.

Thank yea, kindly. /me settles in under the umbrella.... :)

stoney
06-01-2004, 12:20 PM
Stoney, my friend...
you need a wacom tablet ,... and you'll love the difference..
..remember it's not easy to draw with "the brick"... :D

Regards

:))) Oh, I know it isn't easy to draw with the brick-and with bad fine-motor control it's harder yet.

I'm doing some digging on tablets.

Jet
06-02-2004, 11:06 AM
:))) Oh, I know it isn't easy to draw with the brick-and with bad fine-motor control it's harder yet.

I'm doing some digging on tablets.

Stoney,
Go Wacom !!

A 4x5 little wonder at $99, can't be beat.... ;)
:cool:

stoney
06-02-2004, 01:30 PM
Stoney,
Go Wacom !!

A 4x5 little wonder at $99, can't be beat.... ;)
:cool:

I saw that, but I'm wondering if that isn't on the too small side.
Would the 6 x 8 be better? or perhaps the intros2 9 x 12?

justjean
06-02-2004, 01:36 PM
Stoney the 4x 5 works great, mine is an old wacom called a pen partner 4 x5 and it does everything I need , but if you want some bells and whistles and have the desk/whatever space then move on up :)

themanda
06-02-2004, 01:46 PM
imo, 4x5 is all you need. i've got a graphire II at home and work...used it for nearly 3 years now and nary a problem. for about a year i had an aiptek 9x12 at home; you assume bigger is better, right? at first it was okay, but after a few months it was just too big...after about a year i truly started to hate it. you had to move your arm too much. it was really tiring and hard to make fluid, even strokes.

it's like the difference between driving a big old classic cadillac and a zippy little sports car. really.

i love my little graphire.

Michael
06-02-2004, 01:53 PM
One Word: GRAPHIRE THREE!!! :D

Jet
06-02-2004, 04:04 PM
Yep Michael...2 words :D :angel:

Stoney i agree with Amanda.
The larger tablets make your "canvas" larger so you'll have to travel farther from point to point, which might be desirable to those used at drawing in large blocks.

I have a 6x8 and i had to reduce its sensible surface to meet a 4x5, the i wqent on and bought a 4x5 and it's all i use.

Besides, a 6x8 costs 350 us dlls against 99 us dlls for a 4x5....
that's our experience with the tablets , but the last word is yours..

Regards

stoney
06-02-2004, 04:40 PM
Stoney the 4x 5 works great, mine is an old wacom called a pen partner 4 x5 and it does everything I need , but if you want some bells and whistles and have the desk/whatever space then move on up :)

I'm not much for 'bells and whistles' or the 'bigger is better' mindset. I was trying to look 'down the road a ways.' I'd rather buy something once, and 'grow into it' rather than have to buy something twice. A picture with a maximum size of 4 x 5 inches is on the small side.

Does it scroll up/down side-to-side for larger pictures?
Hmmm....might be an idea to bounce into town tomorrow and test one out.

Michael
06-02-2004, 04:41 PM

One word and one number :mad: Hmmph :D

Stoney,

I think you will find the that most use the graphire3 here. Another consideration is desktop space. I have a larger intuoso, and to be honest, I am not real sure where I put it up. It has been so long sinse I used it. Once I bought the Graphire3 I knew that the "better, bigger" Intuoso was just going to be a back-up...LOL...which it really didn't turn out being anyway. I have a nephew who destroyed my G3 with an old metal Tonka truck and just went and bought another one instead of looking for the Intuoso.
Now, before you start to worry about quality and durability, it took him more than an hour to do this, and it was my fault to I suppose. I heard the banging but was watching a race :D Besides, even cracked it would have probably still worked if he didn'r rip the cord out and cut it :mad:

stoney
06-02-2004, 04:42 PM
imo, 4x5 is all you need. i've got a graphire II at home and work...used it for nearly 3 years now and nary a problem. for about a year i had an aiptek 9x12 at home; you assume bigger is better, right? at first it was okay, but after a few months it was just too big...after about a year i truly started to hate it. you had to move your arm too much. it was really tiring and hard to make fluid, even strokes.

it's like the difference between driving a big old classic cadillac and a zippy little sports car. really.

i love my little graphire.

Excellant comparison, Amanda. Thank you. :)
(or the difference between a F-4 Phantom II and an F-16..) :))

stoney
06-02-2004, 04:44 PM

Stoney i agree with Amanda.
The larger tablets make your "canvas" larger so you'll have to travel farther from point to point, which might be desirable to those used at drawing in large blocks.

I have a 6x8 and i had to reduce its sensible surface to meet a 4x5, the i wqent on and bought a 4x5 and it's all i use.

Besides, a 6x8 costs 350 us dlls against 99 us dlls for a 4x5....
that's our experience with the tablets , but the last word is yours..

Regards

Understood. I'll meander into town tomorrow and 'test drive' a 4 x 5.
Thank you all. :)

themanda
06-02-2004, 04:48 PM
I'm not much for 'bells and whistles' or the 'bigger is better' mindset. I was trying to look 'down the road a ways.' I'd rather buy something once, and 'grow into it' rather than have to buy something twice. A picture with a maximum size of 4 x 5 inches is on the small side.

Does it scroll up/down side-to-side for larger pictures?
Hmmm....might be an idea to bounce into town tomorrow and test one out.

have you ever used a tablet before?

stop thinking of it in terms of photo size, because that's really not relevant at all. what you're dealing with when you say 4x5 is the surface area the stylus can operate on while interacting with the tablet. so when it says it has an area of 4x5, that means that the stylus will be active and able to manipulate the mouse anywhere within that relative size on the tablet itself.

basically, the 4x5 graphire tablet is about the same size as your standard mousepad with the active area being in the middle, where you'd typically move your mouse. if you are already accustomed to working within that area and don't typically feel the need to continue moving your mouse waaaaay out to the left or the right while you're working, you probably won't feel the need to do so with a stylus.

themanda
06-02-2004, 04:52 PM
Understood. I'll meander into town tomorrow and 'test drive' a 4 x 5.
Thank you all. :)

looks like we posted at the same time. :)

you really should try one out. it'll make things a lot more clear for you. be prepared for the stylus to feel a little strange at first. you'd think it would be the same as writing with a pen or signing your name on those credit card dealios, but it's different. :) just feels odd and sort of out of place for a few days until you learn how to drive it. it very quickly becomes a natural tool, though.

stoney
06-02-2004, 04:57 PM
One word and one number :mad: Hmmph :D

Stoney,

I think you will find the that most use the graphire3 here. Another consideration is desktop space. I have a larger intuoso, and to be honest, I am not real sure where I put it up. It has been so long sinse I used it. Once I bought the Graphire3 I knew that the "better, bigger" Intuoso was just going to be a back-up...LOL...which it really didn't turn out being anyway. I have a nephew who destroyed my G3 with an old metal Tonka truck and just went and bought another one instead of looking for the Intuoso.
Now, before you start to worry about quality and durability, it took him more than an hour to do this, and it was my fault to I suppose. I heard the banging but was watching a race :D Besides, even cracked it would have probably still worked if he didn'r rip the cord out and cut it :mad:

Space? Desktop space? A 'sardine can' would be the wide-open spaces. Durability and reliability wasn't a factor. If it was, I'm sure I would have heard 'screaming in rage' from various sources... :)

stoney
06-02-2004, 05:05 PM
have you ever used a tablet before?

stop thinking of it in terms of photo size, because that's really not relevant at all. what you're dealing with when you say 4x5 is the surface area the stylus can operate on while interacting with the tablet. so when it says it has an area of 4x5, that means that the stylus will be active and able to manipulate the mouse anywhere within that relative size on the tablet itself.

basically, the 4x5 graphire tablet is about the same size as your standard mousepad with the active area being in the middle, where you'd typically move your mouse. if you are already accustomed to working within that area and don't typically feel the need to continue moving your mouse waaaaay out to the left or the right while you're working, you probably won't feel the need to do so with a stylus.

I've never seen a tablet-other than in photos. The only 'drawing with a mouse' I've done (other than once doing something in the BBS days with a program called RipTerm (iirc)) was this whimsical one.

Ok. It sounds like the 4 x 5 area is the active area being worked on. So, if your whole picture is, say 8 x 10, you're only able to work within any 4 x 5 area at a time. That's very doable. I was thinking the active area was the total available working area.

stoney
06-02-2004, 05:07 PM
looks like we posted at the same time. :)

you really should try one out. it'll make things a lot more clear for you. be prepared for the stylus to feel a little strange at first. you'd think it would be the same as writing with a pen or signing your name on those credit card dealios, but it's different. :) just feels odd and sort of out of place for a few days until you learn how to drive it. it very quickly becomes a natural tool, though.

:) :) :) simultaneous postings, imo, come under the heading 'occupational hazard.' Sure, familiarity helps. Thank you. :)

themanda
06-02-2004, 05:14 PM
Ok. It sounds like the 4 x 5 area is the active area being worked on. So, if your whole picture is, say 8 x 10, you're only able to work within any 4 x 5 area at a time. That's very doable. I was thinking the active area was the total available working area.

well...not really. :)

look at it this way: you've got an 8x10 image at 300 dpi open in whatever graphics program you use. you have any of a number of ways to look at it on screen, right? you can fit to screen, view at 100%, or zoom way in to see detail. using your stylus and tablet, you can manipulated anything that's visible on your screen. so, if you've got the image sized to fit, you can work on that entire image at one time. if you got it zoomed in to 500%, you can work on that section.

the dimensions of the tablet *only* refer to how far the stylus can go from point A to point B *on the tablet*. that doesn't directly relate to how far it moves on the screen. once you've calibrated your tablet, the workable area becomes equal to the viewable, editable area of your screen. that's why i say that the 9x12 tablet makes your arm too tired...you're not increasing the productive area of the tablet at all...you're just increasing the distance between point A and B.