PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Sketches 31 May - 6 June

E-J
05-31-2004, 09:50 AM
Welcome to yet another week of pastel sketches!

This thread is open to EVERYONE working in pastels. Its aim is to encourage us all to fit some pastelling into our week by doing relatively quick studies which take anything up to an hour to complete. Set your timer for 25 mins, 45, 60, or anywhere in between, let the pastel dust fly and when your time is up, STOP, and share your efforts with us here!

Regular sketching to a time limit sharpens your observational skills and forces you to make rapid decisions as you explore ways of using your pastels. Sketch directly from life or from a photo - it's up to you - and feel free to post as many of your sketches as you like. This is a 'no-pressure' thread where you do NOT have to concern yourself with producing a masterpiece - it's simply about getting your fingers gunky and having a go! Practice, as they say, makes perfect.

Last week got off to a slow start but we had plenty of participation as the week went on:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191178

Happy sketching :)

Stoy Jones
06-01-2004, 12:38 PM
My schedule has been insane lately with all the drawing, painting, and studying to do those things better!...Not much time for sketching, but I did a 30 minute study this morning of Waterhouse's "Ophelia" in a 9x12 pastel on the infinitely notorious brown paper :evil:

Stoy

DominicM
06-01-2004, 03:42 PM
Oil rig, glad you say it didnt have to be a masterpiece...

30 Mins, Rexel Derwent Pastels on 4x6 scrap paper.

Stoy Jones
06-01-2004, 03:48 PM
Dominic, right, no masterpieces necessary, but I like this piece of work you did. Great atmosphere with all the warm colors...almost a watercolor feel to it! Job well done!

Stoy

E-J
06-01-2004, 04:32 PM
Nice one, Stoy! I recognised her straight away. I was a big fan of the Pre-Raphs in my teens (and still am) - especially of those sweet little faces that Waterhouse was so good at. This is super for such a short time. It has a grainier texture than your usual works on brown paper - did you use a different technique?

Dominic, welcome to the sketch thread. I think your oil rig is a first here :) I like it! It really reminds me of Monet's 'Impression: Sunrise' - did you have that in mind when you did it?

Khadres
06-01-2004, 05:44 PM
My schedule has been insane lately with all the drawing, painting, and studying to do those things better!...Not much time for sketching, but I did a 30 minute study this morning of Waterhouse's "Ophelia" in a 9x12 pastel on the infinitely notorious brown paper :evil:

Stoy

Oh, I really like this! You caught the moodiness so well! Maybe brown paper is good for that sort of thing? :evil:

Khadres
06-01-2004, 05:46 PM
Oil rig, glad you say it didnt have to be a masterpiece...

30 Mins, Rexel Derwent Pastels on 4x6 scrap paper.

I agree on the Monet thing! Looks like sunset or sunrise...you guys and your scrap paper seem to do very well indeed!

Stoy Jones
06-01-2004, 08:16 PM
Nice one, Stoy! I recognised her straight away. I was a big fan of the Pre-Raphs in my teens (and still am) - especially of those sweet little faces that Waterhouse was so good at. This is super for such a short time. It has a grainier texture than your usual works on brown paper - did you use a different technique?

Dominic, welcome to the sketch thread. I think your oil rig is a first here :) I like it! It really reminds me of Monet's 'Impression: Sunrise' - did you have that in mind when you did it?

Lol..you noticed...yes, experimenting by spraying fixitive on the paper first and got a lot of tooth there, probably enough to keep layering if I wanted to keep working this more. I got her lips way too dark, but had trouble with the tooth making detail a bit tough. Oh well, I might have a go at more of his work for the sketches!

Thanks Sooz!!

Stoy

dragonlady
06-02-2004, 01:33 AM
Canada goose - 60 minutes 8"x10" on sanded paper.

Colours are a bit off - didn't have a nice subtle brown for the wings. This is from a set of photos I took last year.

Kitty Wallis
06-02-2004, 02:07 AM

Colours are a bit off - didn't have a nice subtle brown for the wings. This is from a set of photos I took last year.

Nice work in 60 min. You can make a subtle brown by using another color with the Burnt Sienna(?) you have. What color would you mix with Burnt Sienna to get the brown you want? When you use that second color with the brown you have, either scumbled or bolder strokes, the viewer's eye will mix it for you.

stonewhiteclown
06-02-2004, 05:21 AM
Stoy, you're so good at portraits! Must write a book someday! Just reserve one for me at discount :D
Paper :D ROTFL

E-J
06-02-2004, 08:29 AM
Joy - this is a really nice piece. I would love to see how the water ripples develop if you take it any further.

Stoy, so you're working on the smoothest paper known to man but spraying it with gallons of fixative to give it some tooth. You're insane. But you get terrific results :)

dragonlady
06-02-2004, 09:46 AM
Joy - this is a really nice piece. I would love to see how the water ripples develop if you take it any further.

I think I will, and I'll work on the colour too. Kitty - thanks for the advice.

Khadres
06-02-2004, 01:02 PM

Cool goose! I'm fond of geese and swans...as painting subjects, not lunch guests, if you get my meaning (having had both species try to steal picnic lunches from me in several picturesque locales).

You spooked me there for a minute....I thought my mum-in-law had suddenly developed an interest in art! Must be a different "dragonlady", thank heavens! :D

Looking forward to more of your paintings.

Stoy Jones
06-02-2004, 03:45 PM
Stoy, so you're working on the smoothest paper known to man but spraying it with gallons of fixative to give it some tooth. You're insane. But you get terrific results :)

Lol!...insane??? Well, I suppose that's a given :evil: :D Actually, it took one coat and I let it sit for a few days...I'll fool around some more and build on it.

Alex, lol..thankyou! I have you penciled in :D

Drangonlady, great looking goose pic! Beautiful job on the water, looks great from the thumbnail pic! :clap:

Stoy

E-J
06-02-2004, 06:37 PM
OK Stoy ... 'insane' was a bit harsh. Will you settle for 'moderately deranged'? ;)

Didn't have much time left this evening but I did fit in a quickie - 6x9" Conté soft pastels on La Carte, based on the same ref photo I used for my recent cat portrait (needed a sketching subject in a hurry!) I surprised myself by managing to complete this in 35 mins, but I guess working small helps.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2004/13865-02jun04.jpg

By the way, some of you will have noticed that the Oil Pastel Studio forum now has a sketch thread of its own, with a time limit of 2 hours. However, as the regular Weekly Sketches are not exclusively intended for soft pastels, oil pastellists are still very welcome to post their sketches here if they wish!

Stoy Jones
06-02-2004, 08:17 PM
Woohoo... I knew you squeeze one in!... and is it terribly good! Small perhaps, but the detail is smashing for that size. Great looking eyes and the fur looks like it needs brushing..just excellent!

OK Stoy ... 'insane' was a bit harsh. Will you settle for 'moderately deranged'?

I don't know, it all sounds so good!! :p :D

Stoy

CarlyHardy
06-02-2004, 08:35 PM
I'm playing in the oil this week! Here's my contribution to the weekly sketch thread (thanks, EJ!)....

9 x 12 on Terra Cotta ArtSpectrum paper
Oil Pastels
Time: 1 hour

Still have some darks and touches to add but I made myself stop! :)
carly

Dyin
06-02-2004, 09:58 PM
Oh, Carly...you got better highlights with this one...you look like an old pro with them! Great kitty E-J...gosh 35 minutes is fast! Love all of yours too, Dominic, Stoy and Dragonlady! If I can get as fast as an hour I'll post here too...geesh Carly...you're the quickest study I ever saw! :eek:

Khadres
06-02-2004, 10:16 PM
I'm playing in the oil this week! Here's my contribution to the weekly sketch thread (thanks, EJ!)....

9 x 12 on Terra Cotta ArtSpectrum paper
Oil Pastels
Time: 1 hour

Still have some darks and touches to add but I made myself stop! :)
carly

Yeesh! Wish MY foray into oilies had gone half this well! Lovely technique, this doesn't look waxy at all! One question....do you ever sleep???? :D

Oh, and btw....I've been hunting your article thingy on making your own pastels all day and haven't hit the search right YET! Any clues?

Khadres
06-02-2004, 10:18 PM
OK Stoy ... 'insane' was a bit harsh. Will you settle for 'moderately deranged'? ;)

Didn't have much time left this evening but I did fit in a quickie - 6x9" Conté soft pastels on La Carte, based on the same ref photo I used for my recent cat portrait (needed a sketching subject in a hurry!) I surprised myself by managing to complete this in 35 mins, but I guess working small helps.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Jun-2004/13865-02jun04.jpg

Aww that expression! Makes me miss my Mr. Goodkitty all over again! Sniff! Beautifully done!

prestonsega
06-02-2004, 11:49 PM
Man, there's a lot of quality work being put out in this and the op sketch threads...Seems like everyone has been re-energized.

This is my 1 hr of a still life a friend set up for us to paint (I've recruited her to pastels.....dang near tied her down and put a sheet of Wallis in front of her...as usual, the dust was flying and sticks breaking right down to the 60th minute! I think with a little more work, it will be a keeper.

9"x 12" soft pastel on Wallis

Dyin
06-03-2004, 12:53 AM
ooh, scruptious highlights, Preston! Really, must be something in the air...I can't believe you did all this in an HOUR!!! It's great! :clap:

Stoy Jones
06-03-2004, 01:24 AM
Carly and Preston, :clap: yup, this is what it's about! Well done, incredibly good stuff!!...both look like final pieces in the making!

Come on Dyin, you can hold your own at the OK Corral..just be quick on the draw :D

Stoy

prestonsega
06-03-2004, 01:25 AM
Sue...yes,I did this in only an hour...when you analyze the still life, one realizes it is only a series of simple spheres in dramatic lighting (even the pitcher is an elongated sphere).. Having added a set of darks to my collection of pastels has helped my painting more than one would think......makes it easy to establish the composition pronto.

There is an excitement in the air. Not only are the established WC'ers kicking it, but we are seeing a lot of energetic new members coming on board creating some really good works!

I've come in the thread so late this week that I won't address each artist individually, but just know that I'm impressed by all the sketches.

E-J
06-03-2004, 09:11 AM
Carly, this is very, very pretty. What a delicate touch you have with your oil pastels.

Another 60-minute masterpiece from Preston!! A keeper, most definitely. What else will you add to this? Perhaps a touch more variety of colour to the folds of the drape? I suspect this is another still life that will deserve its own thread.

EdK
06-03-2004, 10:07 AM
Carly - I just love your flower arrangements. Always so fresh and vibrant. I'll have to try some and get pointers from you.

E.J. - That cat looks so real I think my dogs would chase it. Love the eyes.

Preston - Looks like you got simplification down to an art form. (lol). I think the time limit on the sketches has produced great dividends.

EdK
06-03-2004, 10:51 PM
Well, this one started off as a sketch but ran a little over the time limit. Preston suggested I post it in the sketch thread anyway, so here it is. (It also has it's own thread in the softie studio).

prestonsega
06-03-2004, 11:01 PM
This is great...I usually lean towards bright color, but the rich sepia / ochre tones are so perfect....the rocks are phenomenal. The sketch thread is a great motivator as evidenced by your work. :clap:

E-J
06-04-2004, 04:55 AM
Beautiful work, Ed! I'll go to the separate thread to comment more fully.

binkie
06-04-2004, 03:51 PM
Wow! The sketches are awesome!!!!

A friend of mine whose rescue group put on a pet adoption fair asked me to do a pet portrait for their raffle. Below is the rough of the winner's dog. Still have a lot to do.

I fudged a little. It took a little over an hour.

Dyin
06-04-2004, 04:20 PM
yikes Binkie...you're getting good at this pastel stuff..even if you DO fudge! :p

prestonsega
06-04-2004, 04:44 PM
I fudged a little. .

Careful when you mention " fudge" around these folks...There's more than one sweet tooth in this bunch! :D

What a great pose....You've really captured his alert expression...NICE!

E-J
06-04-2004, 08:00 PM
Gwen, that looks beautiful for an hour - the raffle winner is a lucky person. Pssst, which bit did you fudge? (Like I know what 'fudge' means?!) :)

By the way, Preston, did you get my PM this evening? When I sent it my screen seemed to hang in suspended animation for 5 mins ... let me know if you received it ... and if you didn't, the gist of it was that everything's cool :)

binkie
06-04-2004, 10:01 PM
Thanks Sue, Preston and E-J!

Dogs are my passion! I've learned a lot about color from all you fabulous artists. This is the first dog in which I've used purples, blues and magentas.
This is such a great site!!!

gwen

Khadres
06-04-2004, 11:00 PM
Adorable pooch! He reminds me of the lost one in that commercial! You did a great job and I look forward to seeing many more canids from you!

CarlyHardy
06-05-2004, 12:15 AM
My last sketch for the week....I went over to the pond behind our local library today for an hour of painting time...noticed when passing by earlier that the pond scum was looking good :)

Size 12x9, Art Spectrum terra cotta, Oil Pastels, 1 hour

no blending, and its rather dark! I painted with my sunglasses on :D
carly

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jun-2004/250-060404pondscumatlibrary.jpg

CarlyHardy
06-05-2004, 12:19 AM
Binkie, I know the pet adoption group will be so excited when they see your painting! I think you should call him "Fudge" :)
carly

Dyin
06-05-2004, 12:20 AM
someone is having a lot of fun with the oilies!!! You got a cool sparkle going there and who knew pond scum could look so cool? :eek: :cool:

prestonsega
06-05-2004, 01:39 AM
Carly, I am just learning to appreciate what OP artists do, so believe me when I say "WOW". :) I would find it a challenge to cover a 9"x 12" support with ops in only 1 hour. much less produce a beautiful work. Very nice!

E-J
06-05-2004, 05:31 AM
Carly, that's a lovely plein air! I can see the influence of Sarback, perhaps ... The texture left by not blending gives it sparkle. Scum looks beautiful through your eyes :)

DominicM
06-05-2004, 05:45 AM
Does'nt look too dark to me Carly, love the contrast :cool:

One day I really will have to learn how to paint water...

Khadres
06-06-2004, 03:14 AM
Great scum, Carly! If the stuff looked THAT good ALL the time, we'd invent a different word! :D Just goes to show, beauty can be found in just about anything, eh?