PDA

View Full Version : Oranges and orchid

Cronious
05-31-2004, 09:16 AM
This is an X post from the Still life forum,

It sorta turned impressionist with out me noticing, but I like the effect so kept it. Not too sure if it is finished, I will leave it for a while come back and see if I still like it :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2004/37495-crn-orchid-and-oranges-02.jpg

Thanks for viewing, comments and feedback welcome as always.

flowerfancy58
05-31-2004, 10:22 AM
I like it Cron, as you say it's very impressionistic:) Nice still!

gloria

bloodjelly
05-31-2004, 11:15 AM
Terriffic colors and I like the impressionistic strokes. My only suggestions are adding more darks, and giving the plant more definition in the front leaf, close to the right edge. Its placement is ambiguous. And the highlights (left side of the fruit) seem incongrous with the shadows (off to the left of the fruit, as if the light was hitting from the right side) But really good painting, lots of fun. :D

Michael
05-31-2004, 01:09 PM
I love the way the orange jumps off the page at me...great texture here also!

JCoop
05-31-2004, 01:40 PM
Crone, love your brush stokes!!! You are getting so expressive with them. They create dynamic motion throughout your still life. You are painting with confidence! Nice work!

peoplepainter
05-31-2004, 02:42 PM
I'm with Jcoop. I love the brush strokes. Sure looks time consuming to me. I would also like to see more colors mixed in. It's wonderful as it is but I would love to see lots of subtle color changes. For example, with those cool brush strokes on the leaves, I wonder what mixing in some purples for shadows, yellow greens or even yellow oranges for highlights, etc. Maybe a purple shadow fo rthe oranges. I like it now, but I am curious what even more color would do. I admire those painterly strokes. Wish I had the patience for them..and the ability to stop when I am ahead.

Impressive impressionism!

Lisa

Michael
05-31-2004, 02:49 PM
Well.....I guess I am going to be the only voice of dissent here. I don't think you should have any more color, changes in color of anything more saturated than you do now. I believe that would take away from the intricate background, the texture in the leaves, and make the orange look muted...But..That is just my thoughts :D

peoplepainter
05-31-2004, 02:54 PM
Oh I don't want to be misunderstood and I am sorry. I love it now the way it is. Don't ruin this one. Just maybe start one with an extra layer to see what can be done with more color. Just for fun. Oh, and not muted colors. Clean ones. More cools in the shadows, warms in the highlights. Just a thought.

Cronious
05-31-2004, 03:32 PM
Thank you all for your commets and suggestions

I am byno means finished on this one. Having looked at it in B+W I noticed that my tones are not right in some areas. I need to bring out the bright and dark, give it some contast, but not loose the general feeling that is there.

I really appreciate the votes of confidence here, they mean a lot and I know that in time my art will be where I want it.

The impressionist feel to this image was tottaly accidental but I must say I have always admired and loved impressionism so maybe this way just a logical step for me :D

I think as many have echoed my thought (are you reading my mind?) that the plant needs some serious work.

Lisa, Thanks for the advise on different colours to use in the leaves. We will have to see how this pans out

Bloodjelly, ( I wish I knew your name..) I agree that there maybe conflicting lighting here. Your thoughts are appreciated and noted.

Joel, From a master this it is always nice to get a vote. Thank you for your thoughts on this image.... with every image I feel that I grow more as an artist, your comment was gratefully recieved, Thank you

Redwater, Thanks for the comments. My main worry here though my fear was that the back ground would command too much attention, don't get me wrong I love my BG, but I just need it too be complemetary to the still life. I am glad that the oranges stood out, so I am half way there..... so much to learn,..... so far to go as an artist. Enjoying every moment.

One thing I will say is the colours that are added from here inwards will probably be more subtle.

Thanks alll for your thoughts, each has given me something to think about.

Regards with thanks

Chiers
05-31-2004, 05:56 PM
Very nice Cron. And definately impressionistic.

JulieBoyles
05-31-2004, 06:05 PM
I really like this Cronious! I like the way you used complementary colors and the composition works well too. I'm not an expert on composition by the way, I just like what you've done here!

Can't wait to see more of it!

Julie

justjean
05-31-2004, 08:01 PM
Cronious I like it the way it is the colour, composition and textures :)

Jet
06-01-2004, 11:34 AM
.....Clare Van Gogh........
i like it as it is very much..

...when i see this style it reminds me of Van Gogh, so i relate it
with strong hues and bright, wild colors just for kicks..

Regards

Cronious
06-01-2004, 12:58 PM
Thanks for your comments.

Well, I have done a bit more to this, I am not sure about the leaves, but am more pleased with the tonal quality.

Hey, I migght move on now, I feel this one has taken me very far, but you know what I mean................

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jun-2004/37495-crn_orchid-and-oranges-3.jpg

Thanks for viewing

themanda
06-01-2004, 01:18 PM
i really like this! you're really making painter sing, aren't you?

this is totally print worthy. i hope you frame it!

Duende
06-01-2004, 08:55 PM
Sorry Chronius,
I'm going to put the "cat among the pidgeons" and say "I liked the first one!"
It was bright and fresh and very pleasant to look at. I love your brush work. I so admire artists who can do this impressionist work. I always start out to try to do the impressionist "thing" and end up back in my old "realistic" box.
Paddy

flowerfancy58
06-01-2004, 09:04 PM
Yes I like it too,but feel you didn't need to anything more..... the first one was well done:) I know what you mean about moving on though, lol!

gloria