PDA

View Full Version : My First Nude...

JCoop
05-31-2004, 02:30 AM
Hi all. This is the first nude I have ever painted. I was inspired by Jet's thread in which we discussed the possibilities of creating a project around the "nude" theme. I thought I'd go ahead and try my hand at one.

Usually when I get to this stage in a painting, I begin to blend and work out the details... I thought for this subject I would just stop here and keep it "rough" with no blending. With my short attention span, this was a welcomed change, as it cut my painting time in half! :D

Digital _Painter 8

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2004/30872-nude_norm.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-May-2004/30872-nude_close.jpg

Michael
05-31-2004, 02:53 AM
Joel,
The "rougher" look goes very well with the darker setting here.

pretty darned good for a first nude I would think :evil:

flowerfancy58
05-31-2004, 10:24 AM
Well done Joel! I like the way she is faded out and shadowed.....Adds some mystery to this painting:) She looks great and makes you conjure up what she may be thinking.

gloria:)

bloodjelly
05-31-2004, 11:11 AM
Nice job on your first nude :clap: I third that the darkness and roughness add interest to the painting. Everything looks great but the focal point are her breasts. Was that your intention? Doesn't bother me, since my eye moves around the composition anyway. :)

Jet
05-31-2004, 01:15 PM
Usually when I get to this stage in a painting, I begin to blend and work out the details... I thought for this subject I would just stop here and keep it "rough" with no blending. With my short attention span, this was a welcomed change, as it cut my painting time in half! :D

Joel,
as you already know i love "unfinished" work...
...-for me-, it adds to the representational skill more than "explaining" it all with a photorealistical painting (aside from easy or hard issues).
It's like the bible, just the rough strokes, and you get your own meaning from there...
***-just my very own, old and crazed-out-brain opinion-

I love it !!
:cool:

JCoop
05-31-2004, 01:25 PM
Thanks compadres!

Michael, glad you like the unblended look of the painting. I was only too glad to leave it rough. :D Fortunately, guaging by your responses, its didn't turn out to be a distraction. Thanks for looking!

Hi Gloria, very thoughtful response. I was trying to create a bit of intrigue... glad you approve. I found it's not as easy as it seem to create something tasteful and not taudry :eek:

Trevor, thanks for weighing in. I was just trying to create a feeling and focus the light on the upper half of the body. I think that the reason her breast probably catch your eye first is because the contrasting nipples seem so prominent.

Thanks all!

JCoop
05-31-2004, 01:31 PM
Joel,
as you already know i love "unfinished" work...
...-for me-, it adds to the representational skill more than "explaining" it all with a photorealistical painting (aside from easy or hard issues).
It's like the bible, just the rough strokes, and you get your own meaning from there...
***-just my very own, old and crazed-out-brain opinion-

I love it !!
:cool:

Jet, looks like we posted at the same time.
I'm glad you appreciate the unblended attributes. I, myself, really like this stage of a painting. It is sort of a roadmap to the finished piece. I know I'd get a lot more done if clients felt the same way! :D Very insightful response... thanks!

Andrew Rance
05-31-2004, 09:49 PM
Joel - this is great! I particularly like the colour palette and the tonal values. Was it painted from scratch, or a reference pic?

themanda
06-01-2004, 11:05 AM
i also like the unblended quality of this. nice juxtaposition, imo, of rough texture against smooth skin.

this is terrific! is there anything you can't do??? LOL

JCoop
06-01-2004, 02:52 PM
Hi Andrew, thanks! I found a reference on the internet. I painted my image quite a bit differently, as to not violate any copyrights. I would post the ref, but again I might be in violation.

Manda, you are too kind. You'll find that painting boils down to observation. I believe that if one can paint a flower, then on can paint a face... and so on. It's really about seeing. Once the technical skills are learned, the hard part is seeing.

Thanks guys!

Duende
06-01-2004, 09:21 PM
Hi Joel,
Lovely job, as usual. I have a few observations, and I hope you won't think I'm being too critical. First, the line that runs down the center of the breast-bone seems a little off to me, (perhaps a little too much to the right,) or is it that the left side of the rib area is too wide..not too sure about that?Secondly, the bright spot of light next to the body has rather a hard edge and seems to take the eye and hold it. Would it not be better if it were sort of merged into the background? Tell me what you think.
Paddy

JCoop
06-01-2004, 10:47 PM
Paddy, I invite your critical observation and you are right on both points. I do see what you mean about the line. I don't know if it's the shading or the angle, but it seems off a bit. :confused:

I think have two ways to go in respect to the bright spot next to the body. I could loose the edge like you said, or I could ramp down the values in the light spot so that it doesn't compete so much with the similar tones at the edge of the body. Do you have a preference?

Paddy, thanks for extremely insightful observations!

Duende
06-02-2004, 06:52 PM
Hi Joel,
I don't pretend to be an expert here, but I think I would subtley blend the dark colour into that spot from the outside edge. I wonder if, (since the arms are up over her head,) there should be a small indent in the line under the ribcage on that side. I would love to see a model lying in that position so we could see exactly what is going on there. Thank goodness for "save as" Hey Joel? You can actually try it out and not ruin the painting in the process!
I will be interested to see the finished article. Paddy

Chrisjc15
06-03-2004, 08:02 PM
I love the shadows on this! Wonderful job. :clap: :clap:

Freedom's poet
06-04-2004, 11:50 PM
This is beautiful Joel. I am stunned that this is your first nude!! Amazing!!

Susan

peoplepainter
06-05-2004, 04:59 AM
See Joel? This is what I meant when I told you how I loved how others know when to stop and leave it painterly. This is fantastic. The colors are wonderful, so warm. I worry about where you get your photos (wink) but that aside...
So, wanna tell me how you got the great texture? It looks so much like an oil painting it's insane.
Darn you, you have made me want to try something painterly. I'll get you for that...
Really great. In my opinion it is one of the best ones I have seen of yours. Where do you get the time?

You know what? One day, some of us ought to start with the same photo and see what each of us comes up with and compare. It would be fun! We could have a few guidelines...just a few but then off we could all go! What do you think? We could each post a photo and then vote on which one to use to make it fair. Just a thought...

Cronious
06-05-2004, 06:35 AM
Joel, this is exceptional, I love the pallet, and the brush strokes as always

My only worry is the bottom of the lady, where it goes into shadow it looks too thin where the hips should be.

Hope this helps